Information for HERO/Champions Fans About The Champions Online MMO

Steve Long

Let's start with the official Cryptic Studios press release:

CRYPTIC STUDIOS ANNOUNCES CHAMPIONS ONLINE

Developers of City of Heroes™ Franchise Have Acquired Champions IP and Are Set to Deliver MMORPG With Billions of Customization Options

LOS GATOS, CA – February 20, 2008 – Cryptic Studios™, one of the leading independent developers of massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs), announced today Champions Online™, their first ever self-developed and self-published MMORPG. Champions Online, based on the popular pen-and-paper Champions RPG, will give players the power of total customization of their hero experience while they explore a vast universe of richly detailed 3D environments. Champions Online is slated for release in Spring 2009.

Cryptic Studios also announced today that it has acquired the Champions intellectual property (IP) from Hero Games. First published in 1981, the Champions role-playing game is one of the first RPGs to forgo the traditional dice-rolling system of character generation in favor of a point-based system. Cryptic Studios has licensed back to Hero Games the rights to produce Champions RPG books, and the sixth edition of the HERO System and Champions, set to release in 2009, will include rules on how to recreate Champions Online characters and scenarios.

“We thought carefully about which IP to select for our next game,” said Jack Emmert, chief creative officer of Cryptic Studios. “I’ve been playing the Champions RPG since it first came out and I love both the rich history and wide array of compelling characters which made this an obvious choice for Cryptic Studios.”

“I am very excited to be working on Champions,” said Michael Lewis, president of Cryptic Studios. “We have a powerful development team, a better engine, more resources, and a vision for a new kind of MMO experience. Bringing the operating side of the business in-house enables us to be more efficient, get our developers even closer to the customer, and ultimately make a better game and long-term experience.”

Champions Online is all about total customization – it will offer a near infinite amount of character customization so that all players will have a unique game experience. Gamers will be able to create their hero’s name, back story, costume, powers and abilities as well as design their own personal arch-enemy and his or her back story, which will guarantee a truly unique experience.

“Champions Online brings a lot to the table. Gamers have literally billions of options to create their own fully customized hero,” Emmert said. “Couple that with the unique character generation system and tons of beautiful, expansive environments in which to roam, and Champions Online is going to be unlike anything MMO fans have seen before.”

For more information on Champions Online and Cryptic Studios please check out the feature story in the March issue of Game Informer magazine on newsstands now, http://www.crypticstudios.com,'>http://www.crypticstudios.com, and http://www.champions-online.com to view character profiles, gameplay trailers, and forums.

# # #

About Cryptic Studios:

Cryptic Studios™, Inc., based in Los Gatos, CA, and established in July 2000, is one of the leading independent developers of massively multiplayer online games for the PC and next generation consoles. Cryptic Studios is an independent, employee-owned company committed to delivering the next level of unparalleled fantasy experience and bringing MMOG fans closer than ever to living out their online virtual life. Cryptic is best known as the creator of the award-winning City of Heroes® and City of Villains™ MMO titles. In Champions Online, the latest massively multiplayer online role-playing game from Cryptic, gamers will create a hero, completely customized to exact specification and ready to fight evil villains in a stunning 3D graphical world. For more information on Cryptic Studios, please visit http://www.crypticstudios.com

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Information for HERO/Champions Fans About The Champions Online MMO

So that’s the main scoop, straight from the horse’s mouth! But here are a few additional tidbits that I think will help explain the Champions Online MMO (“COMMO”) deal to current Hero/Champions fans.

1. What’s happened here is that Cryptic has bought the Champions and Dark Champions intellectual property — the characters, setting, history, events, and so on.

2. Cryptic has not bought the HERO System rules. The Champions Online MMO is not a “HERO System MMO.” You will not be using the HERO System to build your characters in the MMO, or anything like that. Under the terms of our agreement with Cryptic, COMMO will use many HERO System terms for its powers, abilities, and so on, but it does not use the HERO System rules.

