Ironclad is up

Tribal

Re: Ironclad is up

While I respect the opinions of those who favor past examples of art for these characters over the current ones, let's keep in mind that the 5E artwork for these characters hasn't been free of criticism or controversy either. We shouldn't give the impression that we all think "old = good" for these characters.

For example, 5E Dr. Destroyer looks radically different from his earlier depictions (like on the cover of 4E Champions), and that change was far from universally welcomed either. Ironclad's brow ridges, kilt and "ruby slippers" drew a lot criticism when he first came out. Menton's "GQ leisure suit" look wasn't all the rage with people who preferred a more "super" style, like the robes he wore in his 4E depiction. Then there are the common critiques for Takofanes (scrawny skeleton in a kilt who looks more fantasy than supers) or Teleios (bland blonde guy in a lab coat). And who can forget the reams of snickers over "Nightduck"? :rolleyes:

As one of the few who defended Nighthawk's look, I smugly consider myself above that anyway. Ironclad also got drawn in sandals (Better than the slippers by far).

Still not crazy about some of the choices Cryptic is going with, though I actually like the new Defender look , even if I think a full face helmet would be a more practical call.

I expect that we'll all eventually come to accept the new look of these characters, even if we would prefer something different in some cases.

Probably. I AM Pleased at most of the backstories I'm reading so far.

Concept Art wise, well, I am curious what they'll do with Witchcraft. Sapphire too, but I figure she'll be easier to accept period as she's the sort who seems to vary her costume a lot anyway.

C'mon, dudes..."concept art" is like a "concept car" at a show - its just for show...none of the spiffy gadgets inside actually work (yet) and the thing probably doesn't even have an engine...it just sits there and looks good (or not).

All of this concept art is subject to change at a moment's notice. Most likely none of this stuff will end up looking much like the in-game version when all is said and done.

But thats why they're asking for opinions, right? Because our opinions matter to them, right? So if we say "the sword sucks" now, they'll actually drop it from the concept? And do a "concept art version 2" without the sword? That'd be nice...

So far, whoever is doing this concept art doesn't look like they've ever seen the original versions of the character art. Looks like someone just told the artist "OK, draw up this..." and they go to it. Which is why we got a resulting "WTF" version of Menton, Dr. Destroyer looks pretty un-Destroyer-like (and odd), Defender looks like Statesman (woops!) and Ironclad looks like a "generic super-strong guy with metal skin".

But hold the phone a second. Do the CO people actually have the rights to the original Champions artwork, in addition to the source material? Because if they don't, it explains everything above. And if they do? Someone's asleep at the wheel.

As for Ironclad himself...generic super-strong guy with metal skin. *shrug* And the sword is unnecessary on a character who originally had a Code Against Killing...unless they changed that too.

C'mon' date=' dudes..."concept art" is like a "concept car" at a show - its just for show...none of the spiffy gadgets inside actually [i']work[/i] (yet) and the thing probably doesn't even have an engine...it just sits there and looks good (or not).

All of this concept art is subject to change at a moment's notice. Most likely none of this stuff will end up looking much like the in-game version when all is said and done.

How long until the release of the game? If it is less than a year, then this concept art should have been approved already and we're only just now getting a peak at it.

But thats why they're asking for opinions, right? Because our opinions matter to them, right? So if we say "the sword sucks" now, they'll actually drop it from the concept? And do a "concept art version 2" without the sword? That'd be nice...

Having been on both sides of the video game industry, I can tell you right now, this is never the case. Can you imagine leaving your corporate decisions up to a bunch of raving lunatics that can't agree on anything? :ugly:

Having been on both sides of the video game industry' date=' I can tell you right now, this is never the case. Can you imagine leaving your corporate decisions up to a bunch of raving lunatics that can't agree on anything? :ugly:[/quote']

Oh, so they really don't give a rip what we think.

Grreeeeat. I feel so much better now...:nonp:

Seeker without Bullet Holes?... ROFLOL!

I am with the :thumbdown crowd too. They really need to look closer at their own character write ups and descriptions too.

Doctor Destroyer looks more like a skinny SAS Kreuzritter.

Defender is not wearing Battle Armour, but a Battle Suit and weilds a force sword.

Iron Clad looks more like a Golem from a Fantasy game than a Superhero.

IMOHO

QM