Adventus

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Worst character in comics

The original B&W TMNT was quite cool if I remember correctly. :D

It was the 80's color coded bandana versions that really blew chunks. :idjit:

Do keep in mind, the 80s cartoon version was targetted at, well, kids, and the young end of the demographic at that.

The 2003 (I believe) TMNT cartoon was targetted at a demographic more for late-teens rather than pre-teens, and was a lot more serious and a lot less slapstick. The color-coded bandanas are a necessity because, otherwise, the characters are all identical if you can't see their weapons (as in, any close-up).

I've never seen Lobo in anything serious' date=' except that episode of Justice League, I guess.[/quote']

He first appeared in the Omega Men. He was actually quite scary.

They cranked up the absurdity level later.

It's not the characters' date=' it's the writers and editors. A good writer can make *any* character interesting and entertaining while a bad writer can take the greatest character around and completely ruin them.[/quote']

There is no character separate from his writers and artists of course. But, I disagree anyway. A good writer can't make any character interesting and entertaining at least not for me. If he changes a character like Cable, or Brother Power, or Venom enough to do that, he'll have changed their basic premise enough to make effectively a new character.

We've seen Neil Gaiman make Brother Power, Glob, Brute and the 70's Sandman cool. We've seen James Robinson make the 70's Starman cool. We've seen Grant Morrison make Animal Man and Klarion the Witch Boy cool. We've seen Alan Moore, Kurt Busiek and Warren Ellis deconstruct and reconstruct heroes by the score, distilling them to their essense. A good writer can make any character work.

Except for Cable. The only way Kirkman made him palatable was to change his entire origin in Ultimate X-Men.

The original B&W TMNT was quite cool if I remember correctly. :D

Agreed. The current B&W run (vol. 4) is also very good, and a fun read. The most recent cartoon (save for its final devolution into "Fast Forward") is also quite good, and follows the comics surprisingly closely - though it's rather less bloody for the sake of the kiddies, the stories are still quite well-done with interesting character developments.

The color versions (Archie comics) and the 90's cartoons are considerably less inspiring. I've seen far worse (eg. Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandos), but I'd hesitate to call them "good".

He first appeared in the Omega Men. He was actually quite scary.

They cranked up the absurdity level later.

Yeah. He was scary in his goofy orange and purple tights. When he went absurd he was wearing the biker leathers.

No. I'm not kidding, even though this seems backwards.

I was thinking the same thing. I like his "new" look better than his original, but hate the character.

correction, hate that he's used as a protagonist. I also hate his self contained spin offs.

Like Vondy, I like Batman, hate the guy who replaced him (Bat-God).

I like Superman.

I'm not a fan of Cable, or X-Man for that matter. I HATE just about every character Leifield has stolen-er, Created...when written by Leifield. Other people can make them palletable.

I have little more than disdain for minor villains who become anti-heroes and get on superhero teams or worse yet, their own titles. (Lobo, Venom, Sabertooth, Punisher, etc)

Oh, and to the guy who said Captain America, I respectfully disagree. I read Cap for a long while, and the Avengers as well, I always felt that he (unlike, say Bat-Psycho) exhibits the best characteristics of the costumed mortal; he's abandoned his costume to keep his ideals, he's faced the realities of being an anachronism, wrestled with his conscience over killing a terrorist, trained more than a few heroes...given up his super soldier serum, etc. I'll admit he's something of a one note player, but I've never found him lacking.

If we were sticking with the 60's, I'd be forced to mention that icon of supervillain silliness, 'The Top'. How a guy like the Flash could ever have been threatened by a guy who used spinning tops as weapons still escapes me.

Meanwhile, back at nailing Cable to a tree and having him pecked to death by Spotted Owl's...

We've seen Neil Gaiman make Brother Power, Glob, Brute and the 70's Sandman cool. We've seen James Robinson make the 70's Starman cool. We've seen Grant Morrison make Animal Man and Klarion the Witch Boy cool. We've seen Alan Moore, Kurt Busiek and Warren Ellis deconstruct and reconstruct heroes by the score, distilling them to their essense. A good writer can make any character work.

Except for Cable. The only way Kirkman made him palatable was to change his entire origin in Ultimate X-Men.

Actually Neil Gaiman killed off the 70's Sandman, and turned Brute and Glob into villains.

Robinson started the trend of rewriting characters to fit what he wanted so they might as well be new characters. I liked Firearm and Leave it to Chance, but thought Starman would have been better if Robinson had not rewrote every starman story to make them fit some kind of theme.

Grant Morrison might have done well with Animal Man but he screwed the Doom Patrol.

