A New Dawn. 'Post-Apocalyptic' Fantasy

Shadowsoul

Re: A New Dawn. 'Post-Apocalyptic' Fantasy

As an armorer and survivor of numerous chemical and energy accidents, I have taught myself and my telekinetic hands to get me out of danger without

really thinking about it.

I'll have six points freed up from dumping the two skills. I can use that to buy ranged combat skills, or maybe armor, or lightning reflexes, or something else. Maybe some kind of construction skill. All my skills seemed to be geared toward arming people and building weapons.

As for powers, I am leaning toward one weapon with changeable ammo like outlaw star or judge dredd, one shield of some kind, one gate mechanism, or some kind of flight, one encyclopedia/range finder/star trek scanner, maybe an extradimensional workshop, maybe a summon vehicle. I'm definite on the gun, scanner, and shield. Still thinking about the rest.

CES

Ok. Place 3-4 of those levels in DCV in a power named Telekinetic Shield or whatever you want to call it. Give this power the -1/4 Disadvantage 'Magical Manifestation (Telekinesis). This Disadvantage means that if your Telekinesis is Dispelled, completely Suppressed, completely Drained or disabled in some other way then the DCV bonus will turn off. That should justify those levels.

E.g. +3 with DCV (15 Active Points); Conditional Power - Magical Manifestation (Telekinesis) (-1/4) Final Cost 12 points.

You will probably end up with a few extra points to play with once I've written up and posted the Everyman Package anyway.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok everyone.

Just a quick reminder that I'm going to be opening the campaign to player requests on Friday the second of May.

I've decided that it would be presumptuous to PM everyone who ever posted on this thread to warn them about this time so I'll just assume that anyone who is interested has kept an eye on the thread and post on Player Finder if I don't get any responses.

Cheers.

Back in February, Shadowsoul said he was going to run this in June (4 months from February during Summer break). So a lot can happen between now and then.

I was interested since I never spent four months building a fantasy character before. It's a challenge for me.

Don't get too excited yet Cysphrett. ;)

But in the meantime if anyone would like to make an equipment wish list and send it to me I'll be happy to take a look at it.

Remember that the standard tech level is late medieval Europe, although you can take weapons and equipment that come from other historical eras and places such as tribal Africa or 'medieval' India. East Asian style equipment is extremely rare on this continent however.

Remember that your characters are living in a shattered world with only rudimentary trade and few skilled artisans. So don't expect too much.

However, equipment that has been improvised from the wastes is more likely to get past me and into you pack. Particularly if you have crafting skills to justify it.

Magic items do exist but you'll have to pay points for them if you want to start with them. That includes any bits of weird technology that you want to be carrying around Cysphrett, (althought your multipower device should cover that anyway).

I am still interested in this just not sure how to go about with the build.

Hi there. If you are still interested in playing then all you need to do is confirm your character concept for the moment. (Unless you;ve changed your mind and would like to play something different, in which case please share what that something is).

Characters are built on 150 character points + 100 Disadvantage points.

If you are going to use a werebeast then build your human form as your main one.

Here are some general guidelines for building a werebeast character, if you want more details then please pm me. If necessary I can send you a hdc file of an example werewolf, (as soon as I put it together).

You will of course have a multiform power. You only need to take one form for this power - your warform, this is a bipedal monster which fuses elements of your human form and that of your chosen animal. Think of the oversized humanoid werewolves in Underworld, Dog Soldiers and World of Darkness and you'll see what I mean. The warform should be powerful but lacking in skills other than those which are useful for hunting or fighting, it is something to be used sparingly. See my posts earlier in the thread for more on the warform and werebeasts in general.

The exact nature of the warform is up to you but it should have abilities appropriate to the associated animal e.g. enhanced senses. Warforms also have at least 3 levels of regeneration, (can not heal damage from silver or holy weapons), and high physical stats.

You may if you wish take a second form for the multiform called the hunting form, this one is an oversized version of the associated animal, it should be less dangerous in combat but have more powerful versions of the abilities that animal would have. This form is less prone to frenzy but is partially controlled by animal instincts and is usually less intelligent than the human form.

Ok Shadowsoul...I still have to work on the actual character sheet but here is the backgound story.

