A DC Animated-style HeroMachine

Theron

Re: A DC Animated-style HeroMachine

Has anyone used Poser 7 or 8? I know there used to be a 3d Comic Collective which had tons of morphs and costumes for superhero figures, but I don't think they're allowed to openly post all that stuff anymore...

I think also you can import poser figs into a 2d app like Manga Studio and generate some fairly impressive character designs...

I would love to have the free time to achieve mastery of Poser' date=' like this guy--Sturkwurk used to help run the 3d comic collective and is one of the masters of this medium.[/quote']If I could do Poser like that, I wouldn't be looking for artists to draw my graphic novel on spec.

(Of course, first I'd need to have a computer powerful enough to run it....)

I would love to have the free time to achieve mastery of Poser' date=' like this guy--Sturkwurk used to help run the 3d comic collective and is one of the masters of this medium.[/quote']

I...need...more...information...about...Poser...cough...cough :eek::eek:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I...need...more...information...about...Poser...cough...cough :eek::eek:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Poser is a 3d character animation software which also happens to be really good for static character poses and pics. You can morph the existing figures which come with the program into new figs, giving them bigger muscles, a wider or narrower jawline, custom hair, etc. There's also a wide variety of 3rd party figures and textures for it, particularly from a company called daz3d, which has its own (generally considered superior) stock character figures, "Victoria" and "Michael"--they also have variations on these, including a more muscular figure for each, "Freak" and "She Freak". Poser 8 costs about 200-250 bucks, which is low-midrange price as graphics software goes(all the major high end packages run about 4 grand each). Daz3d also makes a comparable animation/figure program compatible with Poser, DAZ Studio.

I got the above figure from a site called Animotions(fka the 3d Comic Collective), which is pretty much THE place on the web to get 3d superhero stuff.

If you pick up software like this, it's also a very good idea to get some version of Photoshop, too, so you can edit the skin and clothing patterns and textures for figures.

The company that makes Poser also makes a program called Manga Studio, which is a pretty good 2d comic/manga drawing software, AIUI. Poser figs and images can be imported as 2d pics in order to apply further finishing effects, or make them look more comic-booky.

For the hardcore graphics person, you can actually create halfway decent animations, including voice synching, using the above software--Poser even has a face import function, where you can take a real face picture, with front and side profile, and apply it as a texture to a figure's face. So, if you were really good at it, you could create a Wonder Woman figure that happened to have Catherine Zeta Jones' face. ;)

Just so I'm not misunderstood, I like that Heromachine and this other program are out there. It's nice to be able to have a character image to show the GM and other players, and it also makes it easier, should one either decide to commission an artist to draw their character, or to try to translate that design to a program like Poser.

That Russkie superhero is the AWESOMESAUCE on GRANARY TOAST! :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you like that, you'll love the related site I stumbled across:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs48/i/2009/216/d/0/Olga_Yezhov_Soviet_Superwoman_by_Soviet_Superwoman.jpg&imgrefurl=http://soviet-superwoman.deviantart.com/&usg=__qLPKRXiXCUxkJjX9qhsen-ClTq4=&h=612&w=600&sz=43&hl=en&start=141&um=1&tbnid=cZnSVzbnHPaI3M:&tbnh=136&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsturkwurk%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4ADBF_enUS260US260%26sa%3DN%26start%3D126%26um%3D1

And here's a large supergroup image done by another artist, who apparently also does commission work( I think I'll just link directly to the images after this, to avoid any fair use concerns):

Lonestar-lineup02.jpg