Your Dream Projects For Hero Books

Susano

Re: Your Dream Projects For Hero Books

1. An updated version of Normals Unbound, with an extra section for expanded write ups of the "normal, secret IDs" of important heroes and villains like Defender.

2. Around the world in 200+ heroes. One hero(or villain) for each country.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. An updated version of Normals Unbound' date=' with an extra section for expanded write ups of the "normal, secret IDs" of important heroes and villains like Defender.[/quote']

Something like has this has been done by DOJ.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recall if I've posted this here in this thread, but an expanded Solar Smith world book would be cool. Martian and Venusian Empires, space pirates, free traders, more ships designs, lots more "zap" guns, style out the wazoo. A one shot world book about like Tuala Morn would be great.

Where's that old post I did? Ah...

Yeah, one more vote for an SF Pulp setting.

Pulp Hero: 2130-2139 as it were.

Art Deco spaceships. Earth, Mars and Venus are all spacefaring empires. (Mars and Venus are not human, obviously.) Smugglers ply the asteroid belt. The moons Jupiter and Saturn are full of primative, barbaric races barely capable of spaceflight, and there are Things from Beyond further out on Neptune, Uranus and Pluto. (Remember Pluto is probably a captured planet from outside solar system, something reflected in it's eccentric orbit.)

Since the original thrust of the thread was books we'd like to write, I think I'd enjoy the challenge of turning my riff of The Valley Of Night from the Champions Universe into a full sourcebook. Expanded background text, NPC character sheets and illustrations, character type templates, animal and creature write-ups, magic spells and items, weapons and equipment, maps, plot seeds... the whole nine yards.

I'd need collaborators for areas where I'm weak, like maps; but I bet we could fill a hundred pages easily.

Because its a genre that continues to lurk ion the backrgoud, I'd like to take a giant stab at Sengoku Hero in the near future. It could in corporate some of the elements of GRG's SENGOKU RPG, NINJA HERO, maybe the old BUSHIDO RPG and my own spin on many of the items.

There would be campaign seeds like "Legend of the Five Elements Hero", "Anthropomorphic Animal Jidai-Geki Hero", "Post Apocaypse Feudal Japan Hero" and ways to incorporate Champions, Dark Champions, Star Hero (i.e. "Sengoku Alien Invasion Hero"), Horror Hero (which needs a 5th Ed upgrade, BTW, for "Kwaidan Hero") and perhaps others.

Maybe the interest level isn't terribly high, but that's what fuels my desire. To bring a new world of roleplaying to a whole fanbase. It always suprised mme how many Westerners love knight and dragons and all of those trappings, but often don't know much abotu Feudal Japan and how it had many of the same roots, but a far different culture.

Because its a genre that continues to lurk ion the backrgoud' date=' I'd like to take a giant stab at [i']Sengoku Hero[/i] in the near future.

As you can see from the links below, there's already a solid, quality basis for such a work on the Internet. :)

Complete HERO web sourcebook for adventuring in this era of feudal Japan:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/9529/Gaming_stuff/Sengoku/sengoku_front_page.html

Numerous characters from a campaign based on the sourcebook above, plus more cultural and historical details and game mechanics:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Underworld/1701/sengoku_index.htm

A more mythic/magical approach to HERO gaming in this setting, including spells, Package Deals, and optional rules:

http://members.tripod.com/~hawk_wind/hero/rissun.html

According to the creator of the first website above, our own Mark "Markdoc" Doherty, his material is fairly popular with gamers. Feudal Japan seems to have long been the historical Oriental culture most accessible to Westerners.

• 2 weeks later...

Yarg. The bloody thing is written. The bloody thing is laid-out. The only thing the bloody thing needs is a frickin' artist who won't frickin' flake out on us and frickin' disappear every frickin' three months. :mad:

I just got hold of our latest artist (who, predictably, flaked out and disappeared for three months). Turns out he had some hideous sort of bronchitus; laid up for weeks, had to drop out of school, bleh. Anyway, he's well again and really wants to get his art in for the book. So in the long, drawn out, on-again-off-again process... I think we're on-again. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

According to the creator of the first website above, our own Mark "Markdoc" Doherty, his material is fairly popular with gamers. Feudal Japan seems to have long been the historical Oriental culture most accessible to Westerners.

You know, I borrowed characters and NPCs from his website for my own game back in the day.

I suppose its not so far out of the mainstream as I might have first thought.

With the announcement of 6th Edition and the like, I started thinking of what books I'd love to create for the HERO System.

1) Ninja Hero for 6th Edition: With the advances in presentation, layout, and concept, I'd love to tear down NH and start over. Make it look more like Pulp Hero or Dark Champions in content, with possible character packages (a basic martial artist package at the very least), comments on advancement of different character types, and so on. Have powers presented as Offensive, Defense, Movement, Sensory, Other. Include all my cool Fu Powers from several of my DH article. Bring in my fictional martial arts styles from my DH article. Emphasize that a NH game (or campaign) is not just guys in white pajamas going "hi-keeba" on each other. It can be samurai on campaign, ninja spy missions, street fighters traveling the world for pit matches, luchadors using wrestling to solve the world's problems, Irish warriors using feats to do stuff just as crazy as any anime, Chinese fantasy films, French musketeers, and Spanish Main swashbucklers.

If you could do that, I could give you real life rep...:cool:

In any case, there needs to be an Anime HERO book to fill the BESM void.

Yeah i know that there is a 3rd edition from White Wolf, but there's still isn't one from HERO.

Reading an earlier post about a SF Pulp HERO book, why not have the genre books go into somewhat greater detail about how they can mix together?

In any case, there needs to be an Anime HERO book to fill the BESM void.

Yeah i know that there is a 3rd edition from White Wolf, but there's still isn't one from HERO.

Reading an earlier post about a SF Pulp HERO book, why not have the genre books go into somewhat greater detail about how they can mix together?

"Anime" Hero will also depend on Steve and Darren and if they see a market for it.