Tear heart out of your chest ability, ala "Temple of Doom"

Sociotard

If I were to build the ability of the Cult priest in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" to rip your heart clean out of your chest, how would I do that?

The ability looked like it had two parts. First he grabbed his target by the chest, which is either Clinging or maybe a very liberally defined form of grab. Indiana has to really struggle to break this connection.

The second part is that the priest chants and the heart slowly starts to bulge and eventually pops clean out of the chest. Now, at first I thought this was an RKA no range, but when targets break out of the bond they don't seem any worse for wear. Either you break free and you're fine or he holds on till you die.

Re: Tear heart out of your chest ability, ala "Temple of Doom"

Go with the a simple HKA, but purchase it with the Limitations 'All Or Nothing' (you'll need to look up the limmitation on that, but it's about a -1), 'Only Vs. Held Opponents' (about a -1/2), and some Extra Time (at least a full phase).

That way, he has to roll enough body to kill you outright (2d6 is enough for most NPCs with about an 8 BODY average, but I wouldn't go more than 4d6 for an average of about 14 BODY in any case) or try it again, and it gives the PC a phase or two to break free, or have a friend interfere, which seems fair.

I think you'd have to double those. 2d6 can't kill an NPC with 8 body, because actually killing him would require you to go to -8, which means you'd have to deal 16 body (assuming he was hale when you started). 2d6 deals a max of 12 body. Taking somebody to 0 just leaves them bleeding, not missing their favorite muscle.

Either this becomes a phenomenally expensive power (which doesn't matter, for villains), or maybe I say that the damage all goes away if the person breaks free first. So every phase the villain does 1d6. If he makes it to negative body first, the hero dies. If the hero breaks free first, he ignores all prior damage.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Because of the time required (from watching the movie it was not instant), I might do it as a Major Transform - even though transforms are not supposed to kill people as I recall. Depends on how many combat phases you wanted to give the victim to try and escape I suppose.

Aroooo

I'd buy it as a cumulative HKA, say a die or so, Must Be Held, etc. That way, the player has the ability to break free, but they're still taking some damage and stun. It might even stun them for a round or two. If they break free, they're still rattled a bit, maybe even taken some Body.

jak

I'd buy it as a cumulative HKA, say a die or so, Must Be Held, etc. That way, the player has the ability to break free, but they're still taking some damage and stun. It might even stun them for a round or two. If they break free, they're still rattled a bit, maybe even taken some Body.

jak

What he said :D

But I would make the Body damage all or nothing so even if they break free they are still rattled by the stun.

If you want to keep things simple: A no range rka and define the paralyze as a magically enhanced "Grab". If you didn't want to hand wave that IPE TK only to hold target of the RKA or IPE Entangle The rest is special effects. The victims that break free might have lost Body but have no visible wound or it has a Limitation that lost Body returns quickly. Maybe Indy's Combat Luck saved his bacon. :)

Another possibility is a Body Drain.

If you want to keep things simple: A no range rka and define the paralyze as a magically enhanced "Grab". If you didn't want to hand wave that IPE TK only to hold target of the RKA or IPE Entangle The rest is special effects. The victims that break free might have lost Body but have no visible wound or it has a Limitation that lost Body returns quickly. Maybe Indy's Combat Luck saved his bacon. :)

Another possibility is a Body Drain.

Well, if you'll remember, Indy had drank the Blood of Kali, so his will was already sapped, he wasn't going anywhere when Molerum(? I can't believe I remembered dude's name) grabbed him. So you probably don't need to add the TK to hold the subject, if they're drugged. Indy just got a hero's inspiration to get out of it... :D

jak

Well, if you'll remember, Indy had drank the Blood of Kali, so his will was already sapped, he wasn't going anywhere when Molerum(? I can't believe I remembered dude's name) grabbed him. So you probably don't need to add the TK to hold the subject, if they're drugged. Indy just got a hero's inspiration to get out of it... :D

jak

*shrug*

Some mentioned they wanted an effect to hold the target so I gave one. If you don't need it then it's even simpler to build.