Do you use miniatures?

Ghost Face

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Do you use miniatures?

Some searches or a visit from TheQuestionMan should dredge up a number of topics.

My group uses figs frequently. Some from lines like Superfigs or the Living Legends figures from Lance & Laser, but mostly cheap Heroclix figs. Ordering singles from places you can get most of the figs for .10 to 1.50 each. We also use a lot of cardboard heroes, some of which you can get via HERO.

I use miniatures all the time in my Champions games.

For a cheap source of superhero minis, I'd recommend Heroclix - they're what I use, anyway. Sure, you don't get a huge range of "generic" superheroes (they're all familiar names to a comic book fan like myself) - but there's so many available, you can't go wrong. There's a lot of Heroclix out there, and many of them have generic enough costumes that a simple paint job is enough to make them look like the heroes you want them to represent - and if you don't want to bother, there'll be somebody that's "close enough". For example - energy projector with high-speed flight? Nova's a good stand-in. Stretchy guy? Mr. Fantastic or Plastic man.

I haven't had to spend a ton of money on them. I haven't bought very many of the actual booster packs (maybe 20, max, in the years since they started making these things) - most of my collection has been a) scammed from buddies who were fine with ditching their extra commons/quintuple copies of figure X, or B) bought individually or en masse from my local gaming store. I don't actually play Heroclix, so I don't care whether or not a mini is veteran, rookie, etc. - I just get them for the figures, so I save some money there.

Also, my local store has a box on the front counter where cheap, extremely common figures are sold on the cheap. Last summer, they got in a huge conglomeration of (relatively common) figures they didn't have room for - I got 120 or so in a single sitting, for less than 25 cents each! (I still could use a lot more Hydra agents, though - there's never enough when the heroes raid a VIPER base...)

My suggestion to you: if you're interested, go to your local gaming store and ask around the Heroclix community. Chances are you'll be able to find someone who's looking to get out of the game and offload the old minis, or someone who's got a zillion rookies/common figs he'd like to get rid of.

I've got a double-decker pizza box full of the things, myself. They're endlessly useful in my campaign.

I like the Hero-Clix myself. I do tend to have more "Street Level" Super Power games more that Super Hero. I enjoy painting so I use alot of the Games Workshop figs, as well as the Street Violence figs from Wargames Foundry:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/SV/5/index.asp but I've heard fairly good things about the Superfigs line--

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=1df3642f38b9fa7efc4146be61c099f0

For our Champions campaign, one guy in our group customized some of his (large!) collection of Heroclix - so we actually have true-to-character minis! There's such a wide variety of Heroclix that you can almost surely find something suitable, even without painting or customizing.

In general, I prefer to use minis, or at least sketched maps and penciled character moves. A picture is worth a thousand words.

We use lead/pewter/plastic minis. In fact, no one gets into combat without a painted figure. Ever. We're picky that way. Then again, my dear husband draws a 'cover' for every game, so we're just crazy artsy/craftsy people like that.

We were fortunate to start our collection of minis way back when, so we have multiple copies of the old Marvel/DC/original Champions figs. However, metal supers have become harder to come by as of late (the current stuff from the D20 is meh...hard to customize). I have used quite a few generic fantasy figs as well, chopping off swords, etc...especially because a naked female slave girl can very easily be turned into spandex clad super female with a coat of paint.

The best thing about metal figs is this: a character leaves, or changes his costume? Drop the figure, painted in acrylic paints, into the 'dip'...dip being Pine Sol. About 24 hours later, the paint is bubbled and peeling, and with a little scrubbing, the figure is clean and ready to be painted fresh.

We are slowly adding the plastic Hero Clix into the mix, but I haven't really painted any of them yet, and I'm wondering if I'll need something other than acrylic to prime them.

Mostly Superfigs minis and HeroScape figures with a few Lord of the Five Rings for some Asian flavored paranormals and a scattering of other fantasy minis...

I recently started looking at the HeroClix figures for modding... also taking a look at the Halo ActionClix figs, neat ideas for hi-tech agents...

For heroes, I've been slowly accumulating heroclix. I'll have to look into that bargain bin idea if my local gaming store has one. I don't like to buy a whole box at once and risk getting dupes I can't use. The bases on Heroclix are a bit large for my taste so I remove the bulky plastic base and glue them to 1" dia. wooden disks purchased at an arts-and-crafts store (Michaels, in my neck of the wood).

I'd like to get my mitts on some "civilians" but so far all I've been able to find are O-scale figures for model train dioramas. One word: pricey (at least where I can find them). If anyone can recommend alternate sources for such, I'd be much obliged.

I use candy.

