Supernatural Hero

General Markov

I want to do a paranormal investigation game and I'd like to base it on the "rules" of the Supernatural tv series. I've seen the Winchester brothers writeups somewhere, but I would like some help with the Demons......I'm not sure how to do that, nor do I know how to do an exorcism in game terms.....Any help would be welcome

Re: Supernatural Hero

Hmmmn. The "Rules" regarding supernatural critters seems like something you would have to go back and look at in the show. Then apply some sort of Disadvantage (say Susceptibility, Vulnerability or Physical Limitation) to the creature write up. Give me an example and maybe I could come up with something.

The Demon containing circle would be either a Force Wall or some sort of Entangle.

Exorcism depends a lot on how the demon gets there. Me, I would do it as EDM, Usable as an Attack, Extra Time (say one full turn), Incantations throughout, Expendable Focus (holy items), Demons Only, Only to Cast a Demon back to Hell.

Possession is a whole other matter. For the most part, I wouldn't worry about stating it out. In every case of demonic possession, the victim was an NPC. Even Old Man Winchester was more of an NPC (in game terms) than anything else.

I probably should not comment since i do not know the show in question, but...

It may be easier to give Demons the physical limitation of not being able to exit a properly made circle as a standard limitation.

The Demon containing circle would be either a Force Wall or some sort of Entangle.

I want to do a paranormal investigation game and I'd like to base it on the "rules" of the Supernatural tv series. I've seen the Winchester brothers writeups somewhere' date=' but I would like some help with the Demons......I'm not sure how to do that, nor do I know how to do an exorcism in game terms.....Any help would be welcome[/quote']

I'd say the first thing you have to decide is the meta-rules behind possession: Not the mechanics, but the choice of victims. From what I can see on the show, anybody (except the two principals -PC shield ;)) can be possessed at any time. IIRC, one time the brothers were attacking a nest of demons with the fire department just outside the building. They whacked a demon, and the camera cut to a fireman Going Blackeye and charging into the building. You'll have to decide whether there is any protection besides PC immunity from that. Else expect to go through a lot of DNPCs.

The second thing you'll have to decide is what kind of support your monster hunters have. In the first season all Sam n Dean had was "Dad's Book" a kind of Monster Manual. In the second season we found out that a whole sub culture of hunters were out there, giving advice and support.

Third thing: Do you want demons? IMNSHO demonic infestation was done to death on Charmed. If you do include them, are they going to be your central enemy, or will it be Monster of the Week?

Midas

I'd say the first thing you have to decide is the meta-rules behind possession: Not the mechanics, but the choice of victims. From what I can see on the show, anybody (except the two principals -PC shield ;)) can be possessed at any time. IIRC, one time the brothers were attacking a nest of demons with the fire department just outside the building. They whacked a demon, and the camera cut to a fireman Going Blackeye and charging into the building. You'll have to decide whether there is any protection besides PC immunity from that. Else expect to go through a lot of DNPCs.

Midas

Actually, I saw a more recent episode where this was explained. Sam and Dean were hold up in a jail building with a group of others. They handed out necklaces with charms on them that would prevent the wearer from being possessed. When one of the others pointed out that the brothers weren't wearing the charms, they opened their shirts to show that they had them tattooed on their chests.

Well, as far as critters go (and in specific, demons), I would use the following package to lay over any person as a start:

INT 12

EGO 15

PRE 15

Powers & Skills

10 .... Demonic Strength: +10 STR

8 ..... Doesn't Scare Easy: +15 PRE (Defense Only, -1)

10 .... Skin Puppet: 5 rPD/rED Armor

15 .... Won't Stay Down: Healing (Simplified) 3d6 (Self Only, -1)

2 ...... AK: Hell 11-

3 ...... Disguise 11-

2 ...... KS: Known Hunters 11-

15 .... Possession 18-

77 .... Total Abilities

-10 ... Social Limitations: Subject to Orders

-15 ... Susceptible: Holy Ground 2d6/Turn

-10 ... Vulnerable: Exorcism Effects (x2 Effect)

-10 ... Vulnerable: Demonic Wardings* (x2 Effect)

32 .... Total

*Demon Wardings include holding circles, toilets with crosses and anything else that mat be used in a pinch.

Possession [9+ (EGO/5)]: This skill allows a demon to possess a host body. To take them over, make a Possession roll vs. a target's EGO roll. If the demon wins, it takes over the body, replacing the target's INT, EGO and PRE with their own (as well as granting them the powers listed). Mental Defense does add to the target's EGO for the purpose of resisting possession.

Some Supernatural Powers for Hunters:

18 .... Exorcism Ritual: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), Usable As Attack (+1); Spell (-1/2), Requires A KS: Occultism Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

16 .... Holding Circle: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Requires A KS: Occultism Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

8 ..... Warding Tattoos: +8 Mental Defense

2 ..... Warding Necklaces: +4 Mental Defense (OAF, -1)

43 .... "The Colt": Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1; OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 1/2), 6 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; -3/4) plus Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), Usable As Attack (+1); Linked (Killing Attack - Ranged; -1/4)

Hope this helps :)

Originally Posted by Midas

I'd say the first thing you have to decide is the meta-rules behind possession: Not the mechanics, but the choice of victims. From what I can see on the show, anybody (except the two principals -PC shield ) can be possessed at any time. IIRC, one time the brothers were attacking a nest of demons with the fire department just outside the building. They whacked a demon, and the camera cut to a fireman Going Blackeye and charging into the building. You'll have to decide whether there is any protection besides PC immunity from that. Else expect to go through a lot of DNPCs.

