Menton is up

yamamura

Re: Menton is up

Menton took a new, younger, stronger body with powerful latent psychic abilities after breaking away from Doctor Destroyer's organization. He used this "perfect disguise" to evade detection for some time, but after a confrontation with The Champions, he was captured, convicted of crimes against humanity and sentenced to hot sleep in Stronghold.

But while Menton's body may be imprisoned, can anything contain a mind as powerful as his?

I can only assume for now that the "younger stronger body" is the one in Stronghold and the one in the preview art is another psychic he's possessed.

Barring that explanation, I go with the consensus: Lame. Hate it.

JG

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely do not like the look changes made to Menton. Silly looking and hackneyed to boot. Menton is an A-List baddy in the CU and has a certain decadent allure; this representation conveys an entirely different (and lame) look & feel.

Anyway, what is the point of paying good money to buy someone else's IP and then deviating from it so drastically that its unrecognizable?

Just my opinion...but its a STRONG ONE.

:|

I definitely do not like the look changes made to Menton. Silly looking and hackneyed to boot. Menton is an A-List baddy in the CU and has a certain decadent allure; this representation conveys an entirely different (and lame) look & feel.

Anyway, what is the point of paying good money to buy someone else's IP and then deviating from it so drastically that its unrecognizable?

Just my opinion...but its a STRONG ONE.

:|

While not as strongly felt, I agree to a certain point. I can understand wanting to put their own tweak on things, but I would have loved to see some of the looks as we know them in the game itself. Menton, to me, should be majestic, beautifully terrifying like some fallen angel (sans wings) who shatters minds as he barely seems to acknowledge lessers who get in his way.

Throbby head boy is okay, even good on its own, but it's a step down to what they could have done... IMO.

I can only assume for now that the "younger stronger body" is the one in Stronghold and the one in the preview art is another psychic he's possessed.
The time-line seems to start just after WWII, which could put Menton's original body well into its 50s or 60s by the time the 2009 game release rolls around. Taking a younger body would make sense if the original Spanish body were that old. It wouldn't be hard to justify "younger, stronger body" at those ages, either, even if the younger body is an extra from Revenge of the Nerds.

Granted, aging well has always been a staple of comics. But that doesn't mean it always has to be that way. Let's just say, I'm willing to work with creators...to help their ideas come to life for me. ;)

Totally hate the look of all of the named characters so far!

Wasted brain boy just looks stupid. Yeah, IG i'll respect him for his powers, but I will always wonder at his lack of taste in taking a new young body.

Doctor Destroyer is ok, till you get to his bucket of a helmet. it looks like the front of a steam locomotive and not the helm of the most dangerous villain of the Champions world.

Defender: that boy doesn't LOOK like he's in powered armor. He looks like superman clone. He should be an Iron Man clone. I don't mind the open faced look, but damn make it look like he's in armor, not spandex!

I find myself hoping the storytelling is better than the artwork!

Tasha

While not as strongly felt' date=' I agree to a certain point. I can understand wanting to put their own tweak on things, but I would have loved to see some of the looks as we know them in the game itself. Menton, to me, should be majestic, beautifully terrifying like some fallen angel (sans wings) who shatters minds as he barely seems to acknowledge lessers who get in his way.[/quote']

Yeah, as opposed to the lead singer of Fishbone. :D

JG

I noticed this post from Jack Emmert on the CO discussion forum thread about Menton:

In our "backstory"' date=' Menton projects this jet setting, playboy image. This is his real self.[/quote']

I saw several posters speculating that over the course of encountering Menton in the MMO, he may start out wearing his handsome guise, but during the course of fighting him the strain makes him drop the illusion, revealing his true appearance. This sort of "revelation scene" reminds me of Steve Long's remarks about how the Champions Universe may change under Cryptic's stewardship, namely that the needs of an MMO are sometimes different from those of a PnP RPG.

This sort of "revelation scene" reminds me of Steve Long's remarks about how the Champions Universe may change under Cryptic's stewardship' date=' namely that the needs of an MMO are sometimes different from those of a PnP RPG.[/quote']

So, the MMO 'needs' bad art. Well, with Menton, (and the more I look at Defender, the more I include him) they got it!

While I'm less than excited about the new look for several characters, and would very much rather see something closer to the more familiar appearances, I'd rather adopt a "wait-and-see" approach on the whole than just level a bunch of heated criticism at Cryptic for doing what they think works best. I may disagree -- and probably we all do -- but let's at least be civil about it, eh? :)

I noticed this post from Jack Emmert on the CO discussion forum thread about Menton:

I saw several posters speculating that over the course of encountering Menton in the MMO, he may start out wearing his handsome guise, but during the course of fighting him the strain makes him drop the illusion, revealing his true appearance. This sort of "revelation scene" reminds me of Steve Long's remarks about how the Champions Universe may change under Cryptic's stewardship, namely that the needs of an MMO are sometimes different from those of a PnP RPG.

Well, that's an interesting take, and yeah, I can somewhat sympathize with Cryptic. It is their property now, they want to put their own touches on it

on it as creators, both for game reasons, and because that's part of the fun for them.

Doesn't mean I still don't have my preferences and won't carp (It's why the Internet was built, right? :)) but in the end, I'll probably end up mixing parts of the 4th, 5th, and Cryptic/6th Edition CUs for my pen and paper games anyway so it won't matter.

While I'm less than excited about the new look for several characters' date=' and would very much rather see something closer to the more familiar appearances, I'd rather adopt a "wait-and-see" approach on the whole than just level a bunch of heated criticism at Cryptic for doing what they think works best. I may disagree -- and probably we all do -- but let's at least be civil about it, eh? :)[/quote']

I think the "art" as a whole is good (on the graphics level) but I still have a right to criticize. Actually I think the Defender and Destroyer models weren't bad.

JG

I like Defender' date=' except I keep thinking that exposed chin is a bit of a risk for a powered armored type, other than that, like the color pattern.[/quote']

I can live with the color pattern. its the Mask and ChinShield that hurt the effect for me.

While I'm less than excited about the new look for several characters' date=' and would very much rather see something closer to the more familiar appearances, I'd rather adopt a "wait-and-see" approach on the whole than just level a bunch of heated criticism at Cryptic for doing what they think works best. I may disagree -- and probably we all do -- but let's at least be civil about it, eh? :)[/quote']

Menton's concept art is lame. I hate it. I say that frankly and civilly. Its my honest opinion.

I like Defender' date=' except I keep thinking that exposed chin is a bit of a risk for a powered armored type, other than that, like the color pattern.[/quote']

{shrugs} Doesn't matter; Champions uses generalized damage.

(thats a joke kids)

For myself I am taking all the artwork with a grain of salt. I realize that as far as comic book art I am an old fogy and most of the "new stuff" is c$%# in my opinion. With that in mind I see the new art for the MMO as staying within the style that is popular with that market these days. It may not be my idea of great, but all of the PC/Console gamers I have talked to that have seen them say they are great. So if the MMO takes off and succeeds big it is all to the good.

[/babble]