Must use villains

Dead guy on tab

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Must use villains

That was 4e Dark Champions? I thought that was some other book. Didn't he become Crusade and have a major meltdown?

It was one of the villian books for 4E DC. I don't remember the title of the top of my head. The book was presented as Crusader's rogues gallery through the lens of his lover who didn't discover he was Crusader until he stumbled into her apartment and [seemingly] died. The end of the book contained an optional scenario surrounding Crusade, who was his drug-enhanced but now psychotic disciple who [seemingly] killed him. I keep saying "seemingly" because, as I remember it, its not super-clear that he died. That's the tone-implication, but my impression was you could interperet it so that he could be permenantly out of action, comatose, or believed dead. The last chapter of the book was a scenario surrounding Crusade after the event mentioned in the opening chapter (where the new write up for Crusader is presented). There was also a psionic armor in the book that was motivated by revenge, and one plot seed the book included was that Crusader's lover might don the suit and go after Crusade herself, which would be a cool scenario if you had her as an NPC and Crusader came back and got into the middle of it. The crusader write-up in that book changed the way I perceive character design and how I tend to set power levels in my games. It also presented information with more of a narrative bent and inspired me to change the way I organized and ran games. Its not astounding from a state-of-the-art perspective, but for its time and place it was an innovative book. I wish I still had a copy - or at least had a scan of the crusader write-up from it.

In fact, if someone wants to make Vondy really happy they will scan that write up and mail me!

Will Rep for out of print villian scans that don't hurt DOJ's profit margins....

The Dark Champions version of Crusader who appeared in one of the 4E Dark Champions villian books is a must have. :straight:

The BBB version - not so much.

I liked both ... but then, I had modified my version to become an analog to Daredevil in my 4th ed CU :) When I was done, he didn't quite look the same :D

It was one of the villian books for 4E DC. I don't remember the title of the top of my head.

Underworld Enemies by Chris Avalone is the one your thinking of. Fantastic book. Still use updated versions of the Siettas, Hanged man and Gunmetal silk. Sadly I don't have the book anymore.

There's a 2nd hand copy on EBAY at the moment, fairly cheap, if you're interested Von D man. Postage to your location might be a bit excessive though.

I go very old school:

Bulldozer as a throwaway fight

Grond rampaging through the city

Prof. Muerte and his group as they are a more reasonably powered group that a PC group can actually fight.

Genocide A good hate group that can cause the PCs some angst when they go after super villains as well.

Viper who doesn't love Viper, except GIJoe

Eurostar If I have a European adventure of any sort

Sorry, I never have nor will I ever use Dr Destroyer. Just too much like using Deities and Demigods in D&D for "monsters" to fight your 10th level party. Lame!

I would also say Primus and Until on the good guys side.

You know ... this makes me wonder ... I know there are some on the boards who don't want to see updates on the old stuff ... but how many would actually be interested in a book with the old characters?

You know ... this makes me wonder ... I know there are some on the boards who don't want to see updates on the old stuff ... but how many would actually be interested in a book with the old characters?

It depends which characters.

I would like to see a "Best of Dark Champions 4E" book.

And some of the characters from The Mutant File and High Tech Enemies were interesting.

And a Mind Titan update would be cool.

European Enemies, not so much... :D

Viper

Mechanon

Dr. Destroyer

Demon

Ultimates

Bulldozer

The Dozer is just fun to role play. Every game needs comic relief, right?

It's a must to have a good villainous organization or 2. Destroyer is the premiere villain I like to use him sparsely, to keep his appearance more epic.

No love for Utility?

I like to use him as more of a 'mastermind' or behind-the-scenes planner than an in-your-face villain; kind of like what DC's done with The Calculator. I do like him, though I wish his name wasn't so easy to make fun of as 'Futility'.

The Dozer is just fun to role play. Every game needs comic relief' date=' right?[/quote']

Dozer is another good one to recieve a massive power boost of some sort after he's been slapped around a few times, so the PCs take him for granted then he unloads with some crazy 20d6 Double Knockback punch and the PCs suddenly realize they have a REAL fight on their hands ... or, say, if Bulldozer were to be given the Hammer of Thor, that'd be another fun bit. :)

I'd love to see a book that had the best of all the old villains. Especially since I lost most of my old villain books from various moves. Updated versions wouldn't bother me either.