Lewis Carrol Hero

Vestnik

Re: Lewis Carrol Hero

Or we can go all the way back to the source and The Song of Roland' date=' or even [i']The Faerie Queen[/i] if we really wanna break out the nerd hats. :king: I got so much static for reading that book...

"Hey, Thia, are you a fag?"

"Wait, what are you talking about?"

"Faerie Queen! HA HA HA!"

"Ingrate." :mad:

Then there was the justice that came from sparring practice. :eg:

"I'm gonna fight Thia!"

(and the entire group glanced around nervously)

Thia picks up his trusty two-handed boffer and spins it casually, before dropping into a wide middle-guard combat stance.

"Bring it."

Thia proceeds to tear his opposition to pieces, landing three blows in under seven seconds before the ref can call a Hold. This repeated for about an hour before the idiot gave up. I don't even remember his name anymore.

MY HERO!!!!:hail:

Ok, sorry, just drop it...:idjit:

If you're looking for an excellent source of inspiration, I'd highly recommend Frank Beddor's The Looking Glass Wars. Wonderful take on Wonderland.

The premise is that the Queen of Hearts is also known as Queen Redd, and she's Alice's aunt, and Alice is the rightful princess. She gets exiled to Earth, where she meets Lewis Carroll, who hears her story, but changes it to make it easier for Victorian England to digest. Meanwhile, Alice is being searched for by her guardian Madigan, the famous Hatter.

I've only started the second book, Seeing Red, so I can't comment, but the first book is incredible. Tons of good ideas for setting a campaign against the backdrop of Wonderland using native characters.

Good luck!

If you're looking for an excellent source of inspiration' date=' I'd highly recommend Frank Beddor's The Looking Glass Wars. Wonderful take on Wonderland.

The premise is that the Queen of Hearts is also known as Queen Redd, and she's Alice's aunt, and Alice is the rightful princess. She gets exiled to Earth, where she meets Lewis Carroll, who hears her story, but changes it to make it easier for Victorian England to digest. Meanwhile, Alice is being searched for by her guardian Madigan, the famous Hatter.

I've only started the second book, Seeing Red, so I can't comment, but the first book is incredible. Tons of good ideas for setting a campaign against the backdrop of Wonderland using native characters.

Good luck!

Hmmmm. Vaugely like Wicked?: http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Times-Witch-Harper-Fiction/dp/0061350966/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200642487&sr=1-1

It's funny -- I reread Alice in Wonderland recently, and thought it was brilliant. I also reread The Wizard of Oz for the first time since I was about 10 or so, and thought it was lame. Carrol >>>> Baum. :)

Hmmmm. Vaugely like Wicked?

Only in the sense that is a new take on an established universe. Wicked feels very much like a True Story of the Three Little Pigs story - let me tell it from the other side's perspective. The Looking Glass Wars is more of an expansion. I prefer The Looking Glass Wars to Wicked by a good margin.

Has anyone else read it? The Hatter backpacks, which basically turn ordinary people into Inspector Gadgets, are awesome. So are the Card Soldiers. Super cybernetic robots. And the caterpillars.

I'm going to go keep reading Seeing Redd. I LOVE this series.

OK, let me get this out of the way first ---- Lewis Carroll is a ****ing GENIUS!!! I *adore* his works.

*ahem* I recommend The Annotated Alice and More Annotated Alice by Martin Gardner. Terrific research into the Alice books.

Don't make the Alice-verse "coherent." It's supposed to be nonsensical. After all, C. L. Dodgson was a scholar of Logic (back when it was a sub-field of language, rather than of "mathematics"), and he delighted in the illogical things one could do with words.

BTW, if your players make it through Wonderland and Through-the-Looking-Glass, try them on the land of Hunting Of The Snark. Now *there* is a truly *odd* work. Well beyond the Alice books.

Don't make the Alice-verse "coherent." It's supposed to be nonsensical. After all, C. L. Dodgson was a scholar of Logic (back when it was a sub-field of language, rather than of "mathematics"), and he delighted in the illogical things one could do with words.

Sure. But I want coherency. It's the way my mind works. Also, it's an interesting intellectual exercise.

How's this? The Land of Oz (pre-Ozma return) is ruled by evil forces. Oz scientists discover a means to cross the Great Desert' date=' and encounter their neighbor, Wonderland. An invasion ensues.[/quote']

That works, but if you call it "The Oh Zee" you'll get lynched.

That works' date=' but if you call it "The Oh Zee" you'll get lynched.[/quote']

Oh come one... you didn't like Tin Man? I thought it wasn't bad at all. An interesting spin on the original story. Sure, it was cheesy and had crappy SFX, but hey, that's why we all love sci-fi B movies, no? :)

Oh come one... you didn't like Tin Man? I thought it wasn't bad at all. An interesting spin on the original story. Sure' date=' it was cheesy and had crappy SFX, but hey, that's why we all love sci-fi B movies, no? :)[/quote']

I love Neil McDonough. He's one of those actors where I don't mind seeing him play Neil McDonough. But overall, I though the show was just weak. The Wicked Witch had a great rack, though.

If you're looking for an excellent source of inspiration' date=' I'd highly recommend Frank Beddor's The Looking Glass Wars. Wonderful take on Wonderland.

Good luck!

As wonderful as that sounds, I can't get past "Alyss." *shudders*