Not Quite Arm-Fall-Off Lad

DataPacRat

Recently, I've literally dreamed up a character with an interesting set of abilities, and, naturally, am now trying to build them in HERO. :) I can manage most of it, but am futzing around with the main superpower. I'm pretty sure it's some variation of Duplication and Teleport, but /which/ variation, well...

Power description:

1. This being can remove his body-parts, generally at the joints - arm, hand, finger, head, ear, etc. He still feels them, they're still part of his body even if they're in the next room (so a toe getting stepped on still hurts), and can be recombined at any time. As he can be in more than one place at a time, this would seem to be some version of Duplication, possibly involving Multiform.

2. In addition, he can 'vanish' any or up to (almost) all of his body, potentially leaving him as just a head, hand, or even an ear. Desolidification, maybe? (Note that this does not affect any clothes worn or items carried, just his own body.)

3. And, finally, the 'vanished' parts can be un-vanished at any of his remaining body parts. For example, if he keeps one knuckle of a pinkie at his safe-house, while the rest of him is on a caper, he can vanish all his body save a toe, un-vanish it at the house, have a meal, relax, and then have himself vanish again and un-vanish it at his toe. Maybe some combination of Duplication's 'can recombine at range' and Teleport with Fixed Floating Locations with Focii?

Re: Not Quite Arm-Fall-Off Lad

I'd write him up using several powers, including:

Stretching that does not pass through intervening space (head in one room, arm in the other, no physical connection but still attached.

Desolidification and Invisibility (for making almost his entire body vanish). The Desolid is affected by attacks that target the remaining body part, the invisibility has a fringe effect (the remaining body part can be spotted)

Teleportation with at least two floating locations (places he has left his body parts).

You've got a lot of stuff going on here - I would suspect definitely for multiple powers to get all the effects you are looking for.

I think Mr mattingly has a good point in invisible, indirect stretching for the toe in the room idea but you have a case for that being too distant for stretching to cope with.

I think that you might want to do this via focus based clairsentience. The special effects of that clairsentience would be that you would have had to be in the location - or have a body part moved to that location before you can 'view' it - obviously the view you would get would depend on the senses available to the body part left there.

the foci would be indestructable though would feed damage back tot he character - they are still part of you.

The vanishing aspect is a difficult one - though very interesting. :)

I initially thought about shrinking for that - you are effectively becoming smaller until all you are left with is an eye, ear etc but this does not address the movement aspect.

I think that I would be inclined to use teleport for this - only between various body parts. For moving nowhere, but simply becoming a body part I think I would use EDM - you have only one focus - or several but your 'being' is in a pocket dimension somewhere else. The feedback from the foci maintain the link between the being and the body parts (and I think you might need to have a distinctive looks disad - limited to only when using these powers).

I presume that you could use an ear (for example) to get to a place (location A) - re-attach the ear then appear at another location where you left an eye, with ear intact (location B) but then be unable to get back to location A.

Doc

I'd write him up using several powers, including:

Stretching that does not pass through intervening space (head in one room, arm in the other, no physical connection but still attached.

Desolidification and Invisibility (for making almost his entire body vanish). The Desolid is affected by attacks that target the remaining body part, the invisibility has a fringe effect (the remaining body part can be spotted)

Teleportation with at least two floating locations (places he has left his body parts).

Clairvoyance for leaving sensory organs somewhere other than the main body.

We had a character like that once. A zombie. Rip his eye out and put it somewhere. Spycam! He was build with lots of small powers.

- Telekineses (yeah, stretching would have been better, but we didn't think of that)

- Clairvoyance (eyes/ears)

- Lots of armor/DR/stun/end/str/con

- Life support ("What's this piece?" - "that's your lung." - "oh, where do I put that?")

Some others I don't remember. Turned out fun but really not very powerful. Being able to put your eyes somewhere is not *that* useful if you want them back afterwards.

He got gutted on a regular basis. Even by group mates. And I plead on certifiably insane!

I think Mr mattingly has a good point in invisible' date=' indirect stretching for the toe in the room idea but you have a case for that being too distant for stretching to cope with.[/quote']

Could this be a case for using Megascale on Stretching?

I presume that you could use an ear (for example) to get to a place (location A) - re-attach the ear then appear at another location where you left an eye, with ear intact (location B) but then be unable to get back to location A.

Precisely.

