PS238 Roleplaying Game

Steve Long

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PS238 Roleplaying Game

Somewhere I have the anthology that has a Revenant short story in it' date=' but I can't find it.[/quote']That sounds familiar. I think I have that collection, too. Of course, most of my books are packed in prep for a move this summer, so it's not like I can easily find out.

Dang, I remember it being a good story, too.

I had a chance to glance through the book over the weekend and was very impressed with how nice it looked. I also was happy to see a lot of background tidbits on the characters. On the other hand, I now can't wait for the next trade collection, as I really want to know what happens with the alien invasion!

That sounds familiar. I think I have that collection, too. Of course, most of my books are packed in prep for a move this summer, so it's not like I can easily find out.

Dang, I remember it being a good story, too.

"Peer Review"

It's in Superheroes, edited by John Varley.

• 2 weeks later...

At a local comic con today, asked a semi-F LGS if PS238 was out. He said it wasn't. When I said I had already gotten it, he still insisted it wasn't out. And I must have gotten an advanced copy.

:rolleyes:

I checked with my FLGS and he says the regional distributor is sold out of copies.

I guess that means the book's a hit. :)

I'm borrowing Susano's copy to tide me over until I can buy my own copy (yeah, I know I could order one direct, but I want to sponsor my FLGS and encourage them to carry more Hero stuff) and I noticed while reading it that Rockslide is described as having been the tactical mind of the UoJ and very good at reading combat situations, but his character sheet doesn't have either Tactics or Teamwork.

I jumped back to the Character Creation section and, sure enough, neither Skill is included. What was the rationale behind not including them, considering a recognizable part of the theme of the books is the kids learning to cooperate and work as a team? :think:

I just re-read all 5 volumes of the trades back-to-back while doing laundry and really enjoyed the story(ies). There are also some rather funny in-jokes and great character concepts.

I jumped back to the Character Creation section and, sure enough, neither Skill is included. What was the rationale behind not including them, considering a recognizable part of the theme of the books is the kids learning to cooperate and work as a team?

The Sidekick rules are of course deliberately simplified, and the PS238 rules are an adaptation of them. They exclude the Coordinated Attack rules, so including the Teamwork Skill would be kinda pointless. ;) Tactics was excluded from PS238 as not being worth the space in a game focused on little kids who aren't that well-trained. While it's true that they're in training, I don't think we see enough of that being applied in the comic to justify including Tactics, and in any event the vague nature of the Skill would only complicate some PS238 games I think. If you want to add either back in, you're welcome to, but they're not a part of the official version. ;)

I certainly see Moonshadow getting something akin to Tactics if a full-blown 5th Edition version of PS238. He certainly comes up with enough plans to save the day!

I also see he eventually becomes Revenant's sidekick/partner in crime fighting! Huzzah!

The Sidekick rules are of course deliberately simplified' date=' and the PS238 rules are an adaptation of them. They exclude the Coordinated Attack rules, so including the Teamwork Skill would be kinda pointless. ;) Tactics was excluded from PS238 as not being worth the space in a game focused on little kids who aren't that well-trained. While it's true that they're in training, I don't think we see enough of that being applied in the comic to justify including Tactics, and in any event the vague nature of the Skill would only complicate some PS238 games I think. If you want to add either back in, you're welcome to, but they're not a part of the official version. ;)[/quote']

Which is to say that while they are working on Tactics and Teamwork, they haven't gotten there yet. Once they have, they should be graduating up to the full Hero rules. ;)

Which is to say that while they are working on Tactics and Teamwork' date=' they haven't gotten there yet. Once they have, they should be graduating up to the full Hero rules. ;)[/quote']

I suppose, but as Susano mentioned, there are a number of times in the books where Tyler demonstrates the skill quite nicely, organizing his teammates in working together against a threat (the issue with them in the buried space station being a good example).

Eh, as Steve said, there's nothing stopping me from adding it to the skill list. It is nice that the rules look to be a true subset of the Hero System, as opposed to some variant offshoot. Definitely a plus. :thumbup:

why dont the FLGS have this book ?

There certainly are stores that do have it. If your local store doesn't they should check with their distributer, as the book has been available from distributers for a while now. If they have problems getting it from a distributer, they can get it directly from Hero.

Well, like I said, my FLGS doesn't have it in stock, and neither (according to them) does the distributor. So I'm waiting for the order to be filled.

Yeah, I could order direct, but I want to sponsor my FLGS. I'd like for them to stick around, especially since they host HeroCon. :)

Well, like I said, my FLGS doesn't have it in stock, and neither (according to them) does the distributor. So I'm waiting for the order to be filled.

Yeah, I could order direct, but I want to sponsor my FLGS. I'd like for them to stick around, especially since they host HeroCon. :)

Actually I was suggesting that if the store can't get it from their distributer they can get it directly from Hero. You get to support your FLGS, Hero gets another sale. Win/win. :D

The distributer obviously could do so themselves, but it sounds like they don't want to for whatever reason.

Distributors have decided, for whatever reason, that the Customer does not get to decide what they would like to purchase anymore.

You could play Distributors like you could play the stock market, buying Puts and Calls and speculating what new products they'll actually stock.