No, seriously. This isn't my usual "pie" response.

We use a variety of hershey's kisses, candy corn, those little wrapped "treasure" ones, and so on, depending on the size of the creature (or object) in question. Players use individual dice to represent themselves, and when they make a kill, they get to eat the sweet candy of victory. Cheap, easily replenished. and everyone loves candy. You don't want the candy? Back in the bag it goes.

What's really funny is when Chris calls the Dark Cholocate kisses -- "NO ONE ELSE TOUCH HIM! He's MINE!" and everyone sort of stares.

"Thia, what is that thing anyway?"

"Him? Oh." "That's the unit commander. He's an eight foot tall Bugbear with a spiked club. And an entourage." :eg:

My group has improvised with using fantasy miniatures in our campaigns. I wanted to know does anyone here use superhero minis? I have found some paper ones but wanted to know if anyone knew where I could find some 3d super minis?

I've always used paper counters (blanks that the players can decorate as they will) and carboard heros, SJG put out a bunch of good supers, and I use the normals and fantasy stuff as well...

Never.

It is a major waste of time to modify existing lines to resemble the characters you need.

I have used dice on the map since before Champions.

Different sizes and colors of 6-sided for none named NPC's & small creatures.

Polys for Named characters (PC and Villain/Heroes) and large Creatures.

I never did miniatures until I joined my current game group. Now I have more miniatures then all the members combined. I'm the default miniature guy.

As I type this, I have a scorpion man drying out for our current fantasy game, but I've modified clix, painted superfigs of all kinds, and adapted fantasy minis.

I have a small selection that resemble actual champions villains, but mostly I make a fig for each PC, and try to find something close enough for the bad guys. If I don't have something, I make something from parts. If it takes more than two days, inlcuding drying time, then I pretty much forget about it.

Our group uses my selection of cardboard minis. I have Cardboard Heroes from SJG, a bunch of the Marvel Superheroes minis, and a ton that I've found online or made myself from character art that I've found on the Web.

(I still could use a lot more Hydra agents, though - there's never enough when the heroes raid a VIPER base...)

Honestly for agents that your heroes are going to steamroll through get M&Ms or Hersheys kisses in the colored wrappers, then they have positive reinforcement for taking out the mooks.

"Fighting evil was never so tasty!"

My group always uses heroclix figures for superhero campaigns. I bought a box load from a popular auction site for £15. It had over 100 figures in it, which was more than enough for our needs.

The bases are a bit large, but as someone previously suggested, they can be removed from existing bases and stuck onto 1" bases.

You have a lot of options. In essence, if you don't want to use 'em, don't... its not a big deal. If you do, there's a variety of sources.

Paper Miniatures like input.jacks work wonders for groups that just want something on the table and don't want to drop a lot of cash. If you like actual miniatures, the heroclix mentioned above have a huge variety, the annoying bit is trying to get the particular miniatures you want for whatever reason. The old stand-by of proxies work fine, of course, as well.

There are a few miniature companies that support supers, but not a lot. Depending on your tastes, there's a few options. For more of the classic type stuff:

Superfigs which is through Old Glory. I actually have a miniature in their fan section named Inferno.

Living Legends through Lance and Laser

There are also old Silver Age Sentinels miniatures (only about 7 of them) out there somewhere.

For futuristic or power armor types, try Infinity through Corvus Belli

For more modern style characters, try HassleFree or Heresy. Heresy also has a lot of goofy stuff and demons.

Freebooter has some neat stuff, too. There a lot of miniature companies out there. A shop I like a lot, that has a lot of stuff, is http://www.fantization.com/ which has an excellent selection of miniatures including many of those mentioned above.

Like some others here, I love miniatures. =) I do most of the miniatures for my group, though I'm extremely slow at getting to them, and we use clix to represent what I haven't done. My problem is that I have a tendency to want to alter a lot of miniatures, and I'm extremely slow at getting my sculpting done.

Guest steamteck

We use homemade counters with full body pictures of the characters and extensive maps. I find it really makes combat more interesting and avoid tons of confusion. We can have 100s of counters in a couple of drawer boxes so storage is much better than minis. The home made counters can be tailored to the character so the player identifies with it more.

We use homemade counters with full body pictures of the characters and extensive maps. I find it really makes combat more interesting and avoid tons of confusion. We can have 100s of counters in a couple of drawer boxes so storage is much better than minis. The home made counters can be tailored to the character so the player identifies with it more.

What kind of software/method do you use to make them?

I make custom cardboard heroes for my PCs, others, and recurring villains.

It's impossible to find miniatures for most of my PCs, so it's the only way to get something that accurately describes them.

Then.....same question I asked steamteck :D