Ironclad is up

Tribal

Re: Ironclad is up

IMHO this one captures the essence of Ironclad, and aside from the armor reminds me strongly of his 5E illos, except that he looks even more powerful.

I do seem to notice a fondness for swords among the Cryptic design team, including Defender's energy blades. Perhaps that's such a common MMO trope that it simply begs to be included; but the explanation given in the CO background text for Ironclad makes sense.

Guest steamteck

He looks like a pretty cool......villain! I preferred Obsidian also but water under the bridge. I don't like all the swords myself more fantasy than superhero to me.

I think I'll wait for Sapphire's appearance before I decide that the looks is insufficiently superheroic.

For this one, I'm kind of with Teflon Billy -- the knobby forehead on Dorvalans tends to be kind of distracting, though he probably still has them (one of the Devs has said that those are his favorite feature on them, so they're probably just being covered up by the helmet).

I do seem to notice a fondness for swords among the Cryptic design team, including Defender's energy blades. Perhaps that's such a common MMO trope that it simply begs to be included; but the explanation given in the CO background text for Ironclad makes sense.

I admit it, that was my first thought... "What is it with all the freaking swords?" as I looked at the picture.

The story is similar enough that the background excuses the sword, but at this point, I'm REALLY thinking swords are over done. They need to consciously avoid that in the future IMO.

No slippers, that's good. :)

I like it in general, except that he looks evil. All he needs is a goatee to complete the evil twin mirror image ;)

If they were really going to run w/ the Gladiator shtick though instead of a sword I would have preferred to see a net vs a flamberge. Wavy-bladed swords just say "bad guy" to me, and the net is a more superhero gladiatorial implement than a big honking stabby slashy thing. Besides, a flamberge is unwieldy anyway -- just a for-show weapon.

I'm thinking that my opinion of the concept art, as a whole, is just not to my liking at all.

Regardless of the "in name only" associations with the CU characters of old, the art is just cliche or severely lacking IMHO.

Let's see: they took the names and backgrounds and for the most part, change the pictures so they look so different from the original that unless we had been told who it was, we'd be guessing.

If we'd had the pictures without them telling us who it was...

Dr. Destroyer would be thought to be a Dr Fate rip-off...

Menton would be thought to be a Marvel Leader type or some other similar big-brained weirdo...

Ironclad might be thought a villain...

I'm not impressed or overjoyed.

While I respect the opinions of those who favor past examples of art for these characters over the current ones, let's keep in mind that the 5E artwork for these characters hasn't been free of criticism or controversy either. We shouldn't give the impression that we all think "old = good" for these characters.

For example, 5E Dr. Destroyer looks radically different from his earlier depictions (like on the cover of 4E Champions), and that change was far from universally welcomed either. Ironclad's brow ridges, kilt and "ruby slippers" drew a lot criticism when he first came out. Menton's "GQ leisure suit" look wasn't all the rage with people who preferred a more "super" style, like the robes he wore in his 4E depiction. Then there are the common critiques for Takofanes (scrawny skeleton in a kilt who looks more fantasy than supers) or Teleios (bland blonde guy in a lab coat). And who can forget the reams of snickers over "Nightduck"? :rolleyes:

I expect that we'll all eventually come to accept the new look of these characters, even if we would prefer something different in some cases.

While I respect the opinions of those who favor past examples of art for these characters over the current ones, let's keep in mind that the 5E artwork for these characters hasn't been free of criticism or controversy either. We shouldn't give the impression that we all think "old = good" for these characters.

For example, 5E Dr. Destroyer looks radically different from his earlier depictions (like on the cover of 4E Champions), and that change was far from universally welcomed either. Ironclad's brow ridges, kilt and "ruby slippers" drew a lot criticism when he first came out. Menton's "GQ leisure suit" look wasn't all the rage with people who preferred a more "super" style, like the robes he wore in his 4E depiction. Then there are the common critiques for Takofanes (scrawny skeleton in a kilt who looks more fantasy than supers) or Teleios (bland blonde guy in a lab coat). And who can forget the reams of snickers over "Nightduck"? :rolleyes:

I expect that we'll all eventually come to accept the new look of these characters, even if we would prefer something different in some cases.

Yeah, except that I don't like the art itself, irregardless of who the characters are supposed to be. As a Fantasy Hero player nearly exclusively I have little to no dedication to teh old art.

hehe

This art is just the big suck in my opinion.

Its also possible that some of us aren't rejecting the art and "creative license" being taken because its new and different but rather because we just don't like it.

Rejecting the opinions of such people out of hand as mere change-aversion is as invalid as rejecting all change

Its also possible that some of us aren't rejecting the art and "creative license" being taken because its new and different but rather because we just don't like it.

Rejecting the opinions of such people out of hand as mere change-aversion is as invalid as rejecting all change

Yeah, disliking this art has nothing to do with hating change. I don't mind change when its good change.

But so far its Dr D is tolerable, Defender, pok, could be better, Menton = blech, and Ironclads art is ok, but it should be Gladiator Ironclad, not Superhero ironclad. If Ironclad actually carries around a sword in the game..well, thats just going to be pure video game suckiness polluting the IP.