Your Dream Projects For Hero Books

Susano

Re: Your Dream Projects For Hero Books

Yarg. The bloody thing is written. The bloody thing is laid-out. The only thing the bloody thing needs is a frickin' artist who won't frickin' flake out on us and frickin' disappear every frickin' three months. :mad:

Dag nabitt! Now I have to wipe up the drool all over my desk.......... ;)

On a serious note. Is this really a problem??

I was under the impression that publication credits were a major plus in the art world. And of course lack reliability is a major strike in any occupation.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see how Danger International ends up on a list of projects not likely to be worth the time to produce.

With the amount of tension and instability all over the world, I'm surprised this isn't a higher priority.

Granted, the fluid nature of international espionage and the politics that motivate them makes for a challenging topic, but a good sourcebook on the universal elements of spycraft would be a welcome addition to my gaming library. I'm sure there are others who think similarly on the subject.

I am not any sort of expert you understand.

But so far the Hero Genre books, specifically Pulp Hero, Fantasy Hero and Dark Champions, are a major step up from the content you usually find. IIRC the modern espionage book that they would like to write would required extensive time and research. They could pump out a lesser book to “cash in”, but that would cut into their current standards. Currently I know that whenever I pick up a Hero Book, while I may disagree with the coverage associated with the title, I know that the content will be solid and usable. I can’t tell you how many non-Hero Pulp supplement I have bought, and how many of them don’t meet the quality of my game session notes.

I would love to see DI, but I would rather wait until they can put out quality rather than just something now.

Of course I may be WAY off and lost in La la land….:D

Personaly, I would like to see (First name choice taken, second choice trademarked) Super Powered Heroes, a genre book that explores what is commonly called Super Heroes to the same depth as Dark Champions, Fantasy Hero, or Pulp Hero did for there respective genre's. I would also like to see it written by a small committee of people taking different sections (No offence to Steve, but the silver/bronze age stuff would be more interesting to me by Darren, while the Iron age should definatly be done by Steve)

And while I am dreaming big...An Alex Ross cover...

Dag nabitt! Now I have to wipe up the drool all over my desk.......... ;)

Thanks. :)

On a serious note. Is this really a problem??

I was under the impression that publication credits were a major plus in the art world. And of course lack reliability is a major strike in any occupation.

Yeah, it's a real problem. I can't explain it. :(

Yeah, it's a real problem. I can't explain it. :(

Wow, well I would like to say I could help you, But the finding, interviewing and hiring of an artist is completely off the radar as far as skills/experience I possess.

As often as I hear the artsy people I know complain about getting exposure opportunities, you would think the problem would be winnowing down the list of applicants, not finding one.

As often as I hear the artsy people I know complain about getting exposure opportunities' date=' you would think the problem would be winnowing down the list of applicants, not finding one.[/quote']

Well, part of the problem is that we're small press, which means the money is pretty small, too. You'd think we'd be able to find a couple of "beginners with a lot of promise" who wanted to break into the industry... but it seems like the folks we can afford are kinda unreliable. :(

I'm thinking about doing the art myself. I can't draw, but I can paint miniatures and 'shop them to look like they were 2-d painted. Dunno. That might be the way to go.

Well, part of the problem is that we're small press, which means the money is pretty small, too. You'd think we'd be able to find a couple of "beginners with a lot of promise" who wanted to break into the industry... but it seems like the folks we can afford are kinda unreliable. :(

I'm thinking about doing the art myself. I can't draw, but I can paint miniatures and 'shop them to look like they were 2-d painted. Dunno. That might be the way to go.

I've never really dwelled on art in a book, except maps, floorplans and deckplans of course.

I understand the reliable part though.

I was shocked, but when I first got out I discovered that many businesses out here actually consider "shows up for work" as a major retention point regardless if the person does much while at work.

I hadn't really thought about this as a HERO supplement before, so I only have a hastily thrown together working title:

Mastermind Support

I wanna be a super villain, but I don't know where to start!

Where do I get henchmen from?

Who makes villain costumes?

How do I get the plans to the museum?

What's a good schtick to use?

Meet the services behind the super villains. A network of spies, mercenaries, gadgeteers, information brokers and more dedicated to supplying the super villain industry.

I created a lot of this information already, and would be fun to translate it into a gaming supplement.

I hadn't really thought about this as a HERO supplement before, so I only have a hastily thrown together working title:

Mastermind Support

I wanna be a super villain, but I don't know where to start!

Where do I get henchmen from?

Who makes villain costumes?

How do I get the plans to the museum?

