A katana. Yes. I am an idiot.

Nagisawa Takumi

Re: A katana. Yes. I am an idiot.

According to UMA, it comes to 45 Active, 15 Real Points.

But I feel I must protest the +1 OCV. I don't feel it's realistic, but one could of course argue that the write-up reflects the Über-Weapon reputation the katana enjoys. :)

And I'd make the Range Based on STR a Naked Advantage for characters with the right training. It isn't balanced to be thrown any more than other swords.

I agree with the protest of the +1 OCV the Katana has over other swords. I think ALL swords in HERO should posses +1 OCV because of their supreme balance when compared with other melee weapons, most of which tend to be top-heavy (maces, hammers, axes, polearms...lets not even talk about flails!).

Just about all melee weapons in HERO get some kind of bonus. Picks get Armor Piercing, Flails get Indirect, Axes do +1DC more than other melee weapons of appropriate size class, spears and polearms get reach bonus etc, but swords (and maces) get no bonus at all. Why would anyone choose to use a sword over other melee weapons other than simple roleplaying considerations?

Thus I think all swords (or at least most of them) should get +1 OCV to represent their better overall balance compared to other weapons and would be a nod toward their popularity over the centuries.

To be fair' date=' they get that little bonus to Disarm, if you use the Special Maneuvers For Weapons rule on pp. 188-189 of Fantasy Hero.[/quote']

+1 OCV to disarm?

I don't have a copy of Fantasy Hero, so I'm unaware of that addition. (I need to get one seriously...but bills keep getting in the way)

I also happen to think that Staves should get a +2 OCV to Sweep.

+2 OCV for Disarm for Medium Blades, +1 Lightning Reflexes for themselve only for Short Blades.

Damn bills. :mad:

+2 to Disarm? Thats a pretty hefty bonus!

+1 Lightning Reflexes for small blades (dagger included?). In that case, shouldn't punching with your fist get the same bonus? Maybe not...its probably an angle of attack issue necessary to do sufficient damge with your fists over simply stabbing with a blade.

I think ALL swords in HERO should posses +1 OCV because of their supreme balance when compared with other melee weapons' date=' most of which tend to be top-heavy (maces, hammers, axes, polearms...lets not even talk about flails!).[/quote']

Hear, hear! And it should be noted that this is how swords were defined in previous editions of Hero. But 5th took it away, to my eternal annoyance.

IMO swords should get +1 OCV not just for balance reasons, but because you can both slash and stab with them effectively. Few other melee weapons have that capability.