3. Cryptic has not bought any of the rest of our IP (such as the Turakian Age, the Terran Empire, or Tuala Morn).

4. Under the terms of our agreement, Cryptic has licensed back to DOJ the right to produce Champions RPG supplements, though it has the right to approve those supplements. As part of the deal we get to use their artwork. This makes at least a few color books possible going forward, though when we implement a change like that has not yet been decided.

5. Because Cryptic now owns the Champions/Dark Champions IP, they can change it or tweak it as they deem fit so that it suits an MMO. For example, I’ve seen their illustration of Defender. It looks nothing like any incarnation of Defender ever published by Hero Games. Similarly, I’ve seen their Dr. Destroyer. I’d bet that a Champions fan would realize it’s Dr. Destroyer, but he doesn’t look exactly like the Dr. D in CKC. The needs of an MMO are often different from the needs of an RPG, so Cryptic’s going to change things as needed.

However, that being said, Cryptic has no desire to run an RPG company; they have plenty of their own fish to fry. There’s a huge range of information about the Champions Universe that Cryptic generally isn’t concerned about since it has no direct impact on COMMO. Therefore I don’t expect any problems on this front. As we keep publishing Champions supplements we’ll be changing things as needed to reflect Cryptic’s vision of the Champions Universe, but that doesn’t mean our own views are going to get shoved aside — it’s a big sandbox to play in and Cryptic only needs part of it for an MMO. For example, Dr. Destroyer looks a certain way in COMMO, and that will be reflected when he makes an appearance in books — but it doesn’t mean we couldn’t come up with three or four more suits of armor for him as part of the RPG. So far we’ve had an excellent working relationship with the guys at Cryptic, many of whom are long-time fans of Champions, and I have no doubt that will continue as we move forward.

6. Going forward, we’re going to create Champions supplements that will help Cryptic in its production of the game. We’re going to cover subjects it would like to see covered, create things it would like to see created, and otherwise try to dovetail our goals for Champions the RPG with their goals for Champions Online. This helps us because we get to use their art (minimizing production costs) and can produce books that will hopefully be of interest (and thus sell to) fans of COMMO who aren’t fans of ours (yet!). It also allows us to have more of an impact on COMMO than it would if we just left it all to Cryptic.

7. When we come out with a new edition of CHAMPIONS for the 6E rules, or perhaps a distinct COMMO RPG book, we’ll include information about how to create your COMMO character using the HERO System rules, probably with a bunch of plug-and-play prebuilt powers to boot. But just to make sure we’re clear, COMMO does not use the HERO System rules in any way. I can build World Of Warcraft or Everquest characters with the HERO System too, but they’re not based on HERO either. ;)

Now that we’ve gotten all that out of the way, I’ll conclude by saying how excited all of us here at Hero Games are to be working with Cryptic on this project. Not only is it going to be an awesome MMO based on our way cool Champions Universe, it’s a chance to expose the HERO System to a much broader audience than ever before. We hope you’ll join us in welcoming newcomer to the site, making them feel at home, and helping them learn the game.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds great and while I've heard some unhappy sounds from others about the IP sale, the most important thing is that this shows a continuing growth of Hero/DOJ/Champions etc which is the most important thing.

I've been playing this for 15+ years and I'm looking forward to the next 15, both online and on paper!

...and there is always the interesting possibility of 6th edition being used to dovetail a little more closely with TCOMMO (pronnounced 'T'Komo': sounds Vulcan :))

I hope this is going to be a real boost for the paper game, bringing in a lot of new blood. Congratulations to Hero, Long Live Champions!

I'm pretty excited about this. As an avid RPG'er and MMO'er I think this will be really good for both sides. I wonder if this means we can get a Champions comic book with our subscription like they did with CoH?

The only thing that would have made this announcement better was if Obsidian Studios* was involved.

*I say this because Obsidian Studios was started by Chris Avellone who wrote my all time favorite Champs supplement: Underworld Enemies.

Guest voodoo54

So that’s the main scoop, straight from the horse’s mouth! But here are a few additional tidbits that I think will help explain the Champions Online MMO (“COMMO”) deal to current Hero/Champions fans.

