A New Dawn. 'Post-Apocalyptic' Fantasy

Shadowsoul

Re: A New Dawn. 'Post-Apocalyptic' Fantasy

Out of the list of availables I would pick a human mutant technomancer. It appeals to me to be able to instantly create devices out of nothing.

CES

Fair enough. Although the way I envisioned the Technomancer was as someone with various wacky powers in the form of focuses rather than being able to build new stuff immediately. Of course if you lose one of your independent focuses you get points back to do something else instead.

Alternatively the Technomancer could have a gadgeteer style 'weird technology' VPP. New bits of tech would have to be invented with the appropriate skill and checked by the GM first but hopefully that set-up would create the kind of character you're looking for.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was never a question of what was Right, what was Noble. There are few times when life was so straightforward. The monsters were attacking, we were but a few scattered Knights and several well-meaning farmers with whatever armor and weapons we could gather.

Against every nightmare that had ever plagued mankind. This was our last battle. I vaguely remember the pain, and the blood, and then my body fell to the ground and I remember staring at it.

It was a stupid pose, kind of bent and twisted. It was a stupid thing to worry about, but I was dead, and there was nothing else to do.

Just wait.

And wait.

They didn't tell me about this part. Truly, this must be hell. It must have been hours, the battle was still going on, and all I could do is watch. I can't even completely leave my body.

I heard a woman scream for help. I tried to run, but I just fell over, still attached to my lifeless body which was still staring at me.

In sheer anger at my own corpse, I grabbed at it. It made a strange squishy sound as my hand passed through it. With a little effort, I managed to somehow drape it around me like a cheap cloak.

Slowly, and with great effort, I hobbled towards the screaming. Lurching and stumbling along the ground. After what seemed like eternity, I managed to cross the few hundred yards. I never heard a demon laugh, but when it turned to saw me, it roared.

"You've been dead for days, and now you think you can just drag your sorry ass in here and beat me? With what? Your dead corpse?"

They say training goes down, down to the very bone. And that is the only explanation that I have. For my very bones moved without my assistance, it drew my sword, my eyes began to glow, and with my left hand, it grabbed me and slammed me back inside.

And may heaven forgive me, if this is wrong, I never want to be right again. All I ever wanted to be was a Hero.

And with a haunting voice I said, "Looks like I got some time... to kill."

Cool story for an undead hero! :) Repped.

Fair enough. Although the way I envisioned the Technomancer was as someone with various wacky powers in the form of focuses rather than being able to build new stuff immediately. Of course if you lose one of your independent focuses you get points back to do something else instead.

Alternatively the Technomancer could have a gadgeteer style 'weird technology' VPP. New bits of tech would have to be invented with the appropriate skill and checked by the GM first but hopefully that set-up would create the kind of character you're looking for.

Sounds like a techno wizard except for getting your points back. What kind of mutation powers are you allowing, SS?

CES

All of these mutations are caused by magic rather than radiation, DNA plagues or whatever. So they will have a magical flavour, you wouldn't be able to fly so much as 'glide on the winds of magic' and so on. But that's just SFX.

The powers I have thought about would include Flight, Armour, Clinging, Enhanced Senses, Claws, Poison Glands, Extra Limbs, Increased Characteristics, Invisibility and Teleportation. Most of these should be built with Physical Manifestation and/or Restrainable.

However, this campaign is very much at the conceptual stage at the moment. Tell me what you'd like to be able to do and I'll tell you if I think it'll be ok.

BTW. I've noticed that I left Priest and Templar off the magic user's list. Priests act more or less like mages while Templar have Paladinesque abilities that work through items such as consecrated swords and holy symbols.

Hey Shadowsoul a question about were-beasts (I have always loved the notion of a werecreature hero). How much control do they have...ie to go beastie form...to turn back to recognize allies...etc. And how much of their normal intellet do they retain?.

There is an element of difference between individuals in that respect.

I'll give you a bit of background on this to help the explanation.

If however you want the short answer then skip the stuff in italics.

Were-Beasts are the descendants of the Beast-Masters, whether through blood or through the curse being passed on by a bite.

