'70s TV Supers

wrestlinggeek

Just thought I'd see what Herodom assembled thougth of this idea. The thought occurred to me last night right before I drifted off to sleep. what would everyone think of a campaign geared toward recreating the feel of the old superhero TV shows of the 1970s and early '80s? Shows such as Wonder Woman, The Incredible Hulk, and The Six Million Dollar Man, as well as the Spider-Man and Captain America TV movies. Lower-powered heroes, as much time spent out of costume as in (if not more), and plots involving people who just happened to cross paths with the PCs this week. Guns would be dangerous (even the Hulk wasn't bulletproof on TV), thugs would stand half a chance, and villains would be much less flashy, relying on their brains, hirelings, and weapons rather than powers of their own (in most cases).

So, what's the consensus? Would you play in a game like this? Do you even remember the shows I'm talking about? What point levels would you recommend using (I'm thinking maybe 100/75, or maybe 125/75 at the highest)? All feedback appreciated.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: '70s TV Supers

Could be fun' date=' I would allow someone to be bulletproof, if that was there power[/quote']

Well, obviously, if being bulletproof was the "shtick" someone wanted for their character, I would allow that. As long as no campaign guidlines were violated. But just as in a regular Champions game, the toughest guy in the group is gonna fall short somewhere else, you know? Think I'll work up a "Rule of X." If, that is, I ever get the chance to run something like this.

Sounds fantastic! I raided a lot of 70s TV Supers shows when I built my own campaign.

Generally, I'd limit DCs, OCV, DCV, PD, ED, and possibly active points, but go with 350 point characters. However, point level is secondary to flavor.

Strength probably caps off around 50 at most; everything the Hulk, Steve Austin or Wonder Woman lifted had to be movable on a 70s TV SFX budget. The exception would be live action giant characters from the period (Ultraman, Ambasador Magma, Inframan, etc; though while those shows were on air in the 60s-70s, many were set in an imagined version of the 1990s), if you choose to allow them at all. Personally, I love the idea of Steve Austin and Diana Prince in America while Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong have to deal with constant giant monster attacks. :)

The most powerful Superheroes of the period and medium are probably Darna (a Filipino Supergirl, powers reduced for TV) and Captain Marvel. A fun background idea might be that the TV Superheroes of the 50s & 60s were real, but are now retired, giving you TVs Superman, Batman, and Green Hornet.

Bruce Lee is still around and about to hit the height of his fame in the 1970s, and was doing American TV shows in the 1960s; Chuck Norris is just starting his film career, as are Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan. Plenty of chances for some martial artist characters.

You might also consider whether Dr.Who is running around in England.

I'd suggest the OSI as a generally benevolent organization to sponsor your heroes.

So, um, yup. A groovy 1970s campaign with a power level set to TV standards would rock. :)

Sounds fantastic! I raided a lot of 70s TV Supers shows when I built my own campaign.

Generally, I'd limit DCs, OCV, DCV, PD, ED, and possibly active points, but go with 350 point characters. However, point level is secondary to flavor.

Strength probably caps off around 50 at most; everything the Hulk, Steve Austin or Wonder Woman lifted had to be movable on a 70s TV SFX budget. The exception would be live action giant characters from the period (Ultraman, Ambasador Magma, Inframan, etc; though while those shows were on air in the 60s-70s, many were set in an imagined version of the 1990s), if you choose to allow them at all. Personally, I love the idea of Steve Austin and Diana Prince in America while Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong have to deal with constant giant monster attacks. :)

The most powerful Superheroes of the period and medium are probably Darna (a Filipino Supergirl, powers reduced for TV) and Captain Marvel. A fun background idea might be that the TV Superheroes of the 50s & 60s were real, but are now retired, giving you TVs Superman, Batman, and Green Hornet.

Bruce Lee is still around and about to hit the height of his fame in the 1970s, and was doing American TV shows in the 1960s; Chuck Norris is just starting his film career, as are Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan. Plenty of chances for some martial artist characters.

You might also consider whether Dr.Who is running around in England.

I'd suggest the OSI as a generally benevolent organization to sponsor your heroes.

So, um, yup. A groovy 1970s campaign with a power level set to TV standards would rock. :)

I was trying to avoid Batman becuse of the over-the-top camp of the show. But having the '50s TV Superman in the background would be cool. And yeah, Green Hornet would fit right in here. As for the others, I don't know a lot about foreign TV of the era, but some research in that direction could be fun.

And the Doctor certainly could show up. Hmm.... maybe I'l l even throw in The Greatest American Hero. Could be fun to have a character who could be incredibly powerful if all his powers weren't either Uncontrolled or had an Activation Roll. And he never did get the hang of landing. And yes, OSI would definitly be in there. In fact, rather than set the campaign in that time period, maybe I'd do it as the modern day in which those shows are the past. So, Peter Parker became Spider-Man about 30 years ago, Steve Austin's bionics are old tech by now, etc... Hmmm:think:

I was trying to avoid Batman becuse of the over-the-top camp of the show. But having the '50s TV Superman in the background would be cool. And yeah, Green Hornet would fit right in here. As for the others, I don't know a lot about foreign TV of the era, but some research in that direction could be fun.

