DEMON's Inner Circle

Lord Liaden

Like many Champions fans I greatly admire the current incarnation of DEMON in DEMON: Servants Of Darkness. This version of the classic Champs "supercult" has much greater depth and diversity than previous ones, a stronger and more distinctive occult evil style, and one of the grandest villainous master plans in the history of the genre IMHO. The rank and file of DEMON provide many options for foes of PC heroes, and the ultimate leader of the organization and his principle henchmen are original and frightening fiends.

The above seems to be the majority (albeit not universal) opinion of the new DEMON. However, such negative comments as I see most frequently about it include concerns over DEMON's Inner Circle, its penultimate rank of leadership. The characters are sometimes described as "uneven" in their concepts or designs, some as being too specialized in their abilities and uses, others as unoriginal, or inappropriate to their stated role in the organization. I do believe the Inner Circle could be enhanced further, including using them apart from the rest of DEMON, and I've given some thought to how they might be developed within the context of the established Champions Universe. I've posted a few ideas from my own games to the boards piecemeal in the past, but I thought that putting them in one place would make it more likely for interested parties to find and perhaps make use of them. As always when I put up one of these idea threads, it's my hope that other people will also chime in with their own concepts and observations.

I'm not providing game stats for any of the Inner Circle members, both because that would violate Hero Games's IP, and because things like tweaks to their Powers are easily made by individual GMs according to their taste. What's below are concepts and suggested guidelines that can be added to their character sheets or backgrounds without changing anything else. In most cases they're based on what I've done in my own campaign. I'm only transcribing ideas that don't require a major departure from official Champions Universe continuity.

Most of what I'm presenting draws on information in DEMON: Servants Of Darkness, so it won't make much sense to anyone who hasn't read that book. Since most of it is "GM only" data, I'll put the rest of the post within Spoiler tags for those who don't want to spoil the book. That should be sufficient warning that anyone who posts here afterward shouldn't need to use spoilers.

The Coin Collector: The complaints I've seen about this character are primarily twofold: that his code name is uninspired and not particularly evocative; and that he's a "one trick pony," having only the abilities to read someone's desire and to bind them to his service through a contract. Of course that latter ability may grant him great noncombat influence through control of powerful people, and his slaves could include superhumans. Adding a whack of Contacts, Favors, and Followers to his character sheet would reflect this, as well as representing the resources he could use to tempt others to sign with him.

In my campaign I refer to this villain as O Colecionador, Portuguese for "the collector," specifically for a collector of objects such as coins (or souls, for that matter). To make him more versatile and formidable as a direct opponent, I also gave him a suite of black magic Powers, Focussed through his thirty pieces of silver, on the assumption that they're the actual coins given to Judas. Each Power has thirty Charges, and all the Powers are OIF. Although individual coins would be OAF, if one is taken away O Colecionador always has another ready at hand.

I also made O Colecionador the creator of the Leech, from Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks. (The mind-controlling coin mentioned in Leech's origin gave me the tie-in.) OC has learned a ritual to spread the Qliphothic taint on his soul to others, warping their bodies and minds and enslaving them to his will. In my campaign OC had made several "Leeches" to serve as his assassins, keeping them in major bodies of water around the world until needed.

The Dalang: One common concern about the Dalang is that despite his powers, his background doesn't include the expertise to operate a world-wide intelligence network such as the Bogeymen. My response was to adapt a character from previous incarnations of DEMON, the Chameleon. For those of you unfamiliar with him, the Chameleon was a world-class spy and master of disguise, who was lured to DEMON by promises of power. All he gained was the ability to mimic the powers and skills of others. For my 5E version I had him undergo the ritual to become a Demonbound Doppleganger. As with Morningstar (Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks) the effect of the ritual became permanent for unknown reasons.