1. What’s happened here is that Cryptic has bought the Champions and Dark Champions intellectual property — the characters, setting, history, events, and so on.

2. Cryptic has not bought the HERO System rules. The Champions Online MMO is not a “HERO System MMO.” You will not be using the HERO System to build your characters in the MMO, or anything like that. Under the terms of our agreement with Cryptic, COMMO will use many HERO System terms for its powers, abilities, and so on, but it does not use the HERO System rules.

3. Cryptic has not bought any of the rest of our IP (such as the Turakian Age, the Terran Empire, or Tuala Morn).

4. Under the terms of our agreement, Cryptic has licensed back to DOJ the right to produce Champions RPG supplements, though it has the right to approve those supplements. As part of the deal we get to use their artwork. This makes at least a few color books possible going forward, though when we implement a change like that has not yet been decided.

5. Because Cryptic now owns the Champions/Dark Champions IP, they can change it or tweak it as they deem fit so that it suits an MMO. For example, I’ve seen their illustration of Defender. It looks nothing like any incarnation of Defender ever published by Hero Games. Similarly, I’ve seen their Dr. Destroyer. I’d bet that a Champions fan would realize it’s Dr. Destroyer, but he doesn’t look exactly like the Dr. D in CKC. The needs of an MMO are often different from the needs of an RPG, so Cryptic’s going to change things as needed.

However, that being said, Cryptic has no desire to run an RPG company; they have plenty of their own fish to fry. There’s a huge range of information about the Champions Universe that Cryptic generally isn’t concerned about since it has no direct impact on COMMO. Therefore I don’t expect any problems on this front. As we keep publishing Champions supplements we’ll be changing things as needed to reflect Cryptic’s vision of the Champions Universe, but that doesn’t mean our own views are going to get shoved aside — it’s a big sandbox to play in and Cryptic only needs part of it for an MMO. For example, Dr. Destroyer looks a certain way in COMMO, and that will be reflected when he makes an appearance in books — but it doesn’t mean we couldn’t come up with three or four more suits of armor for him as part of the RPG. So far we’ve had an excellent working relationship with the guys at Cryptic, many of whom are long-time fans of Champions, and I have no doubt that will continue as we move forward.

6. Going forward, we’re going to create Champions supplements that will help Cryptic in its production of the game. We’re going to cover subjects it would like to see covered, create things it would like to see created, and otherwise try to dovetail our goals for Champions the RPG with their goals for Champions Online. This helps us because we get to use their art (minimizing production costs) and can produce books that will hopefully be of interest (and thus sell to) fans of COMMO who aren’t fans of ours (yet!). It also allows us to have more of an impact on COMMO than it would if we just left it all to Cryptic.

7. When we come out with a new edition of CHAMPIONS for the 6E rules, or perhaps a distinct COMMO RPG book, we’ll include information about how to create your COMMO character using the HERO System rules, probably with a bunch of plug-and-play prebuilt powers to boot. But just to make sure we’re clear, COMMO does not use the HERO System rules in any way. I can build World Of Warcraft or Everquest characters with the HERO System too, but they’re not based on HERO either. ;)

Now that we’ve gotten all that out of the way, I’ll conclude by saying how excited all of us here at Hero Games are to be working with Cryptic on this project. Not only is it going to be an awesome MMO based on our way cool Champions Universe, it’s a chance to expose the HERO System to a much broader audience than ever before. We hope you’ll join us in welcoming newcomer to the site, making them feel at home, and helping them learn the game.

So does that mean that when DOJ redoes Champions for 6th edition that characters like DR. D and Defender will have to conform to Cryptic's character depictions?

o does that mean that when DOJ redoes Champions for 6th edition that characters like DR. D and Defender will have to conform to Cryptic's character depictions?

Absolutely. In fact, some of that sort of thing you'll see in books due out this year -- for example, when we publish Champions Beyond, it'll be chock-full of Cryptic art depicting the Qularr, the Elder Worm, and so on. Most of that sort of thing has never been seen, so we can "dovetail" the MMO and the RPG immediately, to the enrichment of both.

