The Worst character in comics

Adventus

Re: The Worst character in comics

Captain Britain was fantastic in the British comics. The problem is that they took the hero with problems out of the British comic where everyone was flawed and put him in American comics where everyone else was perfect. And then they turned his sister in Psylock which is even worse.

I have to say the worst character is the Hulk, the stupid violent version. Unlimited strength, stupid. The comics had to dream up inane plots so that he appeared somewhat heroic.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate Cable, Bishop, and everything that came from the X-Men after Storm got a Mohawk, I have to respectfully disagree.

The worst character in the entire history of comics was DC's first blaxploitation hero, The Black Bomber, a white racist by day, who turned into a superpowered black guy at night or in times of stress.

Thankfully, he was so awful, the powers that be at DC came to their senses and he never saw print.

Captain Britain. Bleuch!

Once more with the "British guy created by Yanks who have never been to Britain" and the only concept they can come up with is King Arthur - 'cos that's all they've ever heard of.

Captain America works because America (ie the US) is one country. Britain is four countries - England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Britain is a "metanation".

A better concept would have been "John Bull" - the English version of Uncle Sam. Okay - he's meant to be British, but people in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would see him as English. However, unlike Uncle sam, he is not a figure of authority (esp not the Authority).

Wasn't captain Britain created by Marvel UK? I know for a while he was written by alan moore...

Thankfully' date=' he was so awful, the powers that be at DC came to their senses and he never saw print.[/quote']That sentence disqualifies him from what the original poster is looking for as he declared:

And I mean a regular ongoing character. Not someone who showed up for a few issues and was never seen again.
There were lots of stupid characters that were not ongoing.

To answer the original question: Current Iron Man. Besides the whole Civil War fiasco' date=' why does there even need to be any other superheroes on the planet? The armor makes him stronger than Thor, he can create a force field that can withstand a nuke, absorb any energy shot at him, I mean he has a 10,000pt VPP, pretty much makes everyone else useless.[/quote']

Old Thor, but not New Thor. Iron Man got schooled big time by Thor in Thor #3. Granted, Thor had the advantage because it was in his own comic...but it was a really cool encounter. Thor basically called Tony to the carpet on all the horrid Civil War stuff, fried his armor, and made him walk home. Thor even warned Tony that once he took care of other matters (bringing back the lost Asgardians), he would come back and discuss things further. I cheered after nearly every panel. :)

It's hard to make a decision on this, because most of the characters mentioned have had good stories when placed in the hands of a non-hack writer. I'd go with the Punisher simply because I don't like his attitude, his powers, his origin...nothing works for me. At least Cable occasionally showed a cool power or had a decent quote. I've never liked Punisher.

Nobody remembers Flash knockoff in the Squadron Supreme, the Whizzer?

Calling yourself the Whizzer is a bad idea.

Calling yourself the Whizzer and wearing a yellow costume? is just asking for it, and IIRC the character's personality actually deserved it.

Gambit. What the hell? A Cajun mutant/assassin/thief with weird red eyes and a staff. In a D&D game you would balk at this combo. What a munchkin.

You forget that he can hypnotize people by talking to them. Don't get too bent up about that though, the writers forgot he could do it too.

Wolverine

Punisher

Cable

Fascist [iron] Man

Batgod

I'm a big batman fan, but what they've done to him is agitating. He's become some Nieitzschesque caricature of a man. He's paranoid, has alienated and driven away almost everyone who has been close to him, is obsessesed and has no life, and has this weird inhuman vibe coming off of him. He used to be a cool character, and a man. You need to be able to relate to a character on some level. Batman has become a machine with very few human qualities. He was cool up through the dark knight series and year one, but after that - whoa! - what freak-job possessed bruce wayne and turned him into a madman?

Not a major character, but majorly stupid nonetheless: Random.

Not sure if he counts as major or not, but I never could stand Guido aka Strong Guy. Everything about him was stoooopid.

However, both pale by comparison to Cable, of course. His "worstness" factor is epic.

Cable is pretty awful. An extremely violent super-powerful telekinetic who can't really use his telekinesis because of a techno-organic virus that was engineered by his own clone and he carries around big guns and has a glowing eye for no real good reason and is the child of a major character and his dead former wife who was a clone of his first love who died then came back to life but wasn't really her and then died again and really was just in a pod under the water and came back and when the clone found out she became evil and the son was taken into the future to be raised by future selves of major character and real woman #1 and then came back to fight evil.

