Pulpy Art

Storn

A bit of a change of pace from the usual elves, wizards and superheroes... This is Dorothy (from Oz), but the client requested that she was older and that she have silver boots from the books...not ruby from the movies.

I had fun with this one.

While it is Dorothy, I think it could work for various Pulp heroines. The outfit is from the client and it said circa 1917. Just so ya know...

Dorothy72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5

• 5 months later...

Re: Pulpy Art

Are you in the mood for some Pulp Adventure? I've done a several interiors for:

Max Davies, aka the Rook, wages relentless war against diabolical foes to save the innocent from obliteration! Aided by his beautiful wife Evelyn, police chief Will McKenzie and the Russian superman, Leonid Kaslov, the vision-haunted vigilante battles vampires, zombies, Asian super-villains and demon worshiping cults!

http://www.barryreese.net

I believe it is for volume 3. I've read vol. 1 and it is pretty rollicking good fun!

Here is a taste of the art I've done. The first Rook (there are other generations that I illustrated) and an undead pirate foe.

Rookinterior100.jpg

UPirate100.jpg

(not creative common images)

Are you in the mood for some Pulp Adventure? I've done a several interiors for:

I believe it is for volume 3. I've read vol. 1 and it is pretty rollicking good fun!

Here is a taste of the art I've done. The first Rook (there are other generations that I illustrated) and an undead pirate foe.

Rookinterior100.jpg

UPirate100.jpg

(not creative common images)

as i mentioned in another thread this rook dude sounds interesting

Not strictly art, but this came up on my radar a few days back. TNA Wrestling's Bound For Glory PPV was in Chicago this year, so all their ads were gangster-themed, shot on the sets/attractions at Universal Orlando (an occasional employer/stomping ground of mine). TNA photog Lee South uploaded his stills to his Flickr stream, and pulp GMs may find them useful...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leesouthphotography/sets/72157606244483639/

3005022944_b180c3f1ef.jpg

Beautiful pieces Storn. I expect nothing less.

Are you still doing art for a fantasy webcomic? I lost the link.

Afraid not. It was very time consuming, I was making NO money on it and had a falling out with the webguy who was taking that part of the load off my shoulders (the uploading, figuring out how to do the buttons...that kind of stuff).

• 5 months later...

I don't often do an entire team together... but lately, I got a chance to do a villain team. The upcoming characters are all heroes of a Golden Age superhero team. Not only do I get to do them as their individual character shots... I get to do them in a group shop with a very strong theme (which I will not talk about).

The single figure shots have been done for a few days, but was waiting for the patron to game with his group to show them off. That happened... now I can show them.

Sometimes, you just get in a groove. And I think I did get into a groove with this group. I'm going to show you three today. Three tomorrow.

Here they are, Raven (I think this is about the 5th guy I've drawn called the Raven. Popular moniker that!)

Raven72-1.jpg

I really liked this concept, the Crimson Palm. Just so 30s-40s pulpy comic adventurer sounding...

CrimsonPalm72.jpg

And Tarot, we worked in a few Tarot elements for this one...

Tarot72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

And here are the next three that I promised.

We've got Doc Rocket!

DocRocket72.jpg

Guardian Angel with his "divine wings"

GAngel72.jpg

And Justice

Justice72.jpg

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile since I've posted anything. Been really busy with finishing up a ton of fantasy artwork for the upcoming Hero 6th ed. I got the fantasy section, so I was pretty damn stoked.

Starting to work on some painting for Warlord, the CCG, won't be able to show those until they get published. In the meantime, I'm starting to tackle the huge list of commissions I need to get to. Here is a famous moment in an alternate history of WWII with the inclusion of golden age superheroes. You might recognize these guys. They are earlier in the thread when I did each one as a separate pic.

Folks who've been waiting for theirs... I'm getting to them.

PulpJima72.jpg

I so very very very much want to play in this campaign. Heck, I'd even be the Flag if it meant I got to sit in!

It's been awhile since I've posted anything. Been really busy with finishing up a ton of fantasy artwork for the upcoming Hero 6th ed. I got the fantasy section, so I was pretty damn stoked.

Starting to work on some painting for Warlord, the CCG, won't be able to show those until they get published. In the meantime, I'm starting to tackle the huge list of commissions I need to get to. Here is a famous moment in an alternate history of WWII with the inclusion of golden age superheroes. You might recognize these guys. They are earlier in the thread when I did each one as a separate pic.

Folks who've been waiting for theirs... I'm getting to them.

PulpJima72.jpg

A bit of a change of pace from the usual elves, wizards and superheroes... This is Dorothy (from Oz), but the client requested that she was older and that she have silver boots from the books...not ruby from the movies.

I had fun with this one.

While it is Dorothy, I think it could work for various Pulp heroines. The outfit is from the client and it said circa 1917. Just so ya know...

Dorothy72.jpg

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5

Say, didn't the book describe her as wearing a blue and white checked dress?

In fact, that's why the Munchkins trusted her. White was the color of witches (including evil witches, in the book) and blue was the color of Munchkins, so they took her to be a witch friendly to Munchkins.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary of Oz

In fact, that's why the Munchkins trusted her. White was the color of witches (including evil witches, in the book) and blue was the color of Munchkins, so they took her to be a witch friendly to Munchkins.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary of Oz

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's a Mary Poppins vibe going on there as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary of Oz

That is not what the client wanted.

• 2 months later...

The next 4 pics are from our Danger Patrol game. The last two sessions, over the last 3 weeks. DP is a retro scifi rpg. And does the breathless pacing, cliffhanger action that was so indicative of yesteryears action scifi.

Here is the link to the Danger Patrol website, which is just the rules. Beta rules are the better ones and the latest ones. This is a fun game, always generates images for me to doodle at the table.

http://www.dangerpatrol.com/

First up is the "Carniforous Rex", the terrible pun given vicious life by our GM, Pete.

CarnRex.jpg

I drew Max Mercury in an early game, but I thought he was a robot... he ain't. He be a cyborg with a toothy smile. So, its a redux sketch time!

GeistMercury.jpg

The Thorn Samurai were definetly a thorn in our side 2 eps ago. Trying to sacrifice a few of members in the jungles of Venus.

Thornsamurai.jpg

Lastly, was definitely a "gal with guns" night... as both Nikita and Princess Alura had impact on the ep. I also noodled the kumite opponent for Singapore Sam, Ivan Ivanovitch, the Sultan of Sambo, the Crimson Terror. And i did a quick noodle-doodle of one of the 3 Pyramids of Mars, the runic, mystical starships that were causing so much trouble.

VarDangersk.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here was a really fun one for me. I was asked for a steampunk horse. Something I've never done before. I think it came out pretty well, but your guys are the real judges.

I'm hip deep in a full background, 3 figures, large landscape, lot of detail, commission and it will probably take another couple of days. So, the output from me is going to be slow again.

Simon72.jpg

That's fantastic! Not just the lines and all the little details but also the colors. I love those colors! Did you color this by hand or use some kind of computer program? Because the shading and blending is splendid. I really can't tell you how much I love this one. It may be my new favorite. Sorry, undead pirate.