ST: How Not To Do Homages (Trivia)

Vondy

In James Elroy's magnum opus LA Confidential, which was printed a decade before ST: Voyager...

La Confidential: Katherine Janeway is a teen-hooker who is violently raped and beaten to death. And, the Night Owl was an all night diner where a multiple homicide that plays a major part in the novel occurs (the second section is called "Night Owl"). Tangentially, the previously mentioned hooker's pimp is one of the victims in the Night Owl slayings.

ST: VOY: Captain Katherine Janeway's favorite place to pull all nighters during the academy was a coffee shop named... the Night Owl. Now, I know science fiction writers in general, and star trek writers in particuliar, love to slip in homages and in jokes...

But there's something very disturbing about the mind that decided to make this particuliar nod to Elroy.

Re: ST: How Not To Do Homages (Trivia)

I don't think it is anything but a coincidence - or possibly a subconscious decision. "Night Owl" is fairly appropriate for a shop selling stimulants.

This doesn't make Voyager any more likeable, or easier to watch, however - but I don't think anything will.

Except possibly being forced to watch Enterprise :)

I don't think it is anything but a coincidence - or possibly a subconscious decision. "Night Owl" is fairly appropriate for a shop selling stimulants.

This doesn't make Voyager any more likeable, or easier to watch, however - but I don't think anything will.

Hey, I liked Enterprise!

Or rather, that episode that started out with the guy from First Contact who invented the hyperdrive pulling a shotgun on the first Vulcans to make contact with Earth. Awesome.

Hey, I liked Enterprise!

This is one of those "to each his own," issues.

I, personally, enjoy enterprise. There were some legitimate continuity issues (as well as a lot of bitching based on "false canon"), but overall I liked the show. The writing was hit and miss, but that - and continuity issues - are par for the course with all live-action trek.

I mean, really, go back and look at TOS. It was very hit and miss, had canon issues itself (within a brief three year run no less), frequently made no sense whatsoever, and fell apart in its third season. It was the movies that kicked TOS into shape (and some of those sucked wind too).

In fact, I have a hard time watching TOS. Heresy? Probably, but I don't care. The simple fact is I was born after it was cancelled and its 60's zeitgeist is cheese to me. It was novel in its day, but bleh by the time I encountered it.

To make matters worse: while I like Sulu, Chekov, Scotty, Bones, and Uhura in the TV episodes of TOS, I can't stand Kirk and Spock (though I like Kirk in the movies: I think its because Shatner stopped taking himself so seriously by then). In the books its a different story - I like many TOS books.

Yes, I admit it, I dislike spock as much as many dislike T'Pol.

Enterprise had some things going for it and found itself in its 4th season, but it never got a chance to go beyond that (the planned 5th season looked like it would be fun). I would note TNG blew chunks in its first three seasons and then got much better. It just had time to recover because it didn't get cancelled. And heck, its handling of the Ferengi contact made no internal sense, either.

In fact, the irreconcilable ferengi episode of Enterprise (one of the few continuity issues that an active mind that doesn't want to be spoon fed its canon can't find a reasonable explanation for) was very amusing if you just relaxed and got into the show.

The key to trek is: its good entertainment insofar as you don't take it seriously.

We all have preferences. Mine in order are...

Deep Space 9

ST Movies II-III, VII-IX

TNG Seasons 4-7

Enterprise

ST Movie IV, VI, X.

TNG Seasons 1-3.

TOS

Voyager

ST Movies I, V.

And remember: long-haired vulcan priestesses in see-through dresses exercising psychokinesis are canon!

MWAHAHAHA!!!!

In fact... the fan insistance on female vulcans with spock hair-dos makes me what happened to all those long haired vulcan chicks from the 60's....

Or rather, that episode that started out with the guy from First Contact who invented the hyperdrive pulling a shotgun on the first Vulcans to make contact with Earth. Awesome.

In a Mirror Darkly 1 and 2 were very well done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lemme guess - you're not 7 of 9's biggest fan? . . .

But you gotta admit - at least they got rid of Janeway's damn fool hair do from Season 1 to 3. Or as Carrie Fisher would have said "Hair don't".:D

I was old enough to be a fan of TOS before there was any other source of 'canon' so I did cleave to every little clue it offered - like the establishment of the federation being a periold of violence and calamity that required hard men like Cpt Garth, or the draft of Gaurdians of Forever, that revealed it was humans who ushered Vulcans into space, not vice-versa, or the implication in "The Savage Curtain" that Surak was an ancient figure in Vulcan history.

Maybe that's psuedo-cannon, but it's all we had back then. ;)

I certainly got the impression that Enterprise started out with that whole 'Temporal Cold War' thing, so that they could simply do whatever they wanted without regard for continuity or canon, real or imagined.

I was old enough to be a fan of TOS before there was any other source of 'canon' so I did cleave to every little clue it offered - like the establishment of the federation being a periold of violence and calamity that required hard men like Cpt Garth, or the draft of Gaurdians of Forever, that revealed it was humans who ushered Vulcans into space, not vice-versa, or the implication in "The Savage Curtain" that Surak was an ancient figure in Vulcan history.

Maybe that's psuedo-cannon, but it's all we had back then. ;)

I certainly got the impression that Enterprise started out with that whole 'Temporal Cold War' thing, so that they could simply do whatever they wanted without regard for continuity or canon, real or imagined.

How could humans have ushered Vulcans into space when the pre-Romulans had already left centuries before?

How could humans have ushered Vulcans into space when the pre-Romulans had already left centuries before?

I guess two possibilities. Either the Vulcans had given up space tech, and humans reintroduced it to them, or it was before the Romulan connection had been established. ^_-