I think that pretty much captures it.

I've repped you. But I think I still owe you huge rep. Send this to Joe Q and his minions. Ask them exactly what combination of drugs and writers psychosis allowed this to happen over the years and why anybody thought it was a good idea.

I'm gonna be repping you forever on this one post Dan.

Nobody remembers Flash knockoff in the Squadron Supreme, the Whizzer?

Calling yourself the Whizzer is a bad idea.

Calling yourself the Whizzer and wearing a yellow costume? is just asking for it, and IIRC the character's personality actually deserved it.

Now, now, don't get pissy.

Um, yeah. Whizzer. Laughed at that one a lot when I was younger. Wait, I still do now.

Posted on behalf of SkeletonMan who doesn't have his own login yet:

"The Authority- used to really like them, in some ways still do but they suffer from convoluted powers that act as a crutch for writers and their poor story lines. I was originally upset that they killed off Jenny Sparks, the best character but I'm glad she left before the new writer (Grant Morrison i think) took over and suddenly the characters are trying way too hard to be cool/edgy (a common theme with GM) and able to do wonderful things with over the top new uses for their powers.

e.g- Hawksmore and Swift, both started off in Stormwatch and went from being sort-of powerful to JLA level seemingly overnight."

(Having not read most recent stories, can't past judgment on them).

Really surprised that nobody mentioned Captain America (waits for chorus of boo/hiss, how can you hate the Cap!). Maybe it's because I'm not American but i find his character uninteresting, having stock responses to any given situation and having gone more-or-less unchanged since he started out. Look how other characters have evolved over time.

Other Boy Scout types like Cyclops/ Superman at least seem to change a little even if, in Supes case they usually get undone.

I'm not against American patriotic characters, i really like the Patriot (from Brave New World RPG- great character.)

Bishop- Where to start! Just like with Authority but worse, at one point this character had defined powers and a definite goal. He even used to have a deep respect for his fellow X-Men, legendary (emphasis on legendary) heroes from his time.

Now he seems to be able to do almost anything, suddenly he has complete knowledge of the powers and weaknesses of most of the X-Men, how he gained these insights isn't made clear since he didn't seem to have any of this information when hunting for the traitor in the X-Men's midst.

Other characters such as Longshot who have a clearly defined storyline leave when that storyline is resolved.

Separate point- Hate it when writers develop characters "off screen" in other plot lines in other comics, which is great if you follow all of them but stupid if you say, like Nightwing but don't follow every Bat comic or every DC title.

The only reason Nightwing isn't included here is because the character is still interesting even though every so often he changes city, motivation, love interest- almost always in another publication. (The destruction of Bludhaven- if you just followed Nightwing you completely lose track of whats going on.)

A lot of people seem to dislike the new Spidey plot during Civil War, but i could follow his comics without having to buy all the Civil War titles- (Iron Mar, Thunderbolts, X-Men, HFH, etc).

Let's hope that Paul Cornell can re-invigorate Capt Britain.

However, one of my points is that King Arthur wouldn't have been English. If he existed, he would have been a Romano-Celtic warlord and would have fought the people who became the English - ie: the Saxons.

It was the Romans who called these islands Britannia and, as it was at the ends of the Empire, it was considerd something of a hardship posting.

Remember, English is the language which follows other languages down darks alleys, mugs them and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary.

However, one of my points is that King Arthur wouldn't have been English. If he existed, he would have been a Romano-Celtic warlord and would have fought the people who became the English - ie: the Saxons.

It was the Romans who called these islands Britannia and, as it was at the ends of the Empire, it was considerd something of a hardship posting.

Remember, English is the language which follows other languages down darks alleys, mugs them and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary.

Repped for historical accuracy and making me laugh.

So you're okay with him flying around, and throwing tanks. A mystical trial to give him his power sits all right. King Arthur not being British is what kills the realism for you? :nonp:

Can't give rep... sorry, I'll have to owe you for that one. But come on, Cable is still the man to beat here.

The likes of Paste Pot Pete, Bouncing boy and even the various talking animals / pets are just dire because the names are weak and the stories or the powers are wierd. But Cable has it all. A name that doesn't really tie into anything he does or is about, a history that's so convoluted that it makes the history of Henry 'Hank' Pym / Ant man / Giant Man / Goliath / Yellow Jacket / The Doctor seem stable and an appearence, no matter who draws him, of high tech bondage. Gotta' go with Cable guys. You know it makes sense.