The Beast-Masters are or were ancient beings of great power that are said to have been born of unions between the beast/totem forms of the gods and mortal animals. They actually had the forms of men but could shift into various amalgams of man and one other animal. Although predators by nature the Beast-Masters were not inherently evil and in fact occasionally served as the physical arm of the gods' justice by brutally destroying demons and evildoers when the opportunity arose. For the most part however they left the sentient races to their own devices and took the wilds as their domain.

The Beast-Masters could breed with humans in their man-forms and the inevitable descendants received a shadow of their power and joined their lords in wandering freely across the world with no thought for territory, wealth or human laws, these were the Were-Beasts or Werelings. Individuals deemed worthy could join their ranks if they were prepared to undergo a painful bite that would pass on a hint of the Master's strength.

But centuries before the fall the Beast-Master's broke the ancient covenant; whether through boredom, hubris or some more obscure reason. They hunted humans and other races with abandon and communicated their newfound savagery to their followers. The gods then cursed their erring servants with infertility and subjected them to constant mental torments and reproaches. In retaliation the Masters used bestial magics to empower their bites until anyone who was wounded by the a Were-Beast's fangs would likely become one of them.

The Masters then led a growing army of savage beasts to despoil the lands of men but were defeated by an alliance of Humans, the then still earthbound Strell and the servants and manifestations of the gods themselves. The Beast-Masters were captured but were spared by the gods, perhaps the divine ones believed that an age long imprisonment would cure their children of this madness or perhaps the Masters formed so fundamental a part of the world that their destruction would have had terrible consequences, for whatever reason the Masters were imprisoned until their eventual escape at the beginning of the fall.

In the present day the Beast-Masters have disappeared and their malign influence over their offspring has faded, allowing some of their children to fight off the inherited bloodlust that is the bane of their existence.

Nonetheless Were-Beasts suffer a portion of their Masters' madness which was greatly increased by the god's curse and centuries of imprisonment. They have also inherited the unleashed savagery of their patriarchs. These flaws are particularly noticeable when a Were takes his/her war-form.

All Were-Beasts must take an Enraged disadvantage for their war-form worth at least 20 points. While many Werelings do have the Berserk disadvantage as well such rabid and dangerous individuals would not be accepted by New Dawn. The Enraged will typically have something to do with violence, e.g. being in combat, the sight or smell of blood. When not Enraged a Were-Beast's war-form retains most of its original personality although often tinged with savagery and cruelty. The war-form may have psychological disadvantages such as Vengeful, Sadistic, Compulsively Destructive, Addicted to the Hunt and so on.

Many Were-Beasts also suffer from Accidental Change although this is associated with periods of great stress and danger and is not affected by the cycles of the moon. (Incidentally some Were-Beasts practice a shamanistic sort of magic associated with the moon, some believe it is possible to escape the gods' curse through this pure form of sorcery). Individuals with a strong will, (high ego), need not take this disadvantage.

In their human forms Werelings still tend to suffer faint pangs of madness and may well possess some of the Psych Lims detailed above. They are also afflicted by their predatory nature and can not bear to eat anything other than raw meat.

Although they may just be heroic individuals struggling to do right despite their curse it is possible that some Were-Beast characters are hoping to redeem their cursed race by reforging the old ways of protection and honour, this is more likely if the Wereling in question is an actual descendant of the Beast-Masters rather than an unwilling convert as most Were-Beasts are.

Phew. That took longer than I thought. Does that answer your question?

Some more on Revenants.

Although they lack any supernatural abilities beyond those of their deathless form Revenants are rightly feared because of the sheer relentless indestructability they exhibit and the terrifying focus with which they pursue their goals.

Here is the package deal for Revenants as it currently stands.

Powers.

Undead Fortitude.

+4 Strength.

+5 Body.

+5 PD

19 Points.

Iron Will

+10 Ego.

20 Points

Undead Resilience 1

Energy Damage Reduction, 25%

10 Points.

Undead Resilience 2

Physical Damage Reduction, 25%

10 Points.

Relentless

Cannot Be Stunned.

15 Points.

Bloodless

Does Not Bleed

15 Points

By Will Alone

Life Support (Character Does Not Breathe; Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity Most terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: Most terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

35 Points.

Sub-Total. 124 Points.

Disadvantages.

Call of the Grave

Requires a successful Ego Roll to Recover from Unconscious.

-5 Points.

Psychological Limitation

Obsession (Common, Total).

-20 Points.

Physical Limitation

Must concentrate to benefit from normal healing (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

Total = 89 Points.