Magic destroyed much of the world, as the very gods themselves seemed to collide. The ruins of the world that was, I wander them constantly trying to control the rage of what I am for I am adecendant of the Beastmasters of old...I am a werewolf. I was born different from my own kind..pale skin, white hair, blood red eyes and a little on the skinny side and my parents thought that maybe I would not be able to transform. I remeber assuming my war form for the first time...I was 13. I had wandered into some ruins when I noticed several mutated creatures...I am not even sure what they were, chasing a small girl. I was flushed with terror for the girl and then anger that I was to weak to do anything....then I felt my heart begin to race and suddenly my senses begin to flood with information. I could smell the sweat of the girl as she ran and the stink of the filthy mutants chasing her. I could here her labored breathing and the cackling laughter of the mutates. My muscles suddenly flared and bulged..at first it was painful but then my adrenalin kicked in and the transformation was almost intoxicating. My howl pierced the night as I bounded through the ruins. My powerful legs made it simple to catch them and quickly put myself between the girl and them, my long teeth diping with saliva as I growled at them. They stopped and at first seemed wary, but then they made what would be a fatal mistake for them..they charged. I lept towards them, the claws on my one hand tearing into one and my fangs into another. Their black blood sprayed everywhere and the scent of it made my blood boil even hotter. I tossed aside the corpses and turned towards the girl, the rage that was in me wanted me to go a kill her to, I howled and then began to slowly stalk towards her....but then my senses kicked in again.I heard her whimpers of terror, I smelt her fear...something in my head clicked. I stopped and slumped gently to the ground, not wanting to spill this little ones blood. I felt the rage in me subside and the child apparently seemed to sense it to for she walked over to me and gently touched my arm and thanked me. I stood an gently picked the child up and looked at her. My canine mouth struggled to speak but finally I told her, "I will take you home." She climbed onto my back and she directed me to her home. When we arrived it was obvious the village had heard my howls and had feared for their safety, but they were even more suprised to see the little girl on my back. I set her down on the ground and her parents rushed over..."Mommy...Daddy" she said.."The white wolf saved me." I slumped to the ground exhausted and could feel myself turning 'human' again. The father came over and offered me a cloak to cover my now shivering body. That night I dined with her parents and earned the gratitude of the village. Since that night I have traveled the world trying to help those I could. I am Zarathos DeGuerre the White Wolf.

We're going to be an...interesting group. A werewolf, an undead revnant, and humanoid bat psychic, and a guy that keeps fiddling with weird magical steampunk gadgets.

All we need now is a one eyed hunchbacked dwarf with a lisp and we can start our own circus !

Hey Shadow got another quick question about my war form...is there a cap on my strength and can I have some basic martial arts maneuvers in it? And can I buy a MP with different claw attacks in it? Also do I have to have seperate disads for my war form.

We're going to be an...interesting group. A werewolf, an undead revnant, and humanoid bat psychic, and a guy that keeps fiddling with weird magical steampunk gadgets.

All we need now is a one eyed hunchbacked dwarf with a lisp and we can start our own circus !

There could be up to three other players as well, so things may get weirder yet.

I'm holding out for the Vampiric Lizardman Sorcerer or the Undead Pygmy Assassin.

Anyway, we finally have some NPC’s.

Meet New Dawn’s High Command as it currently stands.

Libera Tenrai.

Founder of New Dawn.

A crusading visionary with a mysterious past. She is human and appears youthful but her age and true origin are unknown. Libera is quite plain when at rest but when she is moving or talking her face is animated by a charisma so powerful that those who see her often wonder if there is something divine in her ancestry. Brave, compassionate and persuasive, Libera may be the one to bring in a new age, she has already done much in the way of gathering allies to her cause and instilling loyalty in her followers.

Libera is a warrior by trade but seems to capable of using magic as well, there are various rumours about her abilities ranging from the story that an ancient mage tutored her when she was a child to the claim that she is the first of a race of mutants with near godlike powers.

Although skilled at negotiation and morale raising Libera feels that she lacks the experience to be a successful military commander and often defers to her advisor – Ardias Gren.

Ardias Gren.

Grand Strategist of New Dawn.

A middle aged Eldren who lived through the mage wars and the end-wars, he was a very successful general and tactician but even he was unable to protect his homeland from the horrors unleashed upon it by the failing barriers. A native of Kmer he is proud of this heritage and was the driving force behind the adoption of Kymrian as the official language of New Dawn. His avowed intention is to see the old world restored and he is ruthless and cunning in carrying out this dream. He constantly emphasises the limited resources of New Dawn and attempts to minimise the cost of any endeavour. Unlike some of the more idealistic or hot headed members of New Dawn’s hierarchy he has little compunction about dealing with other groups or manipulating New Dawn’s enemies into fighting each other.

