Deaf, Dumb, and Blind

Vestnik

Re: Deaf, Dumb, and Blind

A followup to my Pointy Friend thread.

The AI I'm building can see and hear through the senses of others (Clairsentience) -- and ONLY through those senses. Would you count this as a Disad? If so, how much?

Are AIs assumed to have senses to start off with at all?

AI's are built as characters, so would be assumed to have the starting sesnes any other character does. Lack of those senses would (IMHO) constitute a disad. The power can partially overcome the disad.

Re: Deaf, Dumb, and Blind

AI's are built as characters' date=' so would be assumed to have the starting sesnes any other character does. Lack of those senses would (IMHO) constitute a disad. The power can partially overcome the disad.[/quote']

Actually, I'm not sure this is the case. I culled this data from the FAQ:

What can a Computer perceive? If bought with Eidetic Memory, can it automatically “record” everything it perceives?

Computers cannot, by themselves, “perceive.” Unlike Automatons, they don’t come with the basic suite of Senses for free. They have to be hooked into sensory systems (like the security cameras at a base, or the sensors on a starship) to give them the ability to perceive, or the builder has to buy the Computer specific senses (use the costs from the sidebar on 5E 105 for normal Senses). If bought with the ability to perceive, a Computer can make PER Rolls based on its INT, and can recall things it has perceived with an INT Roll.

One could argue that an AI isn't the same as a Computer, but IMO the distinctions between them don't apply to the Senses ruling. If that's the case, only perceiving through Clairsentience wouldn't constitute a Disadvantage, since it's the equivalent of buying a Sense to allow the AI to perceive.