The increased characteristics and Damage Reductions reflect the fact that a dead body animated only by will can take a lot more abuse than a living one.

Driven as they are by an all consuming will and with their deadened nerves barely registering pain Revenants can not be phased by things that would stun a mortal. They are however tied to their bodies and can be traumatised enough that they must seek refuge in a deathly state similar to unconsciousness, having succumbed to this they must effectively rise from the grave once again although it is much easier the second time around.

Since they are dead and the normal bodily processes do not work a Revenant must consciously force their dead tissues to heal themselves. This requires hours of meditation each day, but that will give them something to do while everyone else sleeps.

I have not specified the Obsession because it will vary between Revenants. Basically this is their reason for rising from the grave, it could be vengeance, a need to protect loved ones, fear of the afterlife, a desire to be a hero or a hatred of certain beings such as Vampires or evildoers in general. A Revenant can not buy off their Obsession although it is possible that they might modify it over the course of the campaign so long as the change is in keeping with the character's nature and behaviour.

BTW Cysphrett.

What role do you see this Mutant Technomancer playing in the party?

Artillery or supporting fire?

Transport?

Reconaissance?

Close combat robotic mayhem?

General wizardly fix-it man?

Somethine else?

All of the above. I'm still thinking about powers and skills. Most of them will have to be on a focus, maybe one shot. Some of it depends on what everyone else gets if we get enough players. I tend to go for a niche I think I can fill that no one else is doing.

CES

One amusing idea that would fit the fantastical PA theme would be to give the technomancer detachable floating eyes, or perhaps some less grisly form of remote viewing.

Then he could float a gun or whatever with his telekinesis and snipe from positions he wasn't actually occupying. Limited range for this and End costs will prevent it from becoming to powerful but would be a fun party trick.

Just a thought anyway, no need to rush character concepts at this point.

(Yeah, I made sure he had a big giant hook that he could be dragged by.)

It was a tough battle, not so much because of who we were fighting, but keeping track of who not to kill was a bit troublesome. I threw my body on the ground like it was the heaviest backpack I have ever worn. The phrase "dead tired" had gained a new respect for me. Were they every going to come and pick me up?

"You know, Winterhope is under attack by monsters. Big nasty monsters."

The second voice added, "And they really need a hero."

My head turned slightly to listen to the group near the fire.

"Isn't that the town with mostly women and children? The men had all left to fight in Forestriver."

I would think they were playing me for a squire, except I knew Winterhope, and knew they were speaking the truth.

"Well, our knight has certainly earned his final rest, he's not going anywhere."

With a mournful groan, I lifted my body up and merged with it. "I'm not tired. I'll go." It was a lie, a minor one, but could I really just lay on the ground knowing that Winterhope was under attack?

"You? You'll go and fight for Winterhope."

"Does the necklace say I'm a liar?"

"Only about the part about you not being tired."

"Does it say I'm lying that I will not rest knowing that Winterhope is in danger?"

"No, no it does not."

I knew the necklace only tells them that I am not a monster, but some claim it can separate truth from lies.

"Then I will go to Winterhope. Tonight, before sunrise."

"No, you will go in the morning with the rest of your troops. Even if you need no sleep, your troop does."

"Is that an order?"

"Yes."

My body fell back to ground.

The first person spoke again, "He's truely inhuman."

The second answered him, "Aye, but he's a hero."

"Your talking keeps the dead awake", I said with a tired tone. I was going to need to concentrate if I wanted to repair this damage before morning.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys thought I’d post my thoughts on Vampire characters in this setting, just to let you all know that this project is still alive and well. Also I’d like to get some opinions on my Vampire Package as it’s quite different from the normal one.

As usual I’ve included background in italics which people are welcome to skip if they wish.

Long, long ago their lived a race of human sorcerers whose powers rivalled those of the Eldren at their height. But they were never content with the mystical abilities they had unlocked and they obsessively pursued greater and greater magics. They sought immortality and omnipotence, they wished to become dark gods and rule over the nascent world. In their search the sorcerers delved deeply into the Earth herself, hoping to unlock the ultimate secrets of creation and of time itself.

They found two things.

