Hurl Lightning from another’s lightning ability…

Silverbullet

Ok guys I need some quick help. One of my players is creating a “Son of Zeus” for my current Champs game. He is more or less the same as Zeus, just a bit less powerful (hehe.) Most of it is not too difficult. But I need a little help with one of the powers. He can hurl lightning like Zeus, but like him, he cannot create it. Like Zeus he must have some other source. Zeus had Vulcan create it for him, I want this character to be able to absorbed it through a light socket or another character hurling it at him. This in turn would make the power variable based on the source. I figured he would carry a staff that could act as a lightning-rod to attract it while outside in a storm.

I do need this ASAP. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Re: Hurl Lightning from another’s lightning ability…

Ok guys I need some quick help. One of my players is creating a “Son of Zeus” for my current Champs game. He is more or less the same as Zeus, just a bit less powerful (hehe.) Most of it is not too difficult. But I need a little help with one of the powers. He can hurl lightning like Zeus, but like him, he cannot create it. Like Zeus he must have some other source. Zeus had Vulcan create it for him, I want this character to be able to absorbed it through a light socket or another character hurling it at him. This in turn would make the power variable based on the source. I figured he would carry a staff that could act as a lightning-rod to attract it while outside in a storm.

I do need this ASAP. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Without thinking about this too much, I would allow him to have a 1-4d6 Energy Blast (or 1pip to 1d6 RKA) and have Absorption that adds to the EB. On the plus side, it will save some points and is a unique (or at least uncommon) build. On the con side, it might cost close to the same of what you're looking for as welling as taking some time to get up to a worth-while power.

Another option is to let him build it at full capacity and put a custom limitation on it, possibly linked with Absorption (maybe "can only cast 1d6 per Body absorbed"). This might be worth -1/2. This way, his attack doesn't start off very powerful, but can get there rather quickly.

Another option is to let him build it at full capacity and put a custom limitation on it, possibly linked with Absorption (maybe "can only cast 1d6 per Body absorbed"). This might be worth -1/2. This way, his attack doesn't start off very powerful, but can get there rather quickly.

Hum.. I like that. This may be the way to go. Like I said, most of it is his other powers, but this looks interesting…

I'd give him something like

Lighting Bolt: 12d6 Energy Blast, Requires Electrical Source (OIF of Opportunity) -1/2. 60 Active Points, 40 Real Points.

Flavor to taste. If the bolt comes out of the wall socket, it might need Indirect. If the power is reduced for ordinary wall current or car batteries, the OIF might be worth a little more.

I just guessed at the value for "OIF of Opportunity" btw. It seems like electricity is pretty common, so -1/2 seemed right.

You should also give him another attack, just in case he's in a big field somewhere or a forrest with no electricity. I'd favor at least 40 STR, maybe 50 STR, which will give him a reasonable attack. Hercules was very strong, so this seems ok to me. There's a "Wrestling" package on page 402 of 5er. Call it "Greco-Roman Wrestling" and I think it'll be good.

Another way to do it is for the character to have an END Battery that powers his lightning bolts, and the only way the Battery charges up is for him to tap a power outlet (conditional REC) or metabolize energy thrown at him (Absorption.) If the character can "boomerang" energy attacks immediately back at the aggressor, Missile Deflection can work well.

I have a character with a similar power.

The character: Rebound, has the power to absorb, and expel energy. She is built with a 50 point VPP with the limitation Only to mimic the SFX of the last power absorbed. And she has a 4d6 absorb (any energy attack) 1 minute return rate, absorb to VPP

The GM and I have agreed that the lim on the VPP means that the base pool is unaxcessable if she has no energy absorbed. The character is a ton of fun, but with that being her only actual power there have been a number of times during fights where the character feels useless because nobody on the team is an energy projector, and she can't shoot unless already hit.

So unless "Son of Zeus" has other powers (the lightning being only a backup power) I think it may be best to give him an item (like a belt, staff, or arm band) that allows him to shoot his bolts with some regularity. Either that or he is going to be shoving his hand into the electrical socket a great deal.

I would consider giving him something like this:

Armband of Lightning: 10d6 EB (lightning), OIF (golden armband with lightning bolt symbol) (-1/2).

I would also consider giving it 8-10 charges (it needs to sit near an electrical source for a given amount of time to recharge). But I would consider keeping its end cost even if it does have charges.

Gojira's idea is good also.

Another way to do it is for the character to have an END Battery that powers his lightning bolts' date=' and the only way the Battery charges up is for him to tap a power outlet (conditional REC) or metabolize energy thrown at him (Absorption.)[/quote']This I like. Along with Gojira's Indirect mention (which I had thought about also, but while typing forgot to add, go figure), these could make a very nice and NOT run-of-the-mill power!

This I like. Along with Gojira's Indirect mention (which I had thought about also' date=' but while typing forgot to add, go figure), these could make a very nice and NOT run-of-the-mill power![/quote']

Thanks all. I did go with Gojira's Idea... (If I'd just learn to think once in a while, I might have come up with this:p) We'll be testing it today. Thanks so much, guys!!!

:thumbup:

I have a character with a similar power.

The character: Rebound, has the power to absorb, and expel energy. She is built with a 50 point VPP with the limitation Only to mimic the SFX of the last power absorbed. And she has a 4d6 absorb (any energy attack) 1 minute return rate, absorb to VPP

The GM and I have agreed that the lim on the VPP means that the base pool is unaxcessable if she has no energy absorbed. The character is a ton of fun, but with that being her only actual power there have been a number of times during fights where the character feels useless because nobody on the team is an energy projector, and she can't shoot unless already hit.

So unless "Son of Zeus" has other powers (the lightning being only a backup power) I think it may be best to give him an item (like a belt, staff, or arm band) that allows him to shoot his bolts with some regularity. Either that or he is going to be shoving his hand into the electrical socket a great deal.

I would consider giving him something like this:

Armband of Lightning: 10d6 EB (lightning), OIF (golden armband with lightning bolt symbol) (-1/2).

I would also consider giving it 8-10 charges (it needs to sit near an electrical source for a given amount of time to recharge). But I would consider keeping its end cost even if it does have charges.

Gojira's idea is good also.

Or a few lightning bolts he can grab out of a quiver, say 10d6 EB (lightning), OAF (Quiver of Lightning Bolts) (-1), with 4 charges (-1?).

Or a few lightning bolts he can grab out of a quiver' date=' say 10d6 EB (lightning), OAF (Quiver of Lightning Bolts) (-1), with 4 charges (-1?).[/quote']But then anyone can use them or take them away from him.

And really, do you want someone to steal your thunder? :D

But then anyone can use them or take them away from him.

*gasps. holds heart* Oh, that is just sooo bad!... didn't see it coming. :)

But then anyone can use them or take them away from him.

LOL, I'M not going to mess with the Son of Zeus!

Besides, they can be partly personal: if you can't handle lightning you shouldn't touch lightning bolts.