I've always wondered: How many pts. to take down Galactus?

palaskar

I've always wondered this...

How many points did Dr. Strange use from his Magic VPP to take down Galactus with Strange's "Summoning all the ghosts of the people you've killed"? :eek:

Remember, although originally Galactus had to eat rarely (once a century, I think) for most of his billions of years lifespan, he has had to snack on a planet about every month when he started taking heralds (centuries or millenia (sp!) ago, judging from the fact that the Sivler Surfer's race lives thousands of years.)

So, how many points are we talking here?

Re: I've always wondered: How many pts. to take down Galactus?

Ah, the old images of Ikonn...

Let me take a shot

79 points, 20d6 Mental Illusions, Only to make character be haunted by the memories of everyone he's ever killed, NND(Defense is common, don't kill people!;+1/2), alien and human class of minds. Concentration (-1/2), Extra Time full phase (-1/2) (158 Active Points) ;)

I would also add gestures or incantations, but Strange seems to do those more as an FX than anything.

Re: I've always wondered: How many pts. to take down Galactus?

Quite right, Hermit. Galactus had come to Earth chasing his rebellious herald at the time, Terrax the Tamer. After dealing with Terrax, Galactus needed to dine on Earth, because he was dangerously low on life energy and very weak (for Galactus). The Fantastic Four and the Avengers all teamed up to try to take him down, but even weakened Galactus was still holding them off, until Dr. Strange used the Images of Ikonn to freak him out and leave him open to a finishing assault.

• 14 years later...

Resurrecting this long-dead thread to post my take on it. Some while back I tried to stat up Dr. Strange, and that feat was one of the ones I used for sample spells:

Images Of Ikonn: Mental Illusions 30d6, Alien class of minds (150 Active Points); Concentration (½DCV; -¼), Extra Time (Full Phase; -½), Gestures (-¼). Total cost: 75 points.

I figured at that level, it would be enough to reasonably get an EGO+30 result against even Galactus' mental defenses—assuming stats similar to Xarriel's—and effectively drop him into a coma from which he no longer interacts with his surroundings.

On 10/1/2022 at 7:44 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I always viewed enemies like Galactus as being not written up enemies but challenges to find the right way to beat them.  As in, this isn't a supervillain that you punch but a puzzle you solve (we need the ultimate nullifier).

This brings up an interesting game dilemma. Say you're running Galactus as a "Force of Nature" kind of character. No stats really, as he shouldn't be able to be beaten up easily. However, during a game, a player comes to you with an idea akin to the Dr. Strange solution. How to run that as part of the puzzle since it worked in the comics? What do you tell the player?