The first was a an early civilisation of the malevolent Golgira. The sorcerers were not yet so fallen as to be able to see eye-to-eye with the Golgira but they were arrogant enough to retaliate against these wicked creatures that disputed ownership of their new subterranean homes. The initial skirmishes soon grew into a full scale war of extermination. The sorcerers outmatched their opponents in magic but were greatly outnumbered. Even more telling was the Golgira’s mastery of their environment, cave ins, poisoned gas and other tactics proved all too effective against the unprepared sorcerers. That might have been the end of the story if it had not been for the sorcerers’ second discovery.

They had managed to make contact with an ancient entity, a kind of proto-god or goddess. It was known only as the Night and it lived in gloom, it had been banished from the world above by brighter deities and now lurked in the primal darkness of the Earth’s hidden recesses. The Night had been a deity of predators and of blood spilled in the shadows, it was this way of life that it demanded of the sorcerers in return for the power that could defeat their enemies and a chance at life eternal. The human mages were desperate and their desire for immortality was sharpened by the threat of complete destruction. And so they became the ‘blessed’ children of this dark deity and transcended life itself.

The sorcerers sacrificed much of their mortal magic to gain the gift of their new patron but it rewarded them with new gifts drawn from the very blood that sustained them. And since it was that blood alone that maintained their lives the sorcerers discarded some of the mortal frailties that had made them vulnerable to the Golgira, such as a need to breathe air which could be treacherously laced with poison. Armed with these new abilities and reborn as consummate predators the sorcerers slaughtered their Golgira enemies without mercy and feasted on their life-blood. Unfortunately for the world at large this was not the only group of Golgira in existence and their wretched race remained a threat to the world.

As you will no doubt have guessed the empowered sorcerers soon began to refer to themselves as ‘Vampir’ which in their language meant ‘hunter’ or ‘blood-spiller’.

With their enemies vanquished and their quest for immortality satisfied the Vampir turned to the pursuit of power and of blood. Those who wished to have followers passed on their blessing or curse to others by draining the weak mortal blood from them and replacing it with their own Night-blessed blood. Thus they became an ever growing scourge upon the land, hunting its inhabitants and striving to conquer them. So it remained throughout history until an alliance of mages managed to seal greatest Vampires, The Bloodlords, into mystical barrows, thus allowing the lesser bloodsuckers to be scattered by the forces of light.

Blood Gifts. These are the ‘magics’ of the Vampires, they are literally gifts given to individual vampires by the Night itself. However, these gifts are not just fuelled by a Vampire’s blood, they are an inherent part of that blood. Thus Blood-Gifts are often inherited through Bloodlines.

A note on Bloodlines. There were originally four clans of Vampir and it is believed that all of the modern bloodlines descended from them. These four are referred to by scholars as the Clan of Shadows, (who regarded themselves as the truest children of the Night because they lived for the hunt and wielded darkness itself), the Clan of Guile, (cunning creatures who specialised in manipulation both mundane and supernatural), the Clan of Strength, (a mysterious group said to be the most physically powerful of the Bloodlines but also to be the most interested in forms of magic other than those of the blood, other clans referred to them as ‘The Watchers’, no one seems to know why), and the Clan of Sky, (the Night is supposed to have re-shaped its children in the image of a primal and long-dead race of gargoyle-like beings; but this clan resembled them far more closely and possessed great wings and stony skin).

New Bloodlines were created by ancient Vampires with enough power over their blood to influence the powers inherited by their ‘descendants’. Some also came about through magical experimentation and the infection of new races such as the Strell. The old clans have mostly vanished into history although more or less unchanged descendants of the Clan of Sky survived into the fall. In this new PA world ruled by rogue magic there is no telling what new horrors could have risen from amongst the Clans of the Night.

That’s the dressing, now for the meat of this post.

Vampires.

Powers.