Serena Anda’Helene

First Templar of the Third Militant Order.

A human in her thirties. The Third Order worship Helene, goddess of honour, duty and just war. Like all Priests and Templars they replace their family names with a reference to their deity. Anda’Helene literally means ‘Child of Helene’. The high rate of fatalities that the Order suffered during its 100 year war against evil is the main reason for its leader’s youth but she is still a competent and respected commander. Serena is a devout and dedicated follower of the Order’s precepts but she is not inflexible and so was prepared to join forces with the newly born New Dawn despite the fact that it included various ‘monsters’.

Serena prefers fighting to commanding and will often ride out on her Black Unicorn companion Cobalt to hunt down some unlucky monster.

Tremaine Derfal.

Honoured Father of the Lifidic Brotherhood.

An ancient but well preserved human male. It was the hidden valley of the Lifids that Libera and her friends found and took shelter in when they were first building New Dawn. The Brothers and Sisters of the order were possibly the last survivors of an ancient sect that sought harmony with nature and its spirits rather than communication with divine beings from the Higher Realm, with powerful sorceries they were able to shield this refuge from the effects of wild magic and the eyes of potential ravagers. Tremaine was not happy when his guests began building an army within the place he was dedicated to guarding but somehow Libera has convinced him to cooperate, albeit grudgingly.

Karn Deepclaw.

First Sword of New Dawn.

Young Kerak mutant. The wild magic loose in this world is powerful and unpredictable, sometimes it takes the form of water and leaks down into the hidden recesses of the earth. The Kerak are unaware of this however and so when Karn of Dustcloud clan was caught by a stream of wild magic, which turned his scales black and caused two bony arms to grow from his chest, the Dustcloud Elders ruled that he must have been experimenting with forbidden sorceries and banished him to hell, (the surface world). Karn fought desperately to survive on the surface until he met Libera who saw his potential and befriended him.

Karn is an incredible swordsman and he serves as Libera’s bodyguard as well as the commander in charge of the protection of all New Dawn leaders and other important individuals such as mages. He is also probably the originator of New Dawn’s tolerant recruiting policy.

Glyph.

Seer.

Ageless Eldren woman. Glyph speaks for the group of Eldren mages that serve New Dawn as information gatherers. Her origins and those of her followers are a closely guarded secret as is the truth behind the rune inscribed ivory mask that she wears at all times.

Algornak Vidrin.

Master Artificer.

Middle aged human mutant. Many of the Artificers of the old world, mages who created magical artefacts, were bound together by a far reaching Guild that protected their interests and tried to prevent rulers from exploiting them. Algornak learned the craft of Artificing from his mother; when she was killed by raiders who wanted to steal the items she had crafted he swore that Artificers would no longer be the prey of villains and monsters. To achieve this end Algornak set out to find other Artificers and recreate the Guild in the hope that they would then be powerful enough to broker a deal with some mighty warlord or large faction. The leaders of the nascent New Dawn were only too happy to accept.

Algornak is truly strange to see, even by mutant standards, he is eight feet tall, has two heads that always speak simultaneously and is covered in light brown hair.

Aziel.

Second Strategist of New Dawn.

Young looking human vampire male. The story goes that Aziel had always doubted the vampiric doctrines which stated that all other beings were inferior cattle; so when his master captured Libera and Aziel was set to guard her it was not too difficult for the future leader to persuade her captor to escape with her and join the band of friends that would become New Dawn.

Aziel is an experienced military commander but despite his title he does not tend to concern himself with strategy, instead he puts his knowledge of fighting and stealth to good use by training New Dawn’s most dangerous field agents, scouts and assassins. Aziel has sometimes been called the Dark Angel because of the powerful wings on his back and the curious nobility of his vampiric features. If anyone in New Dawn has a chance of outfighting Karn it’s Aziel.

(And yes he is a bit of a tribute character).