Whether, and to what extent, we'll start switching depictions of existing characters, is an issue yet to be decided. But at the very latest, when we launch a new Champions and Champions Universe in mid-late 2009, the Cryptic vision for things will be the controlling one. They own the IP; that's their privilege. It would be kinda hypocritical of me to think otherwise, since I gleefully tossed CLOWN and whatever else I didn't like out the door back in 2002. ;)

I wonder if this means we can get a Champions comic book with our subscription like they did with CoH?

I believe they're thinking of something along those lines, but really that's a question you'd have to put to Cryptic directly for a full answer.

Absolutely. In fact' date=' some of that sort of thing you'll see in books due out this year -- for example, when we publish [i']Champions Beyond,[/i] it'll be chock-full of Cryptic art depicting the Qularr, the Elder Worm, and so on. Most of that sort of thing has never been seen, so we can "dovetail" the MMO and the RPG immediately, to the enrichment of both.

Whether, and to what extent, we'll start switching depictions of existing characters, is an issue yet to be decided. But at the very latest, when we launch a new Champions and Champions Universe in mid-late 2009, the Cryptic vision for things will be the controlling one. They own the IP; that's their privilege. It would be kinda hypocritical of me to think otherwise, since I gleefully tossed CLOWN and whatever else I didn't like out the door back in 2002. ;)

So they could bring back CLOWN if they wanted? (Please do not hurt me :slap:)

So they could bring back CLOWN if they wanted? (Please do not hurt me :slap:)

Yes indeed, but one of the exciting options is: so can you! Well, one of them, anyway, in the form of your Nemesis. I love that.

OK, maybe not so cool in the case of Clown. I imagine a villain with lots of disabling and other really annoying Powers to make your life miserable when you fight him...

I notice that on the news page it says you sold Champions and Dark Champions IPs to Cryptic, and that you have the license to continue producing Champions. I'm assuming you also have the license for Dark Champions, right?

Also, should this be a sticky?

So does that mean that when DOJ redoes Champions for 6th edition that characters like DR. D and Defender will have to conform to Cryptic's character depictions?

Absolutely. In fact' date=' some of that sort of thing you'll see in books due out this year -- for example, when we publish [i']Champions Beyond,[/i] it'll be chock-full of Cryptic art depicting the Qularr, the Elder Worm, and so on. Most of that sort of thing has never been seen, so we can "dovetail" the MMO and the RPG immediately, to the enrichment of both.

Personally, IMO I don't really see a problem here. While I have always been more than satisfied with the books as is, and have never really needed that much artwork, it has been a recurring issue on the boards for years. Looking at the pics of Defender and Dr. D on the COMMO site and I think they look good. While they may change the color schemes on some, in the end I think this will add that dash of color that many of you out there have been looking for in the books. Covers at first and maybe some on the inside as well.

In my mind I can see a Champions 6th guide that has two versions. One a COMMO game guide for character creation and a intro to the CU world and two a Hero guide that is basically the same but addressing Hero System chargen plus converting COMMO to Hero/Hero to COMMO.

From my little corner of the Universe this looks win/win to me.

I heard about this, about a week or so ago from a friend on the inside. Though, he wasn't sure if the MMO would use the Hero System for character creation or not. Though, I am still excited for the game, my excitement now comes simply because it will be another Superhero MMO and CoH, though good, has about hit as much as it can without a huge update.

I would have rather had an MMO with the Hero rules and a different universe, than an MMO with the Champions Universe and different rules. Really it is the rules that makes the game. The universe is ok, but is a little vanilla and not much different than any other superhero unniverse out there. I mean actually, the CoH universe is just as exciting and actually more unique than the Champions Universe. I'm not taking anything away from the CU, it is good, and I will like fighting the likes of Viper and Dr. Destroyer, but without the rules behind it, it's gonna seem like I'm just fighting CoH versions of those characters, and not the real thing.