When the Dalang learned of him he recruited the Chameleon to be his chief lieutenant. He's the one who set up the operations of the Bogeymen and personally checks on them, usually in disguise; as well as performing covert ops against superhumans whose Powers and appearances he can imitate. However, the Chameleon resents his limited power and secondary position, and schemes to take over the Bogeymen from the Dalang. The Chameleon has high human-level Characteristics in most areas, and a wide array of espionage-related Skills, particularly Acting, Disguise, and Mimicry; plus a large VPP only for imitating the abilities of others.

I also built on the Dalang's expertise with shadow puppets. He can fashion special puppets incorporating a small sample from the body of a specific person - blood, hair, nails, etc. When that person's shadow "attaches" itself to the puppet, the puppet takes on the exact appearance of the living person the shadow is from, and can function as that person. As long as it remains attached the shadow can exist indefinitely, and doesn't count against the maximum number that the Dalang can Summon. However, the puppet is essentially a Fragile Focus, any BODY Damage it suffers causing it to collapse into its original shadow-puppet form.

I added Mind Control to the Dalang's Powers (his write-up seems to imply that he has it). Rather than verbalizing commands, he uses his shadow puppets to act out what he wants his target to do. Being able to see the puppet's actions replaces the requirement for being able to hear and understand the command, for no change to the cost of Mind Control.

I should also mention that the Dalang's operations in India would make for a good excuse to use some of the excellent creatures in Asian Bestiary Vol. I derived from Indian mythology.

Demoiselle Nocturne: Confrontations with this villain allow for the classic comic-book scenario of heroes being forced to overcome their greatest fear or secret desire. She can also provide incentive for an adventure in the Dreamzone. Nocturne's sanctum in the Dreamzone could appear as any gothic, diabolic or fantasy imagery, or as familiar surroundings nightmarishly distorted. Her Night Terror servants could wear illusory guises appropriate to the specific setting.

If your campaign includes an asylum for the criminally insane, that would make an excellent field for Demoiselle Nocturne to "recruit" followers from, and perhaps even create new supervillains. Some of the inmates' nightmares may be intense enough to manifest in the waking world, with her help. As one extreme example of that, in my campaign the Monster (from Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks) is formed by Nocturne out of the twisted mind of her "sanctum", the child Henry Francis Krueger, giving her an enforcer of great physical power, or just a means to act out her more violent impulses. As a dream construct the Monster is essentially immortal, since Nocturne can eventually recreate him if he's "killed".

Note that DEMON: Servants Of Darkness mentions Demoiselle Nocturne's aspiration to usurp control of DEMON. I considered having her seduce the Left Hand and use his arrogance to prompt him to take over DEMON, with Nocturne pulling his strings as the true leader. Since these monsters are essentially male and female, and both spawned of Qliphothic energy, I also toyed with them having a child, with all the power of both. This "child" could come into being fully grown and aware, as its parents did, and either serve them or supplant them. It might survive the destruction of DEMON and the waning of magic by remaining in the Dreamzone, until with the return of magic in the Galactic Champions era it's able to re-enter the waking world.

Herr Doktor Pandemonium: As others have observed, Pandemonium's expertise in the sciences, albeit "weird" sciences, coexists somewhat uneasily with the pure occultism of the rest of DEMON (not unlike earlier incarnations of the organization). In my campaign I decided to use him and his Black Scientists as a bridge between the two disciplines. Herr Doktor's schemes often involve inventions incorporating both science and magic; for example, a super-tunneling vehicle empowered by bound earth elementals, or a device that taps the Shining Darkness (see The Mystic World) and projects it over a wide area to cause confusion and panic.

I also played up Pandemonium's potential as a monster maker, augmenting supernatural creatures through science. Cyborg demons, mutated lycanthropes, or recreations of mythical monsters would all be appropriate products of his experiments. The creature-customizing templates in the HERO System Bestiary would make it easy to churn out such horrors.