Vampiric Durability: +2 BODY (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) 4

Vampiric Strength: +8 STR (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) 8

Vampiric Swiftness: Running +2" (8" total) 4

Vampiric Vigour: +4 CON (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) 8

Unnatural Body: +10 CON (20 Active Points); Conditional Power Only To Protect Against Disease And Poison (-1) 10

Dark Aura: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Presence Attacks (-1) 2

Fangs: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (1/2d6 w/STR), Penetrating (+1/2) (7 Active Points) 7

Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6 (1d6+1 w/STR) 10

Eyes of Night: Nightvision 5

Scent Blood: Detect Blood 15- (Smell/Taste Group), Discriminatory 12

Life Support (Does Not Breathe; Eating: Character does not eat; Safe in Intense Cold) 15

Drink Blood: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Not having blood or possessing armour that is too thick to bite through.; +1), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1) (67 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Conditional Power Requires Fangs to do Body First (-1/2) 33

Blood Store: Endurance Reserve (20 END, 0 REC) Reserve: , Inherent (+1/4); Limited Power 'Leaks' 2 End per Day. (-1/2), Conditional Power Can Only Be Refilled By Doing Body Damage With Drink Blood Power (-1/4); REC: (0 Active Points) 2

Total.

Disadvantages.

Distinctive Features: Vampire. Yellow Eyes, Claws and Fangs. (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) -20

Psychological Limitation: Addicted to Blood (Common, Strong) -15

Susceptibility: Empty Blood Store 1 Body per Phase (Uncommon) -15

Enraged: Empty Blood Store (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 11- -15

Physical Limitation: Unholy Being (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing) -10

Physical Limitation: Sun Sickness (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing) -5

Total

The above package represents a basic vampire without Blood Gifts. Below is a breakdown of some of my thoughts behind it all.

As I have hinted in the background above the Vampires in this setting are not true ‘Undead’ although the difference will probably be lost on a layman. They are effectively suspended between life and death; they are frozen at the point of dying and remain ‘alive’ through the mystical properties of their Night-blessed blood. This blood keeps them alive through mystical means and so mortal pastimes such as eating and respiration are unnecessary. The Night also grants its children greater strength and toughness in order to allow them to hunt their prey more easily, however they do not gain the incredible durability of true Undead because their flesh is still alive. This does mean that they gain the benefit of normal healing and can indulge in the pleasures of the flesh to some extent.

I’d really like some input on the Blood Store and its relationship with Drink Blood. I should point out that more powerful vampires can have larger blood stores, effectively their blood is more powerful and it takes more mortal blood to generate it. I haven’t specified how much End a Vampire gains from Drink Blood because it varies depending on the nature of the victim, e.g. 1 End per Body drained from an animal, 2 End per Body drained from one of the mortal races and 3 or 4 End per Body when draining supernatural beings such as other vampires. Although it can be used instead of normal End the main purpose of the Blood Store is to power Blood Gifts.

Here is an example of a couple of Blood Gifts.

Blood Gifts. Multipower, 35-point reserve, (35 Active Points); all slots Conditional Power Can Only Use End From Blood Store (-1) 17

Restoration: Healing BODY 3d6, Can Heal Limbs (35 Active Points); Conditional Power Can Only Use End From Blood Store (-1), Self Only (-1/2) 2

Cloak of Shadows: Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe (30 Active Points); Conditional Power Only In Shadows (-1/2) 1

The reason that ‘Can Only Use End From Blood Store’ is a -1 is because Blood Gifts can not use any other End reserve such as a magic item, (which mages will be able to get hold of), and because an incautious or desperate Vampire could end up killing themselves by over using their gifts. This should also affect the player considerably, I’m hoping that any players with Vampire PC’s will be really concerned about where their next fix is coming from. This is also intended to reduce the cost of Blood Gifts and thus hopefully allow Vampires to compete with mortal mages who haven’t sunk so many points into an expensive curse.

As an aside I’m worried about the Drink Blood power. Even for a character that’s probably going to be about 250 points 33 is quite a hefty chunk of points for a power that probably isn’t going to see much combat use. I wonder if Vampires in this setting should have a less powerful Drink Blood ability, (maybe ½d6 armour piercing), or whether they should simply ‘feed’ on the blood of their dead or dying enemies rather than eating normally, (in the style of Legacy of Kain Blood Omen). However, I could be wrong about this, what do people think?

A note on the disadvantages.

Unholy being covers all sorts of things such as being burned by holy water, repelled by holy symbols and the like. I’ve not made this a particularly high point advantaged because holiness is in short supply in this setting at the moment.

As for Sun Sickness; I can’t be bothered with PC’s that burst into flame whenever the sun pops out but I did want to acknowledge the usual aversion of Vampires to the sun. In terms of the setting’s background Vampires are creatures of the Night and thus they fear the sun and grow weaker beneath its life-affirming rays, this is less of a problem during the current age however as the sun shines on this cursed world rarely and with little strength.

