A DC Animated-style HeroMachine

Theron

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to get hold of a copy of Games Workshop's Golden Heroes

superhero RPG. In the villains section of one of the game's two books, there was a supervillain team

called the Fraternity, whose members were all scientists who'd decided to use their abilities to aquire

great power and wealth. The members of this team were:

Fanatic, a scientist who had developed a drug that would increase a human being's strength to its maximum

(non-superhuman) limit. When he took the drug himself, an unfortunate side-effect caused him to be locked

into a permanent berserker rage (permanent at least until a means can be found to undo the berserker rage

and restore his intellect).

Fleetfoot: a collaborator with Fanatic in the development of the physical enhancement drug, the scientist

who would later become Fleetfoot carried out additional research into the drug, eventually coming up with

a version that would grant the user superhuman speed, but without causing the same kind of mental difficulties

that Fanatic suffers from.

Fistfighter: a brilliant cyberneticist, he designed and built a cybernetic implant, into which were programmed

the combined memories and skills of two professional athletes -- a boxer and a gymnast -- who had been kid-

napped for that purpose by Fleetfoot. Once the implant was programmed, Fistfighter underwent surgery to

have the implant connected to his brain.

Firebrand: believed to possess a mutant power of enhanced genius where extremely complicated feats of

mechanical engineering are concerned, this arrogant and crude man developed two methods for giving a

human being superhuman abilities -- which he used upon himself. The first of these was an implanted anti-

gravity device which enabled him to fly, while the second was an energy-absorption process which gave

him the power to project blasts of concentrated flame at his opponents; the process had the side-effect of

giving him superhuman strength as well.

Freebird: a brilliant scientist in her own right, Freebird worked together with Firebrand to create the anti-

gravity device which enables her to fly. While she believes that the group can achieve its objectives in a

non-violent way, she's far from being a shrinking violet; if attacked and struck in combat, Freebird will do

whatever is needed to humiliate her attacker.

A while ago, I wondered what the Fraternity might be like if it had a few more members -- say, two more

female members. With that in mind, I added two additional members to the roster:

Frenzy: this Oriental cyberneticist who suffered from epilepsy was attempting to find a means of at least

controlling her problem, and had designed an implant that -- in theory -- would detect and prevent the

seizures that she experienced from time to time. When the implant was complete, she underwent surgery

to have it connected to her brain. The surgery was not only a success, but also had an unexpected side

effect, in that the implant "activated" a latent psionic ability within her -- an ability which enabled her to

induce temporary epilepsy in others, either singly or in groups.

Forcewave: this Indian-born physicist gained her force-projection powers when an experimental anti-

earthquake device malfunctioned and exploded, bathing her in its unique energies. Once she'd gotten

out of the hospital, she soon discovered that the device had somehow given her the power to create

either "beams" of concentrated force, or a 360-degree field around herself that had an effect not unlike

an earthquake.

Now without further ado, here are the pics of the Fraternity in the order in which they've been presented:

post-10891-0-91141700-1471072937_thumb.jpgpost-10891-0-78742700-1471073064_thumb.jpgpost-10891-0-68070800-1471073088_thumb.jpgpost-10891-0-04303800-1471073113_thumb.jpgpost-10891-0-31104900-1471073159_thumb.jpgpost-10891-0-44571500-1471073177_thumb.jpgpost-10891-0-93683500-1471073195_thumb.jpg

The uniforms that they're shown wearing aren't the original design which was in the book; as I didn't have the

means to replicate the original design exactly, I decided to do what superbeings in the comics have done over

the years -- gave them a new design for their outfits.

At least these guys aren't going to pull a Janet van Dyne-Pym and change their suits every few months or so... :sneaky:

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Major Tom: I googled to find out more about the Fraternity, and found this blog. It shows HEROClix conversions of the Fraternity. He also colored the char illustrations from the book.

Thought you might like to take a look.

http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.com/2016/07/vampifans-superheroes-and-supervillains_3.html

Major Tom: I googled to find out more about the Fraternity, and found this blog. It shows HEROClix conversions of the Fraternity. He also colored the char illustrations from the book.

Thought you might like to take a look.

http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.com/2016/07/vampifans-superheroes-and-supervillains_3.html

Very nice work... and your additions as well Major Tom!

Thanks; I'd been planning to do a FdH2011 version of the Fraternity for some time now, but couldn't find the original

paper pics (which, like the versions shown here, had the black-yellow-red color scheme).

I also took a look at the website in the link; now I'm trying to figure out where the guy who did it got the idea that

Fanatic was an 8-foot-plus tall raging lunatic. Nowhere in the writeup for the character that I've got in front of me

says anything about him having Growth as a power :confused:

Oh, well...

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

werner_zpscgamna22.png

Doktor Werner Von Luckel

Director of Projekt Oase. This image of Werner is from about 1945 when the discredited psychiatrist, a contemporary of Joseph Mengele fled Germany at the end of World War II. He was presumed dead by the Allied Forces. How they were mistaken.