Western Hero

Tclynch1962

Re: Western Hero

I would love to do a new WH. Love, love, love.

Unfortunately, the five or ten people who'd actually buy it aren't enough to justify the thousands of dollars I'd spend on reference material, the months of labor, and the costs of printing (not to mention little fripperies like art, though we could probably use clip art for a lot of a WH book). So, I wouldn't hold your breath. ;)

IIRC, Dark Champions: Heroes of Vengence has stats for many of the Classic Western Small Arms. It was also a period of Gunsmith/Inventors. You could literally find anything out there. Try these Resources.

Western Hero Resources

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55990

Western Champions

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1555585#post1555585

Western Hero Firearms for 1860 Campaigns by John Stevens (Thanks Doc Shadow)

http://www.geocities.com/blademaster01757/westernarms.html

Cheers

QM

You looking for real world gun info, or Hero gun info? If Hero, the Equipment Guide has a plethora of gun stats. You should be able to find what you need in there, or get real close at least.

Aroooo

HERO gun info :). Any suggestions on fan websites that might support campaigns? Extras?

So Steve, I dont know what you think of the old WH, but is the info in there (as far as gun damage) still good for 5th revised characters?

I would love to do a new WH. Love, love, love.

Unfortunately, the five or ten people who'd actually buy it aren't enough to justify the thousands of dollars I'd spend on reference material, the months of labor, and the costs of printing (not to mention little fripperies like art, though we could probably use clip art for a lot of a WH book). So, I wouldn't hold your breath. ;)

My only recollection of 4E WH is that it was, with all due respect to the most excellent Matt Forbeck, riddled with errors. Like the infamous man-sized scorpion writeup, f'rex. ;) So personally I wouldn't trust it, but different peoples tolerance for that sort of thing varies.

Well' date=' I bought it today (EBAY!). Hopefully the gun info will be of good use. I'm planning on running a 1870s game set in Montana near the Canadian border.[/quote']That is cool weird. When I first saw this thread, I pictured a similar area myself. Good luck with your project.

A pity there's so little chance of seeing a new edition of Western Hero. It does seem to be the most requested genre book yet to be published' date=' with the possible exception of Horror Hero.[/quote']

Hmmm... maybe an "Age of Steam" book painting a wide and general swath of Heroized world history. And if that sells, then targeted books. The American West, The British Empire and so on......

Just a thought...

My only recollection of 4E WH is that it was' date=' with all due respect to the most excellent Matt Forbeck, riddled with errors. Like the infamous man-sized scorpion writeup, f'rex. ;) So personally I wouldn't trust it, but different peoples tolerance for that sort of thing varies.[/quote']

Yes, some write-ups were not top-notch. Artwork/ layout was so-so but okay for the mid-90s.

The gunslingers were over the top, but that depends on how you want to play the game (Realistic: "I am the fastest gun in town" (= Dex 13, SPD 3, Fast Draw 12-, + 1 with pistols) or "I am Butsch Cassidy, the fastest gun in town" (= DEX 26, SPD 5, Fast Draw 19-, OCV with firearms between 10 and 15).

It's a matter of taste, both works well with Western Hero.

But people, but the old Western Hero anyway. The Deadwood campiagn setting is very nicely done (maybe a better mape would be okay) , and the adventure wa sone of the BEST I have ever gmed. Has it all: Bank-robbers, train-robbers, Indians, shoot-out in a hide-out. Just great! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be running my Western for the 1st time this weekend. I did a 75pts + up to 50 pts in disadds to start.

This is the first time most of us have done a western game in Hero. What should a typical character look like (points wise in Characteristics, skills, etc).

I have one player wanting to put 48pts into Combat skills (gun skills, hth, etc). Another is putting over 100 into characteristics (21 STR!!! :eek:) to represent a really strong ex-slave.

Suggestions?

The Code of the West.

Besides the Golden Age, Western Hero was probably a second-favorite in my gaming groups. The problem was getting them interested in the first place. Usually I'd dig out Silverado, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, or any other Clint Eastwood western and show it to 'em. That was usually all it took to get them all fired up for westerns.

Going to be running my Western for the 1st time this weekend. I did a 75pts + up to 50 pts in disadds to start.

This is the first time most of us have done a western game in Hero. What should a typical character look like (points wise in Characteristics, skills, etc).

I have one player wanting to put 48pts into Combat skills (gun skills, hth, etc). Another is putting over 100 into characteristics (21 STR!!! :eek:) to represent a really strong ex-slave.

Suggestions?

What's wrong with that? I once ran a pirate campaign where one of the characters was strong enough to throw 5-pound cannonballs the length of the ship. This came in handy during boarding actions. He'd find a pile of cannonballs on the enemy ship and start lobbing them at the officers on the aftercastle until they surrendered. Loads of fun!

Ever see They Call Me Trinity? Bambino looks to be about 20 STR. Besides, if someone's going to portray a minority character in the postbellum Old West, he might run into a unreconstructed rebels now and then. I think 21 STR is a good start at defending himself. Now if everyone wants to have 20-25 STR, you might have a problem.

heres a great source for western era firearms stuff, along with various other western era gaming stuff and minatures... I have the Knuckleduster Firearms Shop and Cowtown Creator myself.

http://www.knuckleduster.com/

on another topic, Com-Star has published Wizards and Gunslingers, at some point I might put together a conversion from it to Hero.. but was wondering how much interest there would be in it.

http://www.comstar-games.com/csg-store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=105

What's wrong with that? (...) I think 21 STR is a good start at defending himself. Now if everyone wants to have 20-25 STR' date=' you might have a problem.[/quote']

Actually - no. I can't see a problem with that. You just have a really ROUGH band of Rough Riders at your hand. And should plan at least TWO barwls in every saloon to give them something to do! ;)

heres a great source for western era firearms stuff, along with various other western era gaming stuff and minatures... I have the Knuckleduster Firearms Shop and Cowtown Creator myself.

http://www.knuckleduster.com/

Just checked out the website. This is some cool looking stuff, which I will have to investigate further . . .

SSgt Baloo: you can add "Once Upon A Time in the West". A brilliant western and the TV series of the "Magnificent Seven", mainly because of Michael Biehn.