Menton is up

yamamura

Re: Menton is up

If Foxbat doesn't look like what he's supposed to look like, I will completely wash my hands of the whole thing and delete the links and forget it ever happened.

Hate to break it to ya, bud, but considering that Marvel has already shown its litigious self to Cryptic before, I'm willing to bet hard cash they'll change Foxbat's look, as to avoid any Wolverine comparisons. :(

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to break it to ya' date=' bud, but considering that Marvel has already shown its litigious self to Cryptic before, I'm willing to bet hard cash they'll change Foxbat's look, as to avoid any Wolverine comparisons. :([/quote']

"I needed a symbol. And then this big fox broke through my window..."

Well folks, don't worry. If you dont like their art-print out a current design you lie, cut out, paste over a product you buy.

I've had many mixed reactions to 5e art as well; their are characters out there whose art I hate..but I loive the character, and in my description 9or hero-machined equivalent) they look better.

How can Foxbat be ever compared to Wolverine? The only thing they have in common is ears on their costumes - they don't have the same colours, personalities, powers or names.

Now I'm tempted to pay an artist to draw Wolverine with a ping-pong gun.

How can Foxbat be ever compared to Wolverine? The only thing they have in common is ears on their costumes - they don't have the same colours, personalities, powers or names.

Now I'm tempted to pay an artist to draw Wolverine with a ping-pong gun.

The same argument could be applied to the comparison between Captain America and Statesman (the only thing in common was the white star on their chest), but that didn't stop Marvel... :doi:

Oy, I probably just opened a can of worms. Apologies in advance. :(

The same argument could be applied to the comparison between Captain America and Statesman (the only thing in common was the white star on their chest), but that didn't stop Marvel... :doi:

No apologies necessary, that can was going to be opened eventually whether it was you holding the can opener or not.

No apologies necessary' date=' that can was going to be opened eventually whether it was you holding the can opener or not.[/quote']

Yes, but now we have someone to blame :sneaky:

"Say, don't we want to look at the background for the original character?"

"Who cares? We own the IP now, change the background to fit the art."

To be fair, the background synopses for the characters that Cryptic has posted to date have hewed closely to their Fifth Edition histories, even more so than many of Steve Long's updates to the Fourth Edition supers. Menton, for example, has the same history except for the "changing bodies" schtick, which may be a plot point based on getting him out of Stronghold (and his incarceration is also part of current 5E continuity). Most of the new developments are the sort that a new writer might make when taking over a character -- respectful of precedent, but trying to build on it.

If there is a disconnect, I agree with Spence that it's the artwork not really looking "super." It has more of a fantasy vibe with darkness and grotesqueness, and swords. Defender is a notable exception, IMO he looks very four-color superhero. I do think his suit looks like some sort of high-tech armor, with its glowing circuit-like lines and smoothing over his body's musculature.

If there is a disconnect, I agree with Spence that it's the artwork not really looking "super." It has more of a fantasy vibe with darkness and grotesqueness, and swords. Defender is a notable exception, IMO he looks very four-color superhero. I do think his suit looks like some sort of high-tech armor, with its glowing circuit-like lines and smoothing over his body's musculature.

You put it better than I did. But like you I am still in the "wait and see" mode. They have only shown four (?, I can't get to the site from here) character designs so far. And while Stronghold looks more like a Hudson City/Dark Champions design than a Millennium City/Champions design, it is still early and there is a lot of time for them to find the groove as far as the artwork.

I can handle Strongholds look. Yes, it is a superprison..but its a 2 decade old superprison. I can easily see celsl where obvious power-dampnening equipment isn't needed looking pretty run down by now.

Before the redid the Leavenworth Disciplinary Barracks (translation: military prison) the old ones made the Stronghold art look downright cheerful, warm, modern and accomodatting.

I can handle Strongholds look. Yes, it is a superprison..but its a 2 decade old superprison. I can easily see celsl where obvious power-dampnening equipment isn't needed looking pretty run down by now.

Before the redid the Leavenworth Disciplinary Barracks (translation: military prison) the old ones made the Stronghold art look downright cheerful, warm, modern and accomodatting.

I used to work there (USDB). Not a cheery place at all.

I used to work there (USDB). Not a cheery place at all.

Given how expensive Stronghold would be, I cant magine a lot of money being spent on keeping it cheerful and bright looking--in any budget cut, the lion share of funds would go to keeping the power-supressing tech going above all else.

I'm betting a hot sleep area would look very high techish..maybe with a lot o dust on the prisoner.

Given how expensive Stronghold would be' date=' I cant magine a lot of money being spent on keeping it cheerful and bright looking--in any budget cut, the lion share of funds would go to keeping the power-supressing tech going above all else.[/quote']At the risk of going all political, I would rather hope it wouldn't be cheerful. I just have this vision of the USDB, wherein the old diesel generators were replaced with a nuclear generator in order to power the Hot Sleep chambers.

I'm not sure how the Hot Sleep chambers are supposed to work, but I get this image of isolation cells stocked with some sort of Aliens-esque sleep chamber plus the equipment to monitor the inmate's condition. My only question is what happens if a prisoner's vitals drop into some emergency range. Do the guards risk bringing him out of Hot Sleep or do they risk imminent death. That is a topic for another thread though. :)

• 4 weeks later...