Missile and homing missile

Doc

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to build some arsenal for a mecha game and I was wondering if there was any ressources for building missiles.

I know I could just build it as a RKA with a zone of effect, but if I do, all of my weapons will just be the same, as I already have lasers and 20mm machineguns.

I had thought to build it like an explosive little flying vehicule. Any suggestions on how to do this well? Is it too complicated regarding the effects and benefices? What are your suggestions?

And for the homing missile?

Thank you very much.

Re: Missile and homing missile

Um...

These are the ANVIL II missiles from HERO: Combat Evolved;

48 Anvil II ASM: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6-1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (192 Active Points); 8 Charges (Must be Reloaded at a UNSC Facility; -1), OIF Bulky (-1), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Travels 200" per Segment, taking a minimum of 1 Segment to Reach its Target; -1/2), Infrared Tracking (Can be Countered with Flares; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4)

240 UNSC M19 SPNKr Rocket Launcher: (Total: 591 Active Cost, 240 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 8d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Penetrating (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Explosion (+1/2) (330 Active Points); 4 clips of 2 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 2 Full Phases; -1 1/4), OAF (Universal; -1), STR Minimum (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 66) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with Equipped Firearms (Real Cost: 4) plus +2 OCV, Equipped Firearms (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), +2 OCV Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 5) plus Area Of Effect Accurate (up to One Hex; +1/2) for up to 330 Active Points of UNSC M19 SPNKr Rocket Launcher, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (247 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) (Real Cost: 165)

And for a pure missile-as-vehicle, I've attached my Shiva Nuclear Missile file, which'll give you some idea of how to handle that.

Missles as vehicles are really overkill - as involved to build as a character, for very little payoff.

A simple way to model a homing missile is with No Range Modifier. You can add limitations (as with the 'Anvil' in the post above) to make it feel more like a missle chasing a target.

I'm not sure in 5th ed has some new advantage for such things. You could use a continuous, uncontrolled, AE: selective-target, attack. The condition for ending the uncontrolled aspect would be it finally hitting something or shooting down the missle, I guess. But that would be a very expensive power for very little real return.

• 7 months later...

I know I'm late to the table with this one, but build em as vehicles. If you are going for a Macross kind of feel to your game, thats the best way to go (where the missiles continue chasing the target for 1 or more turns, the missiles can be targeted and destroyed by gunfire and fooled with chaff/flares)

I know I'm late to the table with this one' date=' but build em as vehicles. If you are going for a Macross kind of feel to your game, thats the best way to go (where the missiles continue chasing the target for 1 or more turns, the missiles can be targeted and destroyed by gunfire and fooled with chaff/flares)[/quote']

Yes, a lot of vehicles in published 5E books, for modern warcraft like fighter planes, or sci-fi starships, use the Missile As Vehicle build, with onboard Computers to provide guidance for homing missiles. Another way would be to build them as Automatons with an INT score as the guidance system. Either method gives you a self-piloting projectile which can pursue enemy vehicles, but which those enemies may elude.

Warheads for the missiles are generally built with one Charge which Never Recovers, representing the missile being destroyed in its own explosion, which brings the cost for the warhead down greatly.

Missile launchers are often designed using the Summon Power for the missile, Slavishly Devoted (the missile is essentially "suicidally loyal"), with Charges on the Summon for the number of missiles the launcher can carry. Unlike buying Vehicle or Automaton missiles as Followers, this method means you only have to buy the missiles once, and never lose the points invested after the missile has been fired and destroyed.

I prefer the "takes extra time" limitation mentioned above. I also sometimes make them Indirect' date=' since the missile can turn if the target does. I also like an "Opposed Skill Roll", 14- vs. targets Combat Piloting. That adds a little bit to the cinematic jinking in the movies.[/quote']

plus this can be used to model the Omega Beam of Darkseid which supposedly cannot miss. Perhaps it never misses because Darkseid has 80 skill levels with Omega Beam?

I know I'm late to the table with this one' date=' but build em as vehicles. If you are going for a Macross kind of feel to your game, thats the best way to go (where the missiles continue chasing the target for 1 or more turns, the missiles can be targeted and destroyed by gunfire and fooled with chaff/flares)[/quote']

I really like this, thanks! Repped.

• 2 months later...

Try these:

AAHM (Air to Air Homing Missile)

Size: 0

BOD: 5 (-5)

STR: 10 (0)

DEX: 25 (45) CV: 8

SPD: 5 (15)

DEF: 8 (18)

KB: -0

Movement:

Flight: 100" (x8) [210] 1 Continuing Charge (1 minute Duration)

Speed: Mach 2.2 or 4000"/turn

Supreme maneuverability: +4lvls with Flight (12)

Targeting System:

+3 OCV (15)

Semi-active Radar Homing: Radio Listen (5) Receives targeting information from the mother craft. As long as the mother craft has the target on Radar, this missile may home in on it.

Warhead:

4D6RKA(60) AP(+1/2)

No range (-1/2) 1 Charge (-2) Side Effect: destroys vehicle (-2)

Proximity Warhead: Explosion (Naked Advantage) for 4D6K (15) Trigger (+1/4)

Explosion is triggered when the missile misses its attack roll by 1-3 points. A miss by more than that amount will not trigger the Proximity function.

Total Cost:

This is a barebones missile that can follow its designated target for 1 minute before running out of fuel. It has a shaped charged warhead with the ability to explode if it is within 5 meters of the target. It can travel at about mach 2.2 at non-combat velocity.

The Targeting system is based on that of the mother craft that fired it. It remains in radio communication with the mother craft and uses its parents radar to track the target. Thus targets may throw chaff to fool it. It is impossible for it to target craft that are invisible to Radar.

Once the missile reaches the target, it attacks with an OCV of 11, if this attack roll misses by 3points or less, the missile explodes, doing reduced damage to the target (this damage should not be Armor Piercing though)

The Flight Skill Levels are always used to reduce Turn Mode. Use a "Dex" roll (14-) in place of a Combat Piloting roll to determine the outcome of Dogfighting.

Obviously this writeup isn't finished yet. I was at work when I posted this, so this is the quick'n'dirty method. I'll flesh out the writeup with full costs in a day or so (when I have time at home)

never built mech

but for supers and modern

i built projectile missiles as RKA, sometimes AOE RKA, with several possible additions

HOMING - i represented as NO RANGE MODIFIER to show that while it can miss it is not gonna miss on account of range since it adjusts in flight.

I would sometimes add extended range to these weapons.

For Giant Robot HERO, I was considering going with a very cinematic fighting style, and including things like 'extra time' (so the missile fires, and begins travelling to its target) and then the jinking rolls/additional attack rolls, and limiting the number of 'passes' that the missile gets (in most cases, no more than 2) before it detonates dramatically. That's an ongoing project, though.