So, what don't you like about HERO 5th?

Mencelus

Re: So, what don't you like about HERO 5th?

I don't like that AFAIK there is no straightforward way to build a focus that has backup (i.e., redundant, not useable simultaneously) systems.

I think this is the primary reason for the existence of the equipment doubling rules. If a GM doesn't want to allow simultaneous use it's his call. In the case of the OIF Battlesuit it's moot anyway. You can wear only one (at a time). This particular rule is there to allow desirable concepts, not to limit the abusive ones. The GM has to take a stand when using it.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's way too easy IMO to take out the OIF: Battlesuit with just a couple points of damage because of the rules that a framework is considered a single power for power destruction.

That sounds like a beef with the framework, not the focus (OIF) rules.

The usual sfx of a battlesuit means that any damage (BODY) that penetrates its primary defenses should be taking out systems. Iron Man's suit is essentially just a man sized tank. Tanks don't respond well to shells that penetrate their armor. It's the primary way to disable them in fact.

I think this is the primary reason for the existence of the equipment doubling rules. If a GM doesn't want to allow simultaneous use it's his call. In the case of the OIF Battlesuit it's moot anyway. You can wear only one (at a time). This particular rule is there to allow desirable concepts' date=' not to limit the abusive ones. The GM has to take a stand when using it.[/quote']

So... I can use the +5 points to "double", backup copy of, say, the "Weapons Systems Multipower" that is in the Battlesuit? I'm not sure how legal that use is, or how acceptable a potential GM would find it.

Just define the focus as unbreakable and define the time aspect as sfx.

Done.

Yeah, that would be the simple way to do it. But you know me -- simple is not something I do easily. :D Also, I've had GMs disallow "Unbreakable" flat-out for any foci -- "Everything is breakable with sufficient force".

That sounds like a beef with the framework' date=' not the focus (OIF) rules.[/quote']

Well, a beef with the interaction of the two -- frameworks in foci.

The usual sfx of a battlesuit means that any damage (BODY) that penetrates its primary defenses should be taking out systems.

Well, IMO not necessarily. Look at cars and airplanes. You might shoot a hole in it, and yet fail to damage any of its "systems".

Iron Man's suit is essentially just a man sized tank. Tanks don't respond well to shells that penetrate their armor. It's the primary way to disable them in fact.

It didn't seem to disable the Mark III suit in the movie one bit. And he got shot by quite a bit of heavy ordinance (a tank's main gun, and the F-22's M61A2 Vulcan 20mm rotary cannon).

Pepper: "Are those bullet holes?!"

The worst it did was make it a little difficult to take off the suit. Though one might argue that no BODY damage actually penetrated since Tony didn't get wounded. If so, what's up with the bullet holes?

So... I can use the +5 points to "double"' date=' backup copy of, say, the "Weapons Systems Multipower" that is in the Battlesuit? I'm not sure how legal that use is, or how acceptable a potential GM would find it.[/quote']

Seems far more acceptable than "I have 8 weapon systems for +20 points - I'll fire them all at once" to me.

Well' date=' IMO not [i']necessarily[/i]. Look at cars and airplanes. You might shoot a hole in it, and yet fail to damage any of its "systems".

The hole is SFX - if you damaged no systems, you did no BOD.

Pepper: "Are those bullet holes?!"

The worst it did was make it a little difficult to take off the suit. Though one might argue that no BODY damage actually penetrated since Tony didn't get wounded. If so, what's up with the bullet holes?

Much like having a bruise after combat - SFX with no mechanical impact.