(Toes happen to have a lot of joints, and are generally useless, suggesting that, if they can be safely stored with enough room for the

rest of him to un-vanish, they'd be the ideal 'place-markers'. One at the local base, and several across the globe in various vacation spo- er, trouble sites. Even if something goes wrong and the storage site gets invaded or repossessed or whatever, he can simply vanish the toe-joint from there.)

I'd go with duplication and some pretty impressive teleportation using body parts as floating locations. You probably also need some sort of mind link between the body parts if they are bought as duplication. They might also be sfx of powers: leave an ear in a room and you can hear what goes on there, which would be clairsentience with physical manifestation and a feedback type limitation.

The exact build would depend very much on what you want the body parts to be able to DO when the rest of you is not there. Haveing got this far I'm definitely shading away from multiform and towards the TP+floating locations+power sfx approach: reaslistically only sense organds and maybe a hand can actually do much (the hand could be a contiunuous attach following a grab, for example) - it doesn't seem worth buyilding a spleen as a seperate duplication 'character'.

Clairvoyance for leaving sensory organs somewhere other than the main body.

I use that one for Meeb - he can send a really small psuedopod a ways out, sense things there just as well as where the rest of him is located.

I'd go with the Invis Strecth does not occupy inter distances, Clair voyance, maybe some duplication (if the limbs can act in combat) in a big MP or EC.

I use that one for Meeb - he can send a really small psuedopod a ways out, sense things there just as well as where the rest of him is located.

I'd go with the Invis Strecth does not occupy inter distances, Clair voyance, maybe some duplication (if the limbs can act in combat) in a big MP or EC.

I get the impression that the distance between body parts can be sigificant, and I'm not sure that stretching is really up to it.

Cost Powers END

30 Pulling myself together: Teleportation 20", No Relative Velocity, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +¼), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+¼) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to floating point locations; -1), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Self only - cannot bring anything else along; -½) 7

17 Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (6 Locations) (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Feedback: character takes damage as if the FPL was a body part if attacked; -½), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Physical Manifestation; -¼)

27 Clairsentience (Hearing, Touch And Sight Groups, Normal Smell And Normal Taste), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +¼), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+¼) (75 Active Points); Fixed Perception Point (-1), Physical Manifestation (-¼), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Can only be used at a set floating point location; -¼), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Limited simultaneous uses; -¼) 7

37 Energy Blast 6d6, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +¼), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+¼), Continuous (+1) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Feedback; -½), Physical Manifestation (-¼), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Limited simultaneous uses; -¼) 7

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 111

Total Cost: 111

I would get some kind of limitation on the floating teleportation locations to represent that something can happen to the body part at the relevant location. ("What the ---?!?!? It's a severed toe! I'd better take this to the cops.")

EDIT: Whoops Sean beat me to it.

What about the vanishing Sean?

Shrinking with special effects or EDM and focus?

The vanishing would be accomplished by the teleportation: the body parts are in fact the sfx of the floating point locations, one of which would be the main body, so you could always go TO one of them with a teleport or have one return by 'erasing' the floating point. It requires a bit of handwaving, maybe, depending on how the power is envisaged as working, but it seems reasonably functional.

Also' date=' only one of these at a time, assuming the detached body part isn't the entire head.[/quote']

Indeed, and somne sort of physical limtiation (or lockout if you can work out how to do it) to switch off the particular senses you are using when you have the clairsentience on. The idea needs a LOT of polish :)

The vanishing would be accomplished by the teleportation: the body parts are in fact the sfx of the floating point locations' date=' one of which would be the main body, so you could always go TO one of them with a teleport or have one return by 'erasing' the floating point. It requires a bit of handwaving, maybe, depending on how the power is envisaged as working, but it seems reasonably functional.[/quote']

I guess it is up to the original poster but I thought that one of the things was to vaish leaving only a small part of himself - cheshire cat like -whether or not he would transport to somewhere else.

Doc

I guess it is up to the original poster but I thought that one of the things was to vaish leaving only a small part of himself - cheshire cat like -whether or not he would transport to somewhere else.

Doc

I see what you mean: in that case, yes, shrinking seems to fit the bill nicely.

I like the very limited duplication idea. But you would need the following on the character:

Mindlink (Pieces-of-self only)

Teleport (only to Pieces-of-self)

Life Support - To allow the character to function w/o whatever part was left somewhere else.

This way you don't need clairsentience, stretching, etc. The character is there. You don't need more powers becuse you haven't done anything special with the leftover bits. You can just reassemble. The duplication is expensive, but I think you could slap on a lot more than a -2 power limitation per duplicate.