Information for HERO/Champions Fans About The Champions Online MMO

Steve Long

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Information for HERO/Champions Fans About The Champions Online MMO

Strong move on Cryptic's part. That way if anything in Champions Online resembles CoH too closely Cryptic can point to the HERO material that inspired that aspect of the game, show that it preceeded CoH and preempt any nasty legal shenanigans. :sneaky::thumbup: Here's hoping HERO got a nice influx of loot also.

Strong move on Cryptic's part. That way if anything in Champions Online resembles CoH too closely Cryptic can point to the HERO material that inspired that aspect of the game' date=' show that it preceeded CoH and preempt any nasty legal shenanigans. :sneaky::thumbup: Here's hoping HERO got a nice influx of loot also.[/quote']

Hadn't thought of that.

Yeah it's a bad day for being productive online. Gonna have to close the browser pretty soon. :(

Wow, I do have to say the game looks good. The new Defender costume looks awesome... Actually, it looks a lot like my armored character does. He didn't have a full helmet either, AND used an energy sword. Though, if the villain in one of the screenshots is supposed to be Dr. Destroyer, I am sorely disappointed in Cryptic's depiction of him.

Though, if the villain in one of the screenshots is supposed to be Dr. Destroyer, I am sorely disappointed in Cryptic's depiction of him.

I know he was depicted in the magazine, so I suspect he's used in the screenshots on the MMO's site. I won't claim his new look would be my first choice either, but it's Cryptic's say and they have good reasons for making the change that will be revealed in time. :eg:

Given that it says that Cryptic has bought the IP from Hero Games, I suspect cash is going into Hero Games' bank account as part of the deal. Hero Games also gets to use art from Cryptic's artists in Champions books. On the other hand, Cryptic nows owns the Champions Universe and books in that universe will require their approval.

It was mentioned at the seminar the other day that Cryptic approached Hero Games about this deal, not the other way around, so it wasn't like Hero Games put the IP for sale in a desperate move to raise cash, so I expect the deal was a fair one.

I was just wondering if it's a one-off payment or an ongoing payment. Now that I think of it, though, I wouldn't be surprised if an official answer on specifics of a business deal is unlikely to be forthcoming.

I've never played an MMO before' date=' this will be my first. I'm looking forward to it.[/quote']

Either have I...I am also worried about whether I will want to play it on PC or Xbox 360. My PC is a little underpowered so I might be in the market for an Xbox 360 when the game nears release.

Either have I...I am also worried about whether I will want to play it on PC or Xbox 360. My PC is a little underpowered so I might be in the market for an Xbox 360 when the game nears release.

Honestly, I am hoping for a Wii release. :eek: What, it is a good gaming platform and the Wii control would make really fun. Since that is not likely to happen, I am hoping for it will come to the PS3. My wife like the games that are exclusive to the PS3; and I would hate to have to buy a Xbox as well. :D

I know he was depicted in the magazine' date=' so I suspect he's used in the screenshots on the MMO's site. I won't claim his new look would be my first choice either, but it's Cryptic's say and they have good reasons for making the change that will be revealed in time. :eg:[/quote']

It's actually growing on me a LITTLE bit. I checked out the profile shots, and he looks better and a bit more like Hero's Dr. D when he has his cape on. Though he doesn't look as all powerful as Hero's version does. I think its because when I see Hero's version I imagine him bigger.

Fighting VIPER... fighting Elder Worms... I'm going to faint.

I'm going to make sure to get Omnipresent as a Hero as soon as you can register them. I wish there was a way to reserve names in advance.

That was pure evil.........

You just had to say it.....

Now I will have to live with the realization that by the time I can play, my heroes name will have been swiped by some lowly upstart.....:mad:....grrrrrrrr

:nonp:

Honestly' date=' I am hoping for a Wii release. :eek: What, it is a good gaming platform and the Wii control would make really fun. Since that is not likely to happen, I am hoping for it will come to the PS3. My wife like the games that are exclusive to the PS3; and I would hate to have to buy a Xbox as well. :D[/quote']

Right now the site and magazine say Xbox 360 and PC but I would also LOVE a Wii version...I am a big Nintendo fanboy. ;)

I haven't played video games for about fifteen years, and I've never been interested in the online gaming thing, but I might be to try this. Hopefully, this game will bring some new blood to the pen and paper games so they don't totally die out with the current generation. Congratulatons to Mr. Long and the entire DOJ staff.

That's what I'm wondering too.

I need to know when I need a second Hard-Drive, more RAM, and Windows VISTA by.

Just FYI, there's a dev post over on the COMMO forums indicating that it won't require Windows Vista.

On the RPG side, does this mean the future Dark Champions 6th ed book will go back to being a "dark, iron-age comics" kinda book and then we'll get a "Modern Hero" book...?

Things like that have yet to be determined. Contrary to the gloom-and-doom predictions of some elsewhere on this board, it's not our intention to do nothing but reprint existing books for 6E. ;)

Things like that have yet to be determined. Contrary to the gloom-and-doom predictions of some elsewhere on this board' date=' it's not our intention to do nothing but reprint existing books for 6E. ;)[/quote']

Nor did I ever think, as such... Looking forward to it, I must say!:celebrate