Bewitched "time stop"

SSgt Baloo

In several episodes of Bewitched one of the witches will sometimes "stop time" so she can do something without mortals overhearing/seeing/noticing. When the spell ends, the "mortals" rarely notice that anything is amiss, but if they consult their watches they might wonder where the time has gone. Just how might you go about doing such a thing in Hero?

Re: Bewitched "time stop"

Three methods, all rule legal, all of which I've used in play:

1) Suppress SPD and INT, AOE:R, Personal Immunity. At 0 SPD and INT, people in the area can't act, think, or make PER rolls. The time stopper can do as he likes, and the victims won't be any the wiser unless they check their watches after the time stop ends.

2) Any power with a Time Stop special effect. Captain Chronos in CKC is built on these powers. Probably the most balanced approach in terms of getting what you pay for.

3) Enter the Speed Zone from Ultimate Speedster. An excellent "Time Stop" power, and much more balanced in you get what you pay for terms than EDM plus Transdimensional to achieve the same thing. OTOH, it's pretty much an "I Win" button in many situations.

Three methods, all rule legal, all of which I've used in play:

1) Suppress SPD and INT, AOE:R, Personal Immunity. At 0 SPD and INT, people in the area can't act, think, or make PER rolls. The time stopper can do as he likes, and the victims won't be any the wiser unless they check their watches after the time stop ends.

Understood.

2) Any power with a Time Stop special effect. Captain Chronos in CKC is built on these powers. Probably the most balanced approach in terms of getting what you pay for.

:confused: Huh??? Please elaborate.

3) Enter the Speed Zone from Ultimate Speedster. An excellent "Time Stop" power, and much more balanced in you get what you pay for terms than EDM plus Transdimensional to achieve the same thing. OTOH, it's pretty much an "I Win" button in many situations.

ETSZ is a candidate, but it has problems.

:confused: Huh??? Please elaborate.

Look at the effect, not the special effects. Sam stops time, goes out to a restaurant, picks up a meal, comes back, sets the table, then starts time again; she could do that with Enter the Speed Zone. but she could also do it as the SFX of Life Support: Need Not Eat, Usable by others. Sam stops time, cleans the room, then starts time again; this could be written up as EtSZ, but it could also be written up as Change Environment.

Captain Chronos, an official character from CKC, has many powers using the SFX "Stops time and does X", but built and paid for based on their mechanical effects; it's a fair way to handle this type of character.

Look at the effect, not the special effects. Sam stops time, goes out to a restaurant, picks up a meal, comes back, sets the table, then starts time again; she could do that with Enter the Speed Zone. but she could also do it as the SFX of Life Support: Need Not Eat, Usable by others. Sam stops time, cleans the room, then starts time again; this could be written up as EtSZ, but it could also be written up as Change Environment.

Captain Chronos, an official character from CKC, has many powers using the SFX "Stops time and does X", but built and paid for based on their mechanical effects; it's a fair way to handle this type of character.

Ah. Thanks. Anyone else?

My feeling is that in an RPG "Time Stop" is not something that any PC should be allowed to do, ever. It's just too powerful. It's effectively tasering the whole universe.

How could there ever be a situation of any kind that can't be solved by stopping time and still being able to move about?

And even then, if you really did "stop time," how would the air get out of your way? Air takes time to move. How would you breathe? It would be like trying to move through solid glass, wouldn't it?

My feeling is that in an RPG "Time Stop" is not something that any PC should be allowed to do, ever. It's just too powerful. It's effectively tasering the whole universe.

How could there ever be a situation of any kind that can't be solved by stopping time and still being able to move about?

And even then, if you really did "stop time," how would the air get out of your way? Air takes time to move. How would you breathe? It would be like trying to move through solid glass, wouldn't it?

Yeah, it would be as unrealistic as throwing a tank for a dozen city blocks with only the leverage granted by standing with human-sized feet on pavement, or running across town in time to catch with your hand a rifle bullet aimed at the mayor, or hitting a bad guy with a power bolt that knocks him back through a building without being launched the other way by the recoil, or owning a small jetpack that can somehow make multiple transatlantic flights in a day without refueling.

If you accept that people can affect the time-space continuum itself with their force of will, air resistance is the least of your worries.

I built a version of this ability for my namesake character that only worked when he had a mulitipower slot dedicated to Danger Sense AND the Danger Sense went off. The nature of the Multipower in question means that he is almost halving his normal power level to have this very high END option available.

here's a link to the character

AoE Mind Control to convice the targets are frozen in time?