Janos Anda’Kirael

Priest of Kirael and Amon-Cor

Aging human male. When the Third Order Militant joined New Dawn they brought with them a collection of followers and hangers-on including various Priests, fanatics and a few Templars of other Gods. The de-facto leader of this group was Janos, like many of his followers this Priest believes that there is no hope for the world and that all mortals can do is bring vengeance upon the monsters that despoiled it and seek a good death in service to the Gods. Therefore Janos believes not only that New Dawn’s quest is pointless but that by associating with unnatural creatures such as mutants and vampires he and his followers are imperilling their souls. Exactly why the Janos remains with New Dawn is something of a mystery; he claims to have stayed out of respect for Serena, oddly enough Libera uses the same reason to explain why she hasn’t turfed the troublesome priest out into the wastes.

Janos has established a sub-faction within New Dawn, (called The Inquisition by many members of the parent organisation), which keeps a rigorous watch on those Accursed who serve his 'allies'. Often when ‘The Order Militant’ hunts down a traitor it is actually Janos’ followers who gleefully dispatch the unfortunate target. Otherwise The Inquisition sets itself to rooting out demon worship and other such heresies from the territories of New Dawn, spying on New Dawn agents and generally making life difficult for its ‘allies’.

Hey Shadow got another quick question about my war form...is there a cap on my strength and can I have some basic martial arts maneuvers in it? And can I buy a MP with different claw attacks in it? Also do I have to have seperate disads for my war form.

Your Strength is capped at 35, after that you'd just about be able to throw elephants at people, that's too much power even for High Fantasy.

You can have some martial manouevres but remember that if you frenzy you won't remember any of that subtle stuff.

As for the MP. The general idea with Werebeasts is that they have a Multiform which balances out the Multipower that characters such as Mages and Vampires have. You certainly can't have your claws shifting into different shapes once you have taken on your Warform. Still, give me a run down of what you want and I'll have a think about it, maybe run the idea past another GM I know. I'd advise you not to be too hopeful though.

And yes you have separate Disadvantages for the warform, it should have an Enraged disadvantage of some kind and probably a Psy Lim or two e.g. Vindictive or Addicted to the Hunt.

Heres what I had in mind for the mp..if not I'll change it around.

27 Attacks of the Werewolf: Multipower, 40-point reserve, (40 Active Points); all slots Restrainable (-1/2)

2u 1) Claw Slash: HKA vs PD 2 1/2d6 (5d6 w/STR) (40 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) 4

2u 2) Rapid Slashes: HKA vs PD 1 1/2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (31 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) 3

2u 3) Bite of the Wolf: HKA 1 1/2d6 (3d6 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (37 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) 4

Heres what I had in mind for the mp..if not I'll change it around.

27 Attacks of the Werewolf: Multipower, 40-point reserve, (40 Active Points); all slots Restrainable (-1/2)

2u 1) Claw Slash: HKA vs PD 2 1/2d6 (5d6 w/STR) (40 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) 4

2u 2) Rapid Slashes: HKA vs PD 1 1/2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (31 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) 3

2u 3) Bite of the Wolf: HKA 1 1/2d6 (3d6 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (37 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) 4

Hmm. I think it'll make you too powerful. Do the character without the Multipower for now but if when I look at the final line-up he's lagging behind then I might allow you to reshape him and put it in.

Hmm. I think it'll make you too powerful. Do the character without the Multipower for now but if when I look at the final line-up he's lagging behind then I might allow you to reshape him and put it in.

Ok will do

One more question are Werewolves (in either form) especially long lived or immune to diseases or anything like that?

As a general rule Werewolves do not possess longevity or unusual resistance to disease.

Judging by his background story however Zarathos was not infected by a Werewolf's bite. That would make him a natural Werewolf and thus a descendant of Skadi Mistress-of-Wolves herself. Effectively this means that he has a little bit of divine blood in his veins and sometimes such individuals live far longer than a normal human might. The upshot of this is that you can buy the first level of Longevity shoud you wish to but it is not obligatory.

Damn...keep thinking of question after youve answered one. Are wolves susceptable to wolfsbane? And should i take vulnerability to silver in my war form.

Wolfsbane is no problem. Silver does 2X stun and your regeneration doesn't work against it. Your regeneration doesn't work against holy damage either, but you shouldn't have to worry about that. Remember to be on your best behaviour when members of 'The Inquisition' are around though.

I overstated the amount of regeneration you need to have btw, you only need one level (1d6 healing) but you can have up to 5 levels.