For those who have the Fourth Edition version of DEMON in Classic Enemies, I used the Demonspawn Mechagents from that book as the basis for Herr Doktor's Hartherzig Soldaten. The Mechagents were essentially highly skilled but normal mercenaries wearing sophisticated powered armor. My main change to their sheets was to eliminate "No Figured" from their Characteristics, and OIF from their Powers, making them full and permanent cyborgs, and bringing their point totals up to around Standard Superhero level. Their Disadvantages were also modified to reflect their Nazi ideology, and loyalty to Pandemonium (through his reprogramming their cybernetic brains).

(Someone on these forums suggested that the HS's Nazi trappings would also make an excellent cover for Herr Doktor Pandemonium's true loyalty and goals.) :thumbup:

Dyer van der Bleek: My campaign's version of this character is very different from the published one, so I have less to say about him (but see below on this thread where I discuss how I changed him); but I can offer a few suggestions for using the published version. The ghosts of Bleek House would make excellent operatives for Dyer if you allow him to send them beyond his estate. The Ghost stats in the Bestiary provide lots of options to make them serious threats to superheroes, overt or covert. I also posted a little while ago asking for suggestions regarding a particular plot seed for van der Bleek in the DEMON sourcebook, and the fine responses I received can be read here. Seeing as Dyer van der Bleek doesn't have a code name like the other Inner Circle members, I referred to him as "Lord Dire," a play on his name and a perfectly good moniker from a 4E supervillain who didn't make the transition to Fifth. ;)

Nonetheless, Dyer is only a placeholder for the real fifth Qliphothic-tainted member of the Inner Circle. DEMON: Servants Of Darkness strongly implies that the witch Chantal, from Shades Of Black, is the true fifth member. (IMO the power of the Qliphoth infecting her dagger is the most logical explanation for its supernatural qualities and the point of similarity with the origins of the other Inner Circle members.) If you use Chantal in your campaign, the Edomite would certainly recruit her if he found her. Even if the witch perished at the end of SOB, as long as her dagger still exists she could be brought back, and the Edomite would have a vested interest in doing so.

Chantal's ambition might prompt her to wholly embrace DEMON's cause. OTOH she could make an even better "fifth columnist" for the Descending Hierarchy than Dyer van der Bleek, being on good terms with the demons after centuries in Hell, and wielding far more potent sorcery than Dyer. In either case, with her own powers and formidable summoned demons at her command, she'd be a much more dangerous opponent to PC heroes.

Re: DEMON's Inner Circle

All very interesting ideas...The inner circle members are sort of a mixed bag in terms of playability because they're all very different builds.

The Coin Collector is a problem not because he's a one trick pony, but because his trick reeks of railroading. No character is going to fall for his abilities willingly, so the GM has to connive to get any use out of him(In other words, he has to arrange for a situation where Coin Collector will be effective).My personal use for him is to employ his powers on important DNPCs and NPCs, thus avoiding the problem all together.

Dalang is one I haven't found much use for off the top of my head, but his powers are formidible.

Nocturne is you basic Freddy Krueger analogue. She can be as blunt or as subtle as you choose.

The Doctor is fine...and I'm more or less of the same opinion as you as to how he'd be used. For some reason, I keep thinking of the film Reanimator when I picture this guy at work.

The "Beekster"? No real interest in him. I'd probably replace him myself with another character. Maybe a revamp of one of the old 4th Ed Inner Circle members?

Rob

The "Beekster"? No real interest in him. I'd probably replace him myself with another character. Maybe a revamp of one of the old 4th Ed Inner Circle members?

Pretty much what I did with Dyer van der Bleek, or "Lord Dire" as I called him. I gave him essentially the same origin as Damon Harrington, of the 4E Inner Circle, i.e. young scholar who pursued perilous knowledge of the Edomites, and found it at the cost of his soul. In my campaign he was practically the opposite of official Dyer. He's the only Inner Circle member who found the Black Shepherd, rather than the other way around. Aside from the Edomite he's the most knowledgeable occultist in DEMON, and grasps more of its true nature than anyone besides the Edomite. Lord Dire suspects that the Edomite is either a fool who doesn't understand what he's playing with, or else is playing a more subtle game than any in DEMON realizes.

