The Worst character in comics

Adventus

Re: The Worst character in comics

Doesn't old Blobby also have super strength (considering his weight' date=' he needs it!) and gravity control powers? I remember reading something about him now having the equivalