What to do with an extra copy of Wings of the Valkyrie?

CorPse

Re: What to do with an extra copy of Wings of the Valkyrie? [image attached]

Found a couple of copies of the very rare Wings of the Valkyrie Champs module by Rob Bell that are in fantastic shape. (See the attached image... it's in shrinkwrap, so there's a little distortion in the image.)

I'm probably going to keep a copy for myself, but what to do with the other one? I know there are many people out there that need Wings to complete their collections. I'm considering selling my "extra" on eBay, unless someone has a better idea.

For those of you that don't know, this is the infamous Nazi/time travel adventure that wasn't allowed into Canada. If I've got my Hero history right it was recalled and has subsequently become very hard to find. (If you know more about the story, feel free to post it.)

But anyway, let me know what you think.

Sell it to me :D I don't have that one yet.....

drat didn't read the whole thread....... can't get to ebay from here....sigh.....

Re: What to do with an extra copy of Wings of the Valkyrie?

I had a thought (to late now) but with the sangrail quality this product has it owuld be cool if Hero Games (Or cryptic, or whoever) would release it as a .pdf...

Just saying, I know it is for an older edition, but still would be cool for nostalgia value...

Cool, yes; but given the problems it caused Hero Games the first time it was released, I'd be surprised if they wanted to risk it again. Especially for a 20 year old product using an antique and unsupported version of the HERO System.

Besides, IME it commands high prices from collectors because it's rare, not because there's a huge demand for it that would justify the time and/or expense of transcribing a paper book to PDF. Wings is a fine adventure, but has nowhere near the "must-have classic" status of, say, Strike Force.

Cool, yes; but given the problems it caused Hero Games the first time it was released, I'd be surprised if they wanted to risk it again. Especially for a 20 year old product using an antique and unsupported version of the HERO System.

Also the writer has asked that it not be rereleased.

There were problems? I didn't know that. I'm curious, but not if it would kick over a can of worms best left undisturbed.

I think you should roll up the individual pages and smoke one copy while filming the video then put it on YouTube and send a link to the hero boards, just to see how many people cry :eg:

Cry, scream, threaten violence... sue him for destruction of rightfully purchased property. :P

Yep, I lucked out on that one (a little surprised nobody bid it up in the last seconds, honestly - it was practically at my limit.)

Congratulations! :)

Yeah, that $28.00 bid holding up surprised me too. Last one I saw for auction went for $45.00, and it was in worse condition than this.

I hope CorPse considers it worth the effort.

There were problems? I didn't know that. I'm curious' date=' but not if it would kick over a can of worms best left undisturbed.[/quote']

Here is the story - I got it strait from the mouth of the author when he was the Hero game line editor.

WARNING WARNING WARNING - SPOILERS FOR THE PLOT OF THE MODULE

NO SPOILER TAGS AS IT IS INTEGRAL TO THE PROBLEM.

Bell wanted to write a module that made Nazi's a problem. He also wanted a tough moral choice. The plot involves some supers going back in time and assisinting the Nazi party leaders at the Beer Hall Putsch. The PCs had to go back in time, and in order to save the timeline stop them.

However his world was a better place without Hitler.

The editors decided that many players would react "Hey a better world, and WWII never happened. GREAT!" and not fix the timeline, which would mean the GM's worlds were tossed out, which they figure would not be a good idea. So they put in a darker current timeline, in which the USA ended up fascist because there wasn't the warning of WWII.

The book hit the shelves.

The Canadian Anti-Defimation League considered it anti-Semitic. They put pressure on ICE's distributors (this was during the ICE age) who told them to pull the module and destroy all copies, or they would stop carrying all of ICE's product.

With the balance of everything vs one module, they killed Wings.

Because of the changes made over his objections (and controversy) Rob Bell (who has political aspirations) didn't want it reprinted.

With the balance of everything vs one module, they killed Wings.

Because of the changes made over his objections (and controversy) Rob Bell (who has political aspirations) didn't want it reprinted.

I guess I was overseas and completely missed the release/death of the module. I can certainly understand the how’s and why’s of the decision from the author and game company view, but it is still a shame. I am certainly glad that the major fiction book publishers are large enough to withstand kneejerk pressure. I have personally read several “alternate timeline” stories and novels that were very good.

From a purely personal point of view I think that sometimes organizations do their causes more harm than good by fanatic censorship. I forget who said it or even the exact quote, but remember a line that basically said “If you always live in the light and all discussion of the dark is forbidden, how will you recognize darkness when it appears?”.

But thanks for the more detailed explanation.

But thanks for the more detailed explanation.

I generally agree with your points. And you are welcome. :)

I can understand from one point of view that "Going back in time to save Hitler from being assassinated and thus keeping the holocaust intact" could be seen as anti-semitic, if you are really sensitive to such things.

As to the really great roleplaying moments -

My wife was playing a "What if Henry Peter Gyrich got superpowers" character. In the altered timeline, that character was in charge of the superhuman camps (turning into death camps). When the final showdown happened, she really went after the guy whose bright idea this was, and he asked " What are doing? Why are you stopping us? "

To which she responded by pointing to Himmler and growled "Why? WHY?!?! You turned me into him".

I think that is exactly the kind of soul searching the the author was originally trying with that plot.

Personally I think it is one of the better modules that came out in the ICE age. I've run it twice, and had great success with it.