Time Travel Wish List?

bcaplan

Re: Time Travel Wish List?

while my first thought is Dublin, 1916, the irony of realizing that what I once thought was a past life memory was in fact a premonition would be grim indeed.

If I wanted to feel accepted I'd probably aim for SF, 1965-ish

I'd almost certainly settle on the era of my most fascination & research, pre-christian Ireland. Maybe during the reign of Cormac MacAirt, early 3rd century. Fionn MacCumhal era. See what it was REALLY like during one of the golden ages of the Emerald isle

Earliest times: Teotiuuacan c. 200AD, Cahokia, c. 1200AD; Uruk c. 3100BC, Erlitou, c. 1700BC.

Ancient Middle East: Hattusas, c. 1300BC; the Egyptian Delta, c. 1185BC, because I so want Alessandra Nibbi's theory about the "Sea Peoples" to be true; 610BC, Assyria, c. 610BC.

Classical times: Miletus, c. 550BC, Athens every generation or so to watch a new layer of manure laid down. Massilia, c. 210BC to get a well-informed neutral's perspective on what is really going on with this Roman-Carthaginian War.

Old India: Harappa c. 1500BC; meet Asoka, and the Buddha, wherever/whenever; Nailandia, c. 1200AD.

Old Europe: Lindisfarne, January 8, 792AD (Old Style): "Viking raid" in January my arse. Whodunnit?

Inner Asia: Semipalatinsk, c. 1600AD. Semipalatinsk doesn't have a history, you say? That's what happens when history (in this case the Zungarian Empire) gets erased.

The Reconnaissance: Calicut when da Gama arrives; and I want to launch a massive surveillance operation all up and down the east coast of North America from about 1492 to 1700. The mystery here is mass history, not individuals, but it is a real one nonetheless.

That's enough for now.

1. 30AD, in what is now Israel: I'd love to get a first-hand look at what (if anything) was going on with the carpenter's son.

2. 3000BC, Giza, Egypt: Are the Sphinx and Great Pyramid already here?

3. 250AD, Alexandria, Egypt: The great library. Maybe I can rescue some of the most ancient works from destruction...

1. 30AD, in what is now Israel: I'd love to get a first-hand look at what (if anything) was going on with the carpenter's son.

2. 3000BC, Giza, Egypt: Are the Sphinx and Great Pyramid already here?

3. 250AD, Alexandria, Egypt: The great library. Maybe I can rescue some of the most ancient works from destruction...

Yeah, those'll do. I'm surprised how little interest I have in this topic. :think: The first thing that came to my mind was A Good Man is Hard to Find, wherein he states "I don't know, do you understand? I don't know." Which is Derek's point one. That's something I'd like to have seen for myself.

The other problem is that I want to see The Beginning. I wanna know how it really started. Which wasn't covered here. And if I could hang with Moses for a while, that'd work also.

Travel to? no thanks. Be able to record events about? Yes, please. Open up a pinhole in time to be able to witness the events transpiring without having to deal with the issues of really knowing the dress or languages of the time. Could then move it through history recording events in time lapse... Think about watching the pyramids of Egypt backwards to see when they were each really built and how...

Travel to? no thanks. Be able to record events about? Yes' date=' please. Open up a pinhole in time to be able to witness the events transpiring without having to deal with the issues of really knowing the dress or languages of the time. Could then move it through history recording events in time lapse... Think about watching the pyramids of Egypt backwards to see when they were each really built and how...[/quote']

Just don't step on any butterflies.

Guest Major Tom

My choices for a time travel wish list? Just these three bits of historical mystery:

1.) Roanoke.

2.) The Tunguska Event.

3.) Judge Crater.

Major Tom :dyn

The short story was an interesting premise (Chaos effects from minor perturbations of a system). Personally I would not want to be present for things like the Tunguska event. I have this thing about wanting to live to remember what I saw.

If you were playing a time travel RPG' date=' what are your top 3 space-times to visit? Please limit yourself to Earth, pre-2008 AD. And just to make the challenge more fun, let's rule out Nazi Germany and the U.S. Civil War. ;)[/quote']

As a spectral observer, or physically there? In the later case, how rigid is the time line? Can history be changed, and should it? Who wouldn't finance Bill Gates' start up money, if they could? (Not only Butterfly Effect, but Monkey's Paw effect to consider also).

1. 30AD' date=' in what is now Israel: I'd love to get a first-hand look at what (if anything) was going on with the carpenter's son.[/quote']

Scooped me. I was going to post that idea, but my ISP crashed. :rolleyes:

My second choice would be *NEAR* but not at the Bosporus about 10,000 BC to see if there was a neolithic culture on the "lower" beaches of the Black Sea, and to see that huge waterfall. Or be disappointed to see nothing of the sort. :(

Third, to follow that up, would be when Gibraltar opened and drowned the Med basin. A waterfall twelve miles wide and a mile deep would be pretty spectacular. :eek:

On the subject of natural disasters: The last time the Yellowstone cauldron blew (how far away would I have to be to survive *that*?), or that weird canyon land (can't think of the name) in East Washington State, that was carved in moments by Lake Missoula collapsing?

new 1st choice, on the subject of missing persons, how about this one? Hanging out with Alexander the Great's funeral train to see where he finally was planted.

Midas

The Plains, early 1800s. Love to see the size of buffalo herds before the dwindled (smell might be rotten though)

I'd also like to see a 19th century baseball game. Given all the rule changes over the years, it would just be interesting.

For #3. Maybe when the Constitution was formed back in 1787.

Mesopotamia Era

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesopotamia

Achaemenid Empire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achaemenid_Empire#Culture

Italian Renaissance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Renaissance

or

The Year 2060

- Isaac Newton predicted the Armageddon would happen no earlier than 2060

- 666 Desdemona is a minor planet orbiting the Sun.

- Me at 100yrs old

Cheers

QM

Personally I would not want to be present for things like the Tunguska event. I have this thing about wanting to live to remember what I saw.

To say nothing of maybe discovering the hard way that you were the CAUSE of such events. Which is why I also go with observing such events from a great distance, NOT visiting in person.

Especially in any RPG. To paraphrase, "the perversity of the GM tends towards a maximum". If the GM allows you to visit a place/time that is both interesting and dangerous, this is never a good thing.

To say nothing of maybe discovering the hard way that you were the CAUSE of such events. Which is why I also go with observing such events from a great distance, NOT visiting in person.

Especially in any RPG. To paraphrase, "the perversity of the GM tends towards a maximum". If the GM allows you to visit a place/time that is both interesting and dangerous, this is never a good thing.

Isn't visiting places that are interesting and dangerous the point of the game?

Guest Major Tom

The short story was an interesting premise (Chaos effects from minor perturbations of a system). Personally I would not want to be present for things like the Tunguska event. I have this thing about wanting to live to remember what I saw.

It's not impossible to survive something like the Tunguska Event, provided

that you're far enough away from it to not get caught by things like the

thermal pulse. Right after the first A-bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, one of

the survivors returned to his home in Nagasaki by train, and had just gotten

to his home and was starting to tell his wife what had happened when the

second A-bomb was dropped. The second he saw the flash, he threw himself

and his wife into their bomb shelter, thus surviving two atomic attacks.

Major Tom :dyn