PS238 Roleplaying Game

Steve Long

Here's our back-cover blurb for The PS238 RPG:

SCHOOL IS IN SESSION!

Welcome to PS238, the world’s first school for metaprodigies — children with superpowers! They have to learn how to be superheroes along with their math, history, and social studies, and PS238 is where they do that... and occasionally get into an adventure or two.

The PS238 Roleplaying Game brings you the fun and touching world of PS238 from Aaron Williams’s acclaimed comic book. Using the award-winning HERO System rules, it lets you create and play your own metaprodigy character. It’s fun for children of all ages!

The PS238 Roleplaying Game includes:

—a complete history and description of the school, and the world it’s a part of

—character sheets for the major faculty members, include Cristina Kyle, Herschel Clay, Vashti Imperia, and Principal Cranston

—character sheets for your fellow students, including Captain Clarinet, the Flea, the Emerald Gauntlet, Suzi Fusion, Tyler Marlocke, and Zodon

—a chapter on gamemastering PS238 games, with advice on adventure creation, GM-only secret information about the school and the world, and character sheets for villains and NPCs like Charles Brigman, the Praetorian Academy Centurions, and the Revenant

—a complete basic version of the HERO System rules specifically tailored for use in PS238 Roleplaying Game campaigns

So get your homework ready and make sure you put your costume in your backpack — it’s time for superpowered schoolyard adventures with The PS238 Roleplaying Game!

ISBN: 978-1-58366-109-3

SKU: DOJHERO229

Price: $31.99

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PS238 Roleplaying Game

Woot!

I am incredibly pumped. This looks fantastic.

I love how the blurb takes a shot across the bows of grammar teachers, too, by actually ending a sentence with a preposition.

(There's a funny story about the plagiarism of a mistake by a drug-addled drunkard that resulted in the rule against prepositions, but it's more funny strange than funny ha-ha, and long, too, so.. omitting it.)

Woot!

I am incredibly pumped. This looks fantastic.

I love how the blurb takes a shot across the bows of grammar teachers, too, by actually ending a sentence with a preposition.

(There's a funny story about the plagiarism of a mistake by a drug-addled drunkard that resulted in the rule against prepositions, but it's more funny strange than funny ha-ha, and long, too, so.. omitting it.)

There is a literary magazine that used to have (and might still have) an ongoing contest to see who can put together a useful, grammatically correct sentence that ends with the largest number of consecutive prepositions. The winner at the time it was shown to me was something like 8. :)

Chaucer ended sentences with prepositions.

Shakespeare ended sentences with prepositions.

The editors of the King James Bible ended sentences with prepositions.

Produce an example of English more prestigious than Chaucer, Shakespeare and the Bible, and then and only then will I consider recasting a sentence for no other reason than that's not how Julius Caesar would have said it.

Folx' date=' if you want to discuss grammar, please take it to NGD. ;)[/quote']

Still, you know that everyone that posted was interested enough to be in the thread in the first place.

PS238 is a "Top of the Comic Stack" purchase any week it comes out. This RPG book is the same, a marriage between two dear friends. And we finally get to see a character sheet for Revenant, hopefully Stackpoleriffic!

Well, I showed Mike the book and Revenant's character sheet at StellarCon last weekend and he seemed quite pleased with the whole package. ;) It's a pretty simple sheet, though, in keeping with the tone of the game; if I statted him out for a regular Champions book it'd probably be more detailed.

Well' date=' I showed Mike the book and Revenant's character sheet at StellarCon last weekend and he seemed quite pleased with the whole package. ;) It's a pretty simple sheet, though, in keeping with the tone of the game; if I statted him out for a regular [i']Champions[/i] book it'd probably be more detailed.

So he's not the Happy Harbinger of Justice? Drat.

Out of curiosity how much of a change are the PS238 character sheets? I can't order till I get back from travel (looks like I may be on the road next week) since I prefer to get the book rather than purchase a gift for some unknown mail thief ;). The decription implies that it is not a Hero genre/setting book but rather a full blown separate stand alone RPG with the HeroSystem providing the core structure.

I wish I could see a couple screen shots :D

Got the PDF (and book on the way when Tina gets a chance)...

First Impression: This is an excellent introduction product.

I skipped right to the Character Sheets to see how they were presented, pretty much as any other Hero Product. There is one touch that I find absolutely brilliant - there are notes on how to work with, use and treat some of the Powers and Power builds.

Good treatment of Guardian Angel BTW :thumbup:

The rules section looks pretty sweet. . . I so need to get caught up on reviews. Hopefully this, Stronghold and a host of other stuff in the next two weeks.

Wait, are those two evil geniuses playing tictactoe on the moon? That's awesome.

Yup, that's Zodon and Victor von Fogg. In part the cover was created just to showcase that sight gag. ;)

I still feel sorry for Moonshadow. That kid needs a better costume.

Well, he pretty much picked it out himself -- see Issue #9. ;)

Wait, are those two evil geniuses playing tictactoe on the moon? That's awesome.

I still feel sorry for Moonshadow. That kid needs a better costume.

The moon thing is a lot harder to notice on the actual book, they wrapped the picture around to the back cover, and the moon is mostly on the spine.

So, this is Pre-teen champions? :D

When can we expect the PS238-Ravenswood Academy cross-over? This is very low powered supers, I noticed most of the students in the book didn't even spend all of their points.

I'm fiddling around with a couple of new students, Timmy and Tammy Trumble, aka The Trouble Twins.

I got this and yesterday and it is just simply a great book...one of the best books done during 5th edition. I'd never read anything PS238 prior to the book but I plan on getting everything I can on it now. A few things:

- If Sidekick is HERO system-lite then the version in PS238 is Champions-lite. In fact, reading it brought me back to when I bought Champions 3rd edition in terms of ease of play and no optional mishmash. The rules here are just note-perfect. I would say that Steve even took some ideas from across the Champions line, condensed them, and created the rules set for the book. Great job....

- The sourcebook portion is very complete...I didn't feel like I was missing anything and it really got the "feel" of ps238 across.

- A question about Revenant: there was a character named in Champions 3 (the rules supplement) Revenant that kind of has the same appearance...is that the same character?

I HIGHLY recommend this book and hope to do a full review of it for other sites shortly...

- A question about Revenant: there was a character named in Champions 3 (the rules supplement) Revenant that kind of has the same appearance...is that the same character?

Indeed they are. The character was created by Mike Stackpole as one of his PCs long ago. He used his experiences with Revenant to write some useful stuff about characterization for C3, and he later allowed Aaron to use Revenant in PS238. I think Mike helped shepherd the whole project along so he could ultimately see a copy of Revenant's character sheet (albeit one by me, not him) in print. ;)