S.H.A.R.D. - Super Hero Acronym Resource Directory

Supreme Serpent

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: S.H.A.R.D. - Super Hero Acronym Resource Directory

[Emphasis mine]

OK, PARADIGM I understand, but PARADIGN?

And what did you mean by Abtuse? Obtuse? or Abuse/Abusive?

Sorry to seem picky on a silly thread. :o

(But at least you know I read yours instead of just skipping over it!)

Spell Checker Helps Our Online Loyalists ;)

OK so I had to fiddle one, couldn't think of abetter.

As for Abtuse- it's not Obtuse but a word similar that starts with A, and this Cafe comp doesn't have spell check that I can find.

Also remember English/Australian/American spelling has variations of spelling of the same words.

Apart from that ,some words I just can't spell.

But at least you are reading them which means that I have a chance of driving you sane.

Abject grovellings Weldun, SWORD was in Sundog's game.

BACON - Bay Area Criminal Operation Negotiator.

Is this a Canadian organization? :winkgrin:

FUBAR - Federal Unit Basic Armed Response.

SNAFU - Sponsored North American Fighting Unit

You inspire me:

TARFU - Training Armed Response Fighting Units.

This is the group that trains SNAFU agents into FUBAR agents. Thus you go from SNAFU to TARFU to FUBAR. :D

BOHICA - Bringing Order However It Comes About

Now Kirby - I oroginally came up with BACON as I wanted to do something in the SF Bay Area. I wanted a good team name, unfortunately BACON was shot down :(

But CANADIAN BACON - Crimes Against Normalcy And Decency In A Nation Bay Area Criminal Operation Negotiator

An organization dedicated to monitoring everyone else’s personal business and stresses the importance of non interference.

Oh a spinoff of Starfleet! :king:

I.D.I.O.T.S - Intelligence Division of Independent Operational Tactical Squads

Some Computer based Acronyms:

A.S.S.I.S.T. - American Security Section Investigation Super(human) Team

R.I.S.C. - Robotic Independent Sentient Construct

B.I.O.S. - Bureau of International Observation of Supers

and lastly:

B.A.D.G.E. - Bay Area Demonic Genocide Enforcers

While it doesn't actually make a neat acronym, my game ("After the End" on HC) has 'the Tribunal' -- the ICCAP, or International Court for the Control and Application of Powers, a direct sub-court of the International Court. It was originally three members of the IC, hence 'Tribunal'; the nickname stuck...

While it doesn't actually make a neat acronym' date=' my game ("After the End" on HC) has 'the Tribunal' -- the ICCAP, or International Court for the Control and Application of Powers, a direct sub-court of the International Court. It was originally three members of the IC, hence 'Tribunal'; the nickname stuck...[/quote']Hmm, a funny change would be to call it InCCAP and pronounce it "In cap" as in "incapacitate."

Others have used SWORD for other stuff, I created this one:

Superhuman Warfare Offensive Response Division: It's a SHIELD homage, but it operates much more like the Directive if you've ever read that book from the Aberrant series.

Incidentally, I tend to think that projects are going to be given codenames that are suggestive, even if they're not necessarily acronyms. I may name some group Project AEGIS and not worry about whether it means more than its etymology suggests.

I used to have

U.N.I.C.O.M. - an UNCLE/UNTIL/SHIELD like organization.

It started out during the Korean War as United Nations International Command, Organization and Mobilization, for coordinating the multi-national units into a cohesive whole. French was the required language for contributed troops.

During the sixties it was restructured to United Nations Intelligence, Counter-terrorism and Organization Matrix, the form it keeps to date. It's three branches run towards (respectively) intelligence gathering, military action on the micro scale, and peace keeping action on the macro scale. Tradition holds with French continuing to be the required language for agents and troops. It has a convoluted command structure but ultimately reports to the Secretary General and the Security Council. Inter-branch rivalry and politics as well as the fluctuating support of international emotions makes it a thankless job with few above-board desired results. Agents tend to be ends- instead of means-oriented, and clandestine to a fare-thee-well in a CYA mentality.