That's pretty novel, I like it. I'd also consider using Mental Illusions and getting the targets to the point of being detached from reality.

Either of those would be probably better for the "missing time syndrome" than actually stopping time, but that may be sufficient for Bewitched. We don't know that the whole universe was stopped most of the time.

The Until Superpowers Database book has Time stop on page 233.

It is built as:

Extra-Dimensional Movement ("Travel" to the "dimension" where time is stopped for everyone but the character, to any point in that "dimension" corresponding to his current location in normal time-space) 40pts

Granted this version makes it debatable whether or not the time-stopper can affect anything that has been stopped, or if he can simply move.

In "Bewitched" clocks and other items keep moving. People outside are also unaffected. The Drains and other powers will not render the target un-aware that anything funny happened even with IPE I don’t know of any other power that can do that. Mind Control AoE with +20 for no knowledge and a set affect seamed like the only logical choice.

EDIT: The AoE needs to be Selective

How about Extra-Dimensional Travel forward through time UAA? The special effect is the victim is frozen "in time." In other words the victim(s) time travel 5, 10, 15 minutes into the future without noticing (if they don't check their watches.):sneaky:

How about Extra-Dimensional Travel forward through time UAA? The special effect is the victim is frozen "in time." In other words the victim(s) time travel 5' date=' 10, 15 minutes into the future without noticing (if they don't check their watches.):sneaky:[/quote']

To get the intended effect you would also need AoE (radius most likely), Zero Range, and Personal Immunity.

The problem is, (as I said in my previous post) it is highly debatable whether or not you would be able to effect any of the people who are being "stopped" or even items in the area.

IE: Samantha is entertaining guests. Darrin walks in with coffee, trips on the rug and is about to spill the tray all over Mrs. Kravitz. Just before the coffee leaves the tray, Samantha stops time.

Now in the show, Samantha would be able to right Darrin and the tray, move back to her previous position and then start time again.

In Champions, if you use IDM either personally (as described in the UPD) or on the group, there are problems concerning the ability to affect the tray, the coffee, or Darrin. If I am correct, a strict interpretation of the rules would force you to have, in addition to the IDM, a Transdimensional HA with IPE so you can right Darrin and stop the coffee from spilling without anyone noticing.

Below is the Time Stop write-up for Piper from Season 1 of Charmed. The power was created by Thia Halmades for me just the other day. It's super expensive but it does accurately simulate the power as shown in Season 1 of the show.

The Ridiculously Overpowered Time Stop: (Total: 397 Active Cost, 85 Real Cost) Suppress Suppress SPD 18d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (11" Radius; Exactly Fills a Room; +1), Conforming (+1/2) (247 Active Points); Activation Roll 8-, Burnout (Rolled after first full Turn, and every Turn thereafter (see note: Charges); -1 1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Spell (Witchcraft; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (1 Minute Duration Maximum; Spell may end prematurely (Caster Cannot Determine Duration); -1/4) (Real Cost: 55) plus Suppress Suppress INT 10d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (12" Radius; +1 1/4), Conforming (+1/2) (150 Active Points); Activation Roll 8-, Burnout (Burnout Effect tied to "Fly in Amber."; -1 1/2), No Range (-1/2), Linked (Flies in Amber; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Spell (Withcraft; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (See Text "Flies in Amber"; -1/4) (Real Cost: 30)

Below is the Time Stop write-up for Piper from Season 1 of Charmed. The power was created by Thia Halmades for me just the other day. It's super expensive but it does accurately simulate the power as shown in Season 1 of the show.

Here's another version of the Time Stop power from Charmed, from the pages

of Matt's Champions Page ( http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/cspiper.html ):

22 EC (56),"Time Control",14- Activation(-1/2),Concentrate

(-1/4),Doesn't affect good witches.(-1/4),Stopped by any

barrier.(-1/4),Gestures(-1/4)

22a) 6D6 RKA,vs physical defense,1/2 END(+1/4) 4

31b) 6D6 Transform,"From object to object stopped in time.",

minor,Desc: Ends if recast or D6 minutes pass.,No Range

(-1/2),Area Effect(+1),any area,0 END(+1/2) 0

20 4D6 Entangle,has one body,Linked(-1/2),"to Transform.",

Dispels when Transform ends.(-1/2),No Range(-1/2),Doesn't

affect good witches.(-1/4),Stopped by any barrier.(-1/4),14-

Activation(-1/2),Area Effect(+1),any area 8

-Carl-

While Thia's build is awesome. There is a problem with it as relates to this theme.