I know there’s a lot there but any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'd do away with the Drink Blood as written and make it an Mental Entangle. The victim is powerless to resist once bitten by a vampire. Then, the vampire can take his sweet time and drain 1 body per phase with his normal bite. Maybe have a regeneration that only works while drinking blood (1 BODY regen for every 1 BODY drained that should be a -1 1/2).

Just a thought. It makes the vampire less of a blood-thirsty killer and just thirsty... for blood. After all, those wounds don't heal themselves.

I'd do away with the Drink Blood as written and make it an Mental Entangle. The victim is powerless to resist once bitten by a vampire. Then, the vampire can take his sweet time and drain 1 body per phase with his normal bite. Maybe have a regeneration that only works while drinking blood (1 BODY regen for every 1 BODY drained that should be a -1 1/2).

Just a thought. It makes the vampire less of a blood-thirsty killer and just thirsty... for blood. After all, those wounds don't heal themselves.

Actually they do in this setting. ;)

However, you do raise a couple of interesting points. I could do away with the Drink Blood power all together and simply give the Blood Store's Recovery the Disadvantage "Must spend a phase drinking blood for each point of End recovered" with the caveat I mentioned earlier that more powerful blood gives you more End for your bite. Effectively drinking blood would become an action like eating or whatever rather than an actual power.

In combat terms the Blood Store could be linked to the Fangs attack as you suggested. Each point of Body done with Fangs allows the Vampire to drink 1 Body's worth of blood. However they can also 'drink blood' from the recently dead and if they're feeling particularly sadistic or desperate they can gorge on the blood pouring out of people who are at less than 0 Body.

I was not planning to allow a Vampire to Drain more blood from an individual than their Body i.e. a normal person could be drained for the equivalent of 8 body which would give the Vampire 16 End, (an animal with the same Body would only grant 8 End). But this would lead to the silly situation of a Vampire being able to chew someone into negative Body so that they were bleeding to death but then be unable to drink any more of their blood. So I might say that a Vampire can drain blood equivalent to twice the victim's body and simply halve the End gain per point of Body. This means that a Vampire would only gain 8 End from draining a normal to 0 body but they could still get the full 16 if they carried on and drank their victim dry.

As for the Mental Entangle. It's a nice idea but one that I think suits a more seductive and subtle kind of Vampire than the brutal creatures I'm planning to populate this setting with. They made up one of the armies that destroyed civilisation after all. I see them as horrific opponents that tear people apart and then feast cruelly on the dying and the dead.

That's not to say that a creature that can make you helpless to resist while it drains the very life from you isn't terrifying, it's just not quite the kind of horror I'm after here.

However, I will include a Paralyzing Bite as an optional Inherent power and a Hypnotising Stare as an optional Blood Gift. Because these abilities would be of great use to Vampires and they are both creepy and cool.

Repped. Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shadowsoul: I read your entries and laughed...these ideas are VERY akin to something I am currently working up. I am working on a post-apoc FH setting that takes place after a mage war but in my campaign I want to have a very strong fairy tale feel. I am working up a magic system that is completely based around spirits. In fact all magic is simply the invoking of different spirits to do the casters biddings. The overall campaign thread will involve the world choosing a bunch of unlikely heroes to defend it from harm. When I get more I plan to post a thread in the FH forum but I thought I would mention it.

Love what you have so far! :D

Ye Gods, I just read this thread and I was looking at running a FH game that would have been markedly similar. Now that I see you are doing it, I think I'm going to switch to a Dark Champions PA type game, with lots of paranormal stuff.

And...wow, this looks like a great game to play in. Any openings left, or are you full up?

Back in February, Shadowsoul said he was going to run this in June (4 months from February during Summer break). So a lot can happen between now and then.

I was interested since I never spent four months building a fantasy character before. It's a challenge for me.

Thanks for the interest guys.

Cargus, in answer to your question. Officially no one has signed up yet as I wanted to allow plenty of time for people to think about the campaign and to hear about it. However, since three people, (Bluejogger, Corven Ren and Cysphrett), have already suggested character concepts to me or discussed potential characters they have effectively reserved places on the list. Although none of them are committed to playing in the campaign they will be given the first chance to sign on.