Moore and Busiek are the best writers on this list, and as far as superheroes go, I would take Busiek as the better writer.

CES

I guess I have to jump on the "hate the writer, not the character" bandwagon here. I despise the whole let's-make-everyone-edgy-and-badass trend (is it still a "trend" after this long?), so I should hate Wolverine and Cable... but I rarely dislike Wolvy while I'm actually reading the stories he's in, and I did like what I read of the Cable & Deadpool stuff.

The let's-completely-alter-this-established-character's-personality-to-fit-my-story-arc trend infuriates me, too - why in the world wasn't every super trying to figure out which villain/alien possessed/mind controlled/impersonated Iron Man & Reed during Civil War? The ridiculously convoluted backstory stuff can be bad or okay, depending.

So I guess I'll have to put another vote for Dazzler - the disco version for being that lame, and the punk rock version for trying to do the same damn thing with a music genre I love.

No, wait - I absolutely, completely loathe everything about Mojo. Everything. But especially his omnipotence in the context of his goals - he can do pretty much anything he wants if a writer needs him to, including mass mind control, so how exactly can he lose ratings?

I've never seen Lobo in anything serious' date=' except that episode of Justice League, I guess. He's great as parody, although I can imagine any attempt at a serious Lobo story would end up as unintentional parody.[/quote']

I saw him in several Superman stories where he was presented as a serious threat to Supes, with Superman himself being scared of him.

Grant Morrison might have done well with Animal Man but he screwed the Doom Patrol.CES

Morrison's Doom patrol is what got me back into reading comics. I never liked the earlier version of DP, but loved this. But each to their own taste. My favorite era for the comics industry was when all the writers were rewriting the old silly characters. (The English invasion: Gaimen, Moore, Morrison, Ellis, Robinson, Milligan- okay he's Irish but you get the point, etc...)

I don't like 75% of comics involving super powered animals, hence my dislike of anything TMNT and of similar style. Though I was smart enough to buy the original series and then sell it later for a wack of cash...:)

I know when DC put out a collection of Lobo trades they put in a special book called the Wisdom of Lobo, which was blank inside. I know a lot of the customers were very angry at this. Personally I thought it was funny and expected as much, plus I didn't shell out the cash for the slip case special edition to get said book.

So I agree that a good writer can turn anything into something worth reading, usually, if the subject interests you, except for Lobo and Cable. (My choices)

We've seen Neil Gaiman make Brother Power' date=' Glob, Brute and the 70's Sandman cool. We've seen James Robinson make the 70's Starman cool. We've seen Grant Morrison make Animal Man and Klarion the Witch Boy cool. .[/quote']

Klarion the Witch Boy was always cool. Animal Man? Let's say I wasn't much more impressed by leather jacket over his tights Animal Man than I was by his predecessor.

My vote for worst character concept was The Blob. Even though he is a reoccuring villain instead of a hero, being fat and immovable seems, well, stupid superpowers. :thumbdown

Mags

I think his superpowers are great!:thumbup::D

My vote for worst character concept was The Blob. Even though he is a reoccuring villain instead of a hero, being fat and immovable seems, well, stupid superpowers. :thumbdown

Mags

Doesn't old Blobby also have super strength (considering his weight, he needs it!) and gravity control powers? I remember reading something about him now having the equivalent of a Double Knockback punch, anyway.

Doesn't old Blobby also have super strength (considering his weight' date=' he needs it!) and gravity control powers? I remember reading something about him now having the equivalent of a Double Knockback punch, anyway.[/quote']

Now I like him even more! :D:D:D

In his secret identity he is an actor and plays a comic shop owner in a popular ongoing comedy show centered around a certain yellow family.;)

Now I like him even more! :D:D:D

In his secret identity he is an actor and plays a comic shop owner in a popular ongoing comedy show centered around a certain yellow family.;)

Worst. Retcon. Ever.

:thumbup:

Doesn't old Blobby also have super strength (considering his weight' date=' he needs it!) and gravity control powers? I remember reading something about him now having the equivalent of a Double Knockback punch, anyway.[/quote']

He did have superstrength, though not on the level of the Hulk (though I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I've read those comics.) The gravity control thing, I belive, was an explantion for how Blob could knock people flying so far when he wasn't really strong enough to do so via brute strength (that is to say, he could knock them flying but not as far as he does without the gravity thingy.)

Blob had strength and a good degree of imperviousness, especially around his midsection in addition to his immobility. Being rooted to the spot doesn't mean much if you're just going to get beat to a pulp!

I've always liked Blob, but that was probably my pro fat-guy leanings :D