In Charmed, Piper could only stop people and vehicles. I Bewitched, Samantha could stop a cup of coffee from falling off a tray.

The speed drain version of this power has no effect on falling objects, spilling liquids, or already released projectiles (a bullet in the air would continue to move, as would a thrown ball).

The only way to be able to stop these things as well as people, animals and vehicles, would be to use one of the EDM versions, or a transform similar to what Clsage described. (granted I wouldn't allow a character to gain personal immunity as part of a -1/4 limitation, but thats me.)

While Thia's build is awesome. There is a problem with it as relates to this theme.

In Charmed, Piper could only stop people and vehicles. I Bewitched, Samantha could stop a cup of coffee from falling off a tray.

The speed drain version of this power has no effect on falling objects, spilling liquids, or already released projectiles (a bullet in the air would continue to move, as would a thrown ball).

The only way to be able to stop these things as well as people, animals and vehicles, would be to use one of the EDM versions, or a transform similar to what Clsage described. (granted I wouldn't allow a character to gain personal immunity as part of a -1/4 limitation, but thats me.)

Or Enter the Speed Zone. Or a Special Effect of some other power.

It doesn't matter if the falling coffee cup actually stops in mid air, or if Samantha Enters the Speed Zone and the cup appears to stop from her point of view; to the audience, she "Stopped Time", and it looks the same.

If the actual goal is to stop the falling coffee cup and put it back on the table, safe and sound, Change Environment (Tidy Up) with the Special Effect: Stops and Reverses Time also works fine. The audience and characters can't see the mechanics, just the effects.

Uh, she could stop plates and cups in midair, liquids falling down, etc... Everything but her and her sisters in the room (and later much larger areas) came to a grinding halt when she used her power. She could also selectively unfreeze things like people.

Or Enter the Speed Zone. Or a Special Effect of some other power.

It doesn't matter if the falling coffee cup actually stops in mid air, or if Samantha Enters the Speed Zone and the cup appears to stop from her point of view; to the audience, she "Stopped Time", and it looks the same.

If the actual goal is to stop the falling coffee cup and put it back on the table, safe and sound, Change Environment (Tidy Up) with the Special Effect: Stops and Reverses Time also works fine. The audience and characters can't see the mechanics, just the effects.

You are absolutely right. I was simply looking at this from a strictly rules standpoint. "Entering the Speed Zone" IMO wouldn't be built as a massive area drain, but EDM or Transform.

The problem is that (if you try to use this in combat) you can't stop someone from falling out a window by draining their speed.

Maur: I only watched the show for a short time during the first season or so. The only scene I remembered was one where Piper used her power outside of an office to stop someone from attacking her.

You are absolutely right. I was simply looking at this from a strictly rules standpoint. "Entering the Speed Zone" IMO wouldn't be built as a massive area drain, but EDM or Transform.

The problem is that (if you try to use this in combat) you can't stop someone from falling out a window by draining their speed.

Ah. I think we have a slight disconnect; Enter the Speed Zone is a power introduced in The Ultimate Speedster, based (as you guessed) off of EDM. I've used it a few times since for Time Stop; the (high) costs are closer to the utility of the power than a straight 40 point Time Stop EDM imo. It is however potentially unbalancing, like many Time Stop builds.

You could use it to stop someone from falling out of a window, so long as you had a phase to activate it before they hit (or if the GM let you abort); they'd stop from your point of view, and you'd have X number of actions (based on the points you sunk into the power) to rescue them before time started again.

The Until Superpowers Database book has Time stop on page 233.

It is built as:

Extra-Dimensional Movement ("Travel" to the "dimension" where time is stopped for everyone but the character, to any point in that "dimension" corresponding to his current location in normal time-space) 40pts

Granted this version makes it debatable whether or not the time-stopper can affect anything that has been stopped, or if he can simply move.

I've never understood how EDM was supposed to be a solution for this kind of thing. Okay, you've gone to another dimension where no one but you can move. So from your point of view everyone has frozen and you can do whatever you want. However from everyone elses point of view, you simply vanish. And presumably show back up at some point, having done some stuff to some different people in a different dimension. While your friends were in the middle of a fight.

*shrug*