Borrowing more elements from Damon Harrington, Lord Dire's right hand has been warped by the powerful Qliphothic energies coursing through him into the shape of a fanged maw, which can "bite" an opponent or spew negative energies for various effects. Dire replaced his right eye with the Lapis Exilis, granting him great power to summon and command demons from Hell. Eye and hand are both covered by minor illusions to appear normal when their Powers aren't in use.

I used Lord Dire as a threat to the PC heroes, as a rival of the Edomite trying to overthrow him, and eventually would have made him an ally to the PCs after he realized what the Edomite was attempting.

• 2 weeks later...

This is good story

---------------------------

purnima

Did anyone out there give a try to Wide Circles or WideCircles. They are new word of mouth advertising platform, apparently they can push massive amount of messages through social network mediums like forums,blogs,wiki's and so on. They say that they only bill for posts active for minimum of 5 days and price seems pretty affordable. I am going to give Wide Circles aka WideCircles a try since I am tired of PPC fraud.

http://widecircles.com

Very nice work on all of them.

Hmm, concerning the Collector and the Thirty Pieces of Silver, there is a very fine horror novel by Robert Weinberg out there titled The Devil's Auction that also uses a quest for the coins of Judas as the main plot point. In there, they act as superpowered magical batteries (High-level Aid to All Magical Powers with a prolonged return rate, IMHO). That could be another way to use him, though I still think he should have a set of Transforms to grant people their desires when they make a deal with him.

And I like what you've done with Herr Doktor Pandemonium. Anyone wanting some "real world" ideas for what the good doctor might be up to should read a copy of Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke's Black Sun, which has several chapters covering occult Nazi weirdness and conspiracy theories about the same.

The Dalang using Indian monsters as flunkies? Like a superpowered Brahmaparush as a bodyguard? I am so there; I just like the idea of strantge happenings in the Indian superpowered world. Hmm, if he's in charge of a espionage network, then maybe he has rakshashas replacing people?

Great ideas all, and thanks for them.

Hmm' date=' concerning the Collector and the Thirty Pieces of Silver, there is a very fine horror novel by Robert Weinberg out there titled [i']The Devil's Auction[/i] that also uses a quest for the coins of Judas as the main plot point. In there, they act as superpowered magical batteries (High-level Aid to All Magical Powers with a prolonged return rate, IMHO). That could be another way to use him, though I still think he should have a set of Transforms to grant people their desires when they make a deal with him.

The Transform suite is an interesting idea which matches the character's motif as a tempter; but IMO you'd have to be careful about what he can grant. Too much reality warping power would strain the character's concept. In practical terms you could achieve much the same thing through his vast wealth and other influential people under his control. (He should probably have a whack of Contacts, Favors, and Followers on his character sheet. Thank you for that inspiration.) :)

The Dalang using Indian monsters as flunkies? Like a superpowered Brahmaparush as a bodyguard? I am so there; I just like the idea of strantge happenings in the Indian superpowered world. Hmm' date=' if he's in charge of a espionage network, then maybe he has rakshashas replacing people?[/quote']

If you keep to the official concept of DEMON, the more intelligent demonic entities of Indian legend should be used sparingly, for the same reason as the Judeo-Christian demons: the word is out in the Mystic World that DEMON serves the Kings of Edom, and other powers of evil are now hostile to them.

OTOH there's no reason that some of the Dalang's proposed "puppet bound" shadows couldn't be from superhumans, and some of those may hang with the Dalang... ;)

• 4 months later...

Inner circle is the name given to him by the Norwegian press to a group of people related to black metal music whose aim was to eradicate Christianity in Norway and organizing bands of the genre that arose sharing an ideology and pagan Viking . Some members also were Satanic, mainly for his hatred of the Christian church.

---------------------

NICKYSAM

WideCircles