"Absorbative" Growth

Re: "Absorbative" Growth

How could/would you stat out an ability to grow by absorbing matter in the surrounding area (like Sandman in the big semi-final battle of Spider-Man 3)?

Like most builds, I think there are multiple good ways to build this.

1. Growth Linked to a BODY to Growth Transfer - The most expensive way but you get the bonus of being able to destoy objects, such as walls that block your way, when you Grow.

2. Growth with an OIF "Object of Opportunity" - This would be my preferred way but you would only be able to Grow when in the presence of your Object of Opportunity (such as sand in the example of the Sandman).

3. Simply make it the Special Effect of your Growth - The easiest way. More expensive than having a Focus, but you can Grow anywhere.

I'll add more if I think of any.

In the case of sandman it was mostly just a special effect of growth, with maybe a limitation: Limited to amount of sand readily available.

If you want to be able to absorb anything and grow, and maybe make your powers vary depending on what you abosorbed, that's something else, generally involving tricky power frameworks.

Innnteresting....

The actual power I'm looking to build is for a swarm of nanites that can absorb available tech (or maybe just high-grade steel alloys) to grow to a bigger size. If such items/materials aren't available, it cannot grow. (I was sure there was a character from Champions with Growth like that, but cannot find one.)

I'd suggest

Transfer Body to Growth: Only vs (element/object type absorbed), reduced fade rate.

Growth: Starts at 0 until fed by Transfer

Or more simple and probably okay if taking in machine is just going to be a plot device just putting a limitation on Growth Limited to amount of (Material) in the environment and fiat it somewhat.

• 3 weeks later...

It all really depends on what you want to do with the power? If you want to damage the surrounding area I would do it as a AoE transfer BODY to Growth.

OR

If you just want a cloud of swirlling stuff call it special effect and maybe link it to a change enviroment with + PER mods.