Actually, I saw a more recent episode where this was explained. Sam and Dean were hold up in a jail building with a group of others. They handed out necklaces with charms on them that would prevent the wearer from being possessed. When one of the others pointed out that the brothers weren't wearing the charms, they opened their shirts to show that they had them tattooed on their chests.

We had to give up cable last year, but I have read reviews of that episode. Bumr, that bites. :thumbdown I had hoped there was some hope for us poor mortals not with Winchesters underfoot, but I guess not.

Midas

We had to give up cable last year, but I have read reviews of that episode. Bumr, that bites. :thumbdown I had hoped there was some hope for us poor mortals not with Winchesters underfoot, but I guess not.

Midas

Well, you can probably get the charms from almost any of the Hunters Underground.

Supernatural airs on a normal over the air channel here. Guess you must live somewhere that the (former) WB doesn't broadcast to.

Yeah, WB or whoever is on channel 65 out of Richmond, going coast to coast with four watts of power. :rolleyes:

You can also get Seasons 1 and 2 on disc .. great stuff! :)

Oh yeah, on the list.

Originally Posted by Midas

We had to give up cable last year, but I have read reviews of that episode. Bumr, that bites. I had hoped there was some hope for us poor mortals not with Winchesters underfoot, but I guess not.

Well, you can probably get the charms from almost any of the Hunters Underground.

Hee! Well yeah, but figure the odds. Which is more likely to happen: You run into a Hunter that is willing to admit his hobby, or you get possessed by a demon? :help:

Oh. Well' date=' I thought you meant for the PCs, whom I assumed would [i']be [/i]hunters.

Yeppers. But it bugs me that normals and mundanes have no defense against demons in SP world. The *only* thing preventing a complete demonic takeover are the Winchester brothers and a Trickster. (We saw how effective the other hunters were at the end of season 2 :rolleyes:).

Re the original post, if I were DM'ing, I'd change that. :D

Midas

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read any post except the OP, so if I am repeating something, I'm sorry, it's late I just wanted to get this out =)

For Demons I would go with a susceptibility to exorcisms, that way any characters with the appropriate skill can perform a exorcism without having to buy some extremely expensive and complicated 10ds RKA, only vs. Demons, etc (you get the point)

Likewise for "Demonic Traps" (i.e. binding circles) a simple Physical Limitation for demons, such as "Bound / powerless within mystic circles" (again, you get the point) would suffice to trap a demon without complicated and unnecessary power constructs on the part of the player characters.

IMHO, in these kinds of genres (read, non-superheroic) its best to put as much of the "genre rubbish" as possible on the NPCs, rather than forcing them on PCs. If it easier done with a simple disadvantage rather than a power, i suggest you go that route, as long as the disadvantage is common to ALL NPCs of that type (in this case, Demons). After all, if a stake in the heart renders Vampires immobile, then THAT is a vampire problem, not something the PCs should have to pay for. Especially since in the Supernatural TV series, it seems like anyone can read the excorsism ritual straight out of a book and banish a demon (e.g. the last episode has dozens of demons being excorsised by a taped recording, heh)

anyway, my 2 cents...not worth much, but given just the same ;)

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, in these kinds of genres (read, non-superheroic) its best to put as much of the "genre rubbish" as possible on the NPCs, rather than forcing them on PCs. If it easier done with a simple disadvantage rather than a power, i suggest you go that route, as long as the disadvantage is common to ALL NPCs of that type (in this case, Demons). After all, if a stake in the heart renders Vampires immobile, then THAT is a vampire problem, not something the PCs should have to pay for. Especially since in the Supernatural TV series, it seems like anyone can read the excorsism ritual straight out of a book and banish a demon (e.g. the last episode has dozens of demons being excorsised by a taped recording, heh)

anyway, my 2 cents...not worth much, but given just the same ;)

I agree, but I might (as a GM) ask for a KS occoult lore, PS: Hunter or other related skill roll to prepare proper demon traps, perform proper exorsims ect.

I probably should not comment since i do not know the show in question, but...

It may be easier to give Demons the physical limitation of not being able to exit a properly made circle as a standard limitation.

'Physical Limitation: Cannot Exit Or Attack Out Of A Properly Made Binding Circle' sounds about right to me as a standard limit for demons.

• 2 years later...

For Demons I would go with a susceptibility to exorcisms, that way any characters with the appropriate skill can perform a exorcism without having to buy some extremely expensive and complicated 10ds RKA, only vs. Demons, etc (you get the point)

Likewise for "Demonic Traps" (i.e. binding circles) a simple Physical Limitation for demons, such as "Bound / powerless within mystic circles" (again, you get the point) would suffice to trap a demon without complicated and unnecessary power constructs on the part of the player characters.

I was actually thinking there might be another way, which is actually similar to the way I'm planning to implement certain types of magic within one of up upcoming fantasy campaigns.

First, before the "boys" actually do an exorcism or lay a demon trap, they always have their faces in books... Their father's journal... Bobby's Library... etc. So, I was thinking about tackling this issue from that perspective.

For example, their father's book had a butt-load of exorcisms in it. So, I might build it as a function of the book, which would be equipment. (In a heroic game, equipment does not cost CPs) I wouldn't necessarily use the OAF limitation, requiring the character to read it from the book... (Although that might be a possibility, since in the phantom traveler episode, Sam is seen reading the exorcism from their father's journal.) New hunters would also want to start their own journal. That way they could copy exorcisms and the such into their own personal "experience book," allowing for easy access. - Is there any reason that you would use RKA for an exorcism, after all that would kill the "meat suit" that it's inside as well. Instead, maybe one might considering using the transform power to transform it from a "possessed human" to a "normal human."