The most unbelievable trope in the superhero genre...

megaplayboy

Re: The most unbelievable trope in the superhero genre...

yeah, that "aliens aren't interested in any kind of trade trope" seems a little ridiculous to me. If we come across a lost tribe in the Amazon that makes elaborate pottery, we're going to find a way to trade for some of it, to take back to our museums. Ditto for some aliens who come into contact with our culture, our art, our music, our tv shows, movies, books, etc. Even if they didn't need oil or uranium or gold, they might be interested in sampling our food, our culture, or even some of our consumer products(clothing fabrics, for example, might be appealing to humanoid aliens, precisely because, for example, silk may not exist on their planet).

If I remember right, didn't Kurt Busiek do something similar in the Superman comic?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Six Ages universe, the Third Age of superheroes started in 9/11/01, and the world is changing because of it. The technology of 2008 is more like the technology of 2018 and there has already been a papal encyclopedia and ruling on magic, and things are just getting a touch stranger every single day...

Oh, and the technology is getting fun.

Questions:

For those who consider this trope necessary or useful, why is it so, and to what extent?

For those who have fully or partially discarded this trope, how has doing so altered society in your campaign setting?

I'll post my own answers and speculations later, but I just had this on my mind today, and wanted to get a lively discussion going.:D

The thing that really bothers me about this discussion is the fact a city can for all intents and purposes be nuked off the map, and no one seems to pick up the pieces.

"Champ CIty was nuked today. In other news, the price of doughnuts has gone up ten cents."

CES