And the Doctor certainly could show up. Hmm.... maybe I'l l even throw in The Greatest American Hero. Could be fun to have a character who could be incredibly powerful if all his powers weren't either Uncontrolled or had an Activation Roll. And he never did get the hang of landing. And yes, OSI would definitly be in there. In fact, rather than set the campaign in that time period, maybe I'd do it as the modern day in which those shows are the past. So, Peter Parker became Spider-Man about 30 years ago, Steve Austin's bionics are old tech by now, etc... Hmmm:think:

Might be worth finding the Bionic movies (they made 3 for TV IIRC), at least two I feel were attempts to create new Bionic series, that did not go over well.

Might be worth finding the Bionic movies (they made 3 for TV IIRC)' date=' at least two I feel were attempts to create new Bionic series, that did not go over well.[/quote']

I remember those. IIRC, at least one of them had new, younger bionic agents with more powerful tech in them. Including a laser beam in the bionic eye (which the TV Austin never had, even though the character he was based on, from the novels, did).

I'm thinking that most of the time an 8 DC cap would be appropriate (considering that normals - and most opponents were - just never seemed to get hurt by the heroes much.)

I'd remove the OCV and DCV penalties for performing grabs and throws, or perhaps give those maneuvers increased OCV with them (to help make them the favoured maneuvers.)

"Bulletproof" should generally be bought with Missile Deflection, even if the special effect is just standing there and taking it, rather than rPD, because usually if you're bulletproof you stop what you're doing to "show" that you're bulletproof. It's likely that the Missle Deflection won't work on thrown handguns (okay, that's 50's TV supers.)

Flight should usually be noncombat only. People fly where they're going, and then slug it out on foot.

At least one villain has to look like Rene Aubenjourois.

Killing Attacks should be discouraged for the heroes. Maybe even disallowed.

I'd go 300 pts. 200 pts. base and up to 100 in disads. The heroes just seemed to have fewer disadvantages.

I'm thinking that most of the time an 8 DC cap would be appropriate (considering that normals - and most opponents were - just never seemed to get hurt by the heroes much.)

I'd remove the OCV and DCV penalties for performing grabs and throws, or perhaps give those maneuvers increased OCV with them (to help make them the favoured maneuvers.)

"Bulletproof" should generally be bought with Missile Deflection, even if the special effect is just standing there and taking it, rather than rPD, because usually if you're bulletproof you stop what you're doing to "show" that you're bulletproof. It's likely that the Missle Deflection won't work on thrown handguns (okay, that's 50's TV supers.)

Flight should usually be noncombat only. People fly where they're going, and then slug it out on foot.

At least one villain has to look like Rene Aubenjourois.

Killing Attacks should be discouraged for the heroes. Maybe even disallowed.

I'd go 300 pts. 200 pts. base and up to 100 in disads. The heroes just seemed to have fewer disadvantages.

Good ideas, Kenn. In fact, everyone who's responded so far has given good ideas, or at least something to think about. But doesn't 300 pts. seem a little high for what I'm going for? Might have to play around with some builds and see how it fits. Actually, 300 might be perfect, especially if I could get players to stick to the KISS thoery of character creation.

You might find some ideas you can use in my timeline here. Includes the Secret Links between Gilligan's Island, the Prisoner, the Six Million Dollar Man, and the Greatest American Hero.

BTW' date=' quick look on your site, noticed a common misconception, the name given on the radio in the first episode of Gilligan's Island was Roy Kinkly, not Roy Hinkly Jr. Common mistake, here is a link to Urban Legends for you http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/nonames.asp[/quote']

That's just what they want you to think. ;)

IMDB lists him as Roy Hinkley Jr.

Snopes also has him as Roy Hinkley, in the article you linked to; it just notes that the "jr" is a mistake. I'm OK with that.

If you've got Green Hornet, I assume you also have the Lone Ranger, who was his grandfather.

If you're looking for a master timeline of sorts, I wrote one up a while back that combined the DC and Marvel heroes.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1219989&postcount=1

Some of the featured characters might be too powerful for the game you have in mind, but wherever possible, I've tried to match the date that the heroes were active with the date they were created.

Not sure how much I can add to this that has not already been said but here goes. A lot of old school tv heroing seemed to revolve around weird events sure you had your occasional biker thugs and other various bad guys but you also had the monthly burning building, car wreck, mudslide and avalanches to deal with. I'm not sure if these events will be nearly as interesting as pounding on the aforementioned bikers but for what it's worth that's something that always came to mind.