Assuming all three are willing and capable of joining the campaign there should be four more places. In the not too distant future I will be opening the floor to applicants, which will involve PMing everyone who has posted on this thread. For the first week after this announcement I won't accept applications from anyone but the 3 people mentioned above, hopefully this should give everyone time to read their messages etc.

After that week I will post the number of places still available based on whether or not anyone on the reserved list has confirmed that they wish to play. Then it's open season, first come first served until all places are filled. If there are spaces free once the campaign proper begins then they will be left open indefinitely in case any late comers would like to drop in.

In the meantime if you'd like to discuss potential characters then that would be fine, you will not be committing yourself to anything at present.

Another couple of points that I should mention before anyone does commit themselves to this game.

This is the first time I have run a game online and although I'm planning to have a couple of dry runs I'll have to learn the trick of it as things go along, so anyone short on patience might want to think carefully about how those initial sessions are going to go.

The other thing is that I live in the UK which means that there will be quite a time difference for a lot of players, that should be surmountable but I wanted to make it clear at this point so everyone who does sign on will be able to think about how this game might fit into their schedule.

Being an online GM does take a wee bit of getting used to, but not as much as you'd think. Mostly you have to be able to deal with the lower pace of things. In some ways, you can really get better roleplaying out of it.

As for the UK thing, I've played in games where both GM's and players were in the UK, and it's not that big an issue.

I do have an idea or two for a character - I'll send a mail to you with an outline and see if it's doable or even interesting to you.

The day had been long, and my hip was paining me more than usual; no doubt the wet chill of the incessant rain had gotten into it. Regardless, I overindulged in the l'shaal, drinking down near twice the accustomed amount of that bitter-sweet green syrup. As usual when doing so, I fell into a heavy sleep...and dreamed.

I dreamed of Ashali-That-Was, Ashali the Jewel of the Southern Sky, Ashali the Fallen. I soared amidst its towers and walkways, the moon full and silver above me and the crystal lanterns of the city alive like precious gems winking crimson and emerald, azure and violet and amber. In the sky above the Tower of Nelwhon I met Estreena, and we cavorted in the cool air for a time, before alighting on the balcony that was named Desire, and taking to a couch where we loved under the stars until the dawn glimmered rose and gold in the east.

As dreams will, though, it shifted on a sudden, and I found myself in an all to familiar place in the Pavilion of Uhrent, under a lowering sky. My armor chafed at me, and the blade hung like a dead weight unaccustomed at my side. I was but a lowly apprentice, and my magic not yet strong enough to earn me a place in the Casting-Hall with the Adepts and Masters. Still, I would use it before any other weapon – my skill at arms was feeble in comparison. I relived the terrible wait as the Yonsai mustered their forces and hordes of demonlings on the spires and crags below us, and I saw again the cloud of them as they arose to the walls of Ashali borne on winds of magic that we could not quell.

I saw Ashali fall again, and the pain of it smote me as fresh as the day it had happened. The battles in the air, the bodies and blood raining down...flights of arrows, sorcerous blasts and gales, clouds of noxious fumes and rains of flame...death, destruction, and fire. Again, as ever before, I spent my then meager store of mana, having the satisfaction of felling a half score of the enemy before I was spent, and they were upon us. Again I saw them overrun the Pavilion, my comrades and blood-kin falling before the blades and claws and fangs, unable to stem that black tide. I saw again as Orusia, he of the quick laugh and crooked mouth was swept over and torn asunder by demon claws. Uluria, too, I saw as a mighty Yonsai warrior-priest removed his head from his body with one sweeping blow of a great axe. All this and more I recalled, until the orange and red skin of the demon filled my vision and I raised my blade in pitiful defense.

I felt again the demon's black blade cut into my hip, felt the coldness of it, and knew the weapon and the wound to be cursed. I fell, and was covered by bodies falling onto me, the blood of my body and my people washing over me like a horrid rain.

I did not dream of the swoon I fell into, but rather the waking as Ashali tipped and began to plummet, the magics holding it aloft finally destroyed. I remembered unfurling my wings into a last desperate glide, barely escaping the collapse of the once proud city. I remembered...

And when I awoke, drenched in sweat and my limbs twitching, my hip screaming again in agony despite the l'shaal, I wept, as I had wept then and many times after...and knew that it would not be the last time I wept for all that was lost – my city, my love, my kin, and my dreams.