What's a good schtick to use?

Meet the services behind the super villains. A network of spies, mercenaries, gadgeteers, information brokers and more dedicated to supplying the super villain industry.

I created a lot of this information already, and would be fun to translate it into a gaming supplement.

Years (and I means years, like around 3rd/4th Edition) ago, in one issues of the Adventure Club, they detailed that something like that as an upcoming release.

Years (and I means years' date=' like around 3rd/4th Edition) ago, in one issues of the Adventure Club, they detailed that something like that as an upcoming release.[/quote']

Was it AC? After you mentioned it, I dimly remember something along those lines. The title "The Ultimate Mastermind" jumps into my mind, but I know that is just wishful thinking :D

Was it AC? After you mentioned it' date=' I dimly remember something along those lines. The title "The Ultimate Mastermind" jumps into my mind, but I know that is just wishful thinking :D[/quote']

It was in an AC issue and it out lined a number of upcoming releases. Most never came out, unfortunately. I do recall that they talked about Champions of the Rising Sun, a Champions sourcebook for Japan.

The number of proposed books that have never become reality is depressing.

I really wish that Champions on the Bay, had come out. It was to be a Champions sourcebook to update the Protectors to 4th Edition and information of San Franciso area.

Years (and I means years' date=' like around 3rd/4th Edition) ago, in one issues of the Adventure Club, they detailed that something like that as an upcoming release.[/quote']

So there's a demand, right?

Was it AC? After you mentioned it' date=' I dimly remember something along those lines. The title "The Ultimate Mastermind" jumps into my mind, but I know that is just wishful thinking :D[/quote']

The Ultimate Mastermind...why didn't I think of that? Consider it stolen :eg:

I know I'm gonna get slapped for this' date=' but I'd honestly want to write a Furry Hero meta-genre book. There's a lot of good, non-sleazy furry work out there. Erma Felna EDF, Zaibatsu Tears, the Redwall books, and classics like Watership Down.[/quote']

You like Zaibatsu Tears? I loved that series! :rockon:

I guess that if I asked, "Do you like Pi?", the answer would be a foregone conclusion, wouldn't it?

Oh, in that case...

I'd love to write The Book Of The Undying King, giving Takofanes the same treatment that Dr. Destroyer and Mechanon will be getting in their sourcebooks. I have a bunch of ideas for his followers, bases, and plans. And this would let me update my remake of Profesor Muerte for Sixth Edition and make him official. :D

Maybe you can post them on a Champions sub-forum thread? I'd love to see them.

Victorian Hero

Danger International

The Pulp Resource Guide

Dark Champions Battlegrounds

The above I would buy

In fact I have the original DI still in my posession somewhere.

I have Espionage :D

Now you see that is what I am talking about.

If Steve would release the old text, a competent person could update the stats to 5th or 6th edition, and expose the joy to more people.

Same with Horror Hero, Cyberhero, etc. I would totally pay for just that sort of updated texts.

The only thing the bloody thing needs is a frickin' artist who won't frickin' flake out on us and frickin' disappear every frickin' three months.

I'm available and I won't flake out on you. I charge for my work, though. If you want some samples I have some at my website, and can send you some more stuff I've done that is in other work. Seriously, I write and draw for a living (such as it is). OK I can't live on what I make off it, but it sounds good on paper.

And all those projects Steve mentioned sound great, I loved Western Hero and I'd like to echo the previous poster that said if you released the materials to people they could update the books to the modern rules cheap and quickly.

You like Zaibatsu Tears? I loved that series! :rockon:

I guess that if I asked, "Do you like Pi?", the answer would be a foregone conclusion, wouldn't it?

What little I've seen of BlackSladd (sp?) looked awesome.

Now you see that is what I am talking about.

If Steve would release the old text, a competent person could update the stats to 5th or 6th edition, and expose the joy to more people.

Same with Horror Hero, Cyberhero, etc. I would totally pay for just that sort of updated texts.

As I've mentioned elsewhere Kazei 5 might be what you're looking for with regards to Cyber Hero.

What little I've seen of BlackSladd (sp?) looked awesome.

I *think* the title is BlackSad, and from what I can remmeber, the art was indeed magnificent.

I also remember something from Germany -- big, beautiful hardcover books about a swashbuckling anthropomorphic Spanish wolf (called Don Lobe'?) and his fox sidekick in some very odd story that seemed to be all humans aside from them. I never did learn the title though. I do remember that the wolf had a human gypsy girlfriend who looked like a hotter version of Disney's Esmerelda.