Though past all that, I figured, this would be the case from the start, so its not much of a surprise. Though, I didn't figure Hero would SELL them there universe, I thought they would license it instead. Maybe this is why Cryptic wanted this in the first place though, as Marvel and DC would never sell their IP to Cryptic. The reason I figured this would be the case is because it would be really hard to maintain balance in an MMO using the Hero System without a GM to help keep things balanced. I mean they could easily implement a rock solid campaign guideline system, and not let people get around it, but the Hero System is so flexible that even with that it would be easy to get around those guidelines and make exceptionally powerful characters. The only way you MIGHT be able to keep it balanced is if each character created was looked over and approved by a real person, and that would be both, way too expensive, and no one would want to wait for character approval.

So Congrats Hero... Though, don't get me started with Hero 6.

Will sales of COMMO impact DoJ in any way (e.g. bring in revenue) other than to bring more people into contact with the RPG system?

Given that it says that Cryptic has bought the IP from Hero Games, I suspect cash is going into Hero Games' bank account as part of the deal. Hero Games also gets to use art from Cryptic's artists in Champions books. On the other hand, Cryptic nows owns the Champions Universe and books in that universe will require their approval.

It was mentioned at the seminar the other day that Cryptic approached Hero Games about this deal, not the other way around, so it wasn't like Hero Games put the IP for sale in a desperate move to raise cash, so I expect the deal was a fair one.

I heard about this, about a week or so ago from a friend on the inside. Though, he wasn't sure if the MMO would use the Hero System for character creation or not. Though, I am still excited for the game, my excitement now comes simply because it will be another Superhero MMO and CoH, though good, has about hit as much as it can without a huge update.

I would have rather had an MMO with the Hero rules and a different universe, than an MMO with the Champions Universe and different rules. Really it is the rules that makes the game. The universe is ok, but is a little vanilla and not much different than any other superhero unniverse out there. I mean actually, the CoH universe is just as exciting and actually more unique than the Champions Universe. I'm not taking anything away from the CU, it is good, and I will like fighting the likes of Viper and Dr. Destroyer, but without the rules behind it, it's gonna seem like I'm just fighting CoH versions of those characters, and not the real thing.

Though past all that, I figured, this would be the case from the start, so its not much of a surprise. Though, I didn't figure Hero would SELL them there universe, I thought they would license it instead. Maybe this is why Cryptic wanted this in the first place though, as Marvel and DC would never sell their IP to Cryptic. The reason I figured this would be the case is because it would be really hard to maintain balance in an MMO using the Hero System without a GM to help keep things balanced. I mean they could easily implement a rock solid campaign guideline system, and not let people get around it, but the Hero System is so flexible that even with that it would be easy to get around those guidelines and make exceptionally powerful characters. The only way you MIGHT be able to keep it balanced is if each character created was looked over and approved by a real person, and that would be both, way too expensive, and no one would want to wait for character approval.

So Congrats Hero... Though, don't get me started with Hero 6.

Well, you've got to remember that Champions Online is not CoH with a Champions skin. Cryptic Studios no longer owns any part of Coh/CoV and no longer has any part in its development. This is a whole new engine and I expect a whole new approach to the concept of a superhero MMO that builds upon Cryptic's experiences with CoH/CoV. After all, since they are now competing with CoH/CoV, they are going to want to outdo it.

Well' date=' you've got to remember that Champions Online is not CoH with a Champions skin. Cryptic Studios no longer owns any part of Coh/CoV and no longer has any part in its development. This is a whole new engine and I expect a whole new approach to the concept of a superhero MMO that builds upon Cryptic's experiences with CoH/CoV. After all, since they are now competing with CoH/CoV, they are going to want to outdo it.[/quote']

I know, I wasn't meaning that Viper or Dr. D WOULD be CoH characters. What I was meaning was that, I have seen and fought like a billion Hulk Clones in CoH and though they look like the Hulk, and are big strong guys, its still not the same as if I was fighting a Hulk, built perfectly to match using any of the Marvel RPG rulesets. I was just meaning the same would hld true here for people like Dr. Destroyer. He may look like him, have his name and everything, but looking at his charactersheet, you can see some of what he is capable of. Like throwing 2 HUGE EB's at you at once. They may try and mimic this in the Online game, but it won't have the Hero Rules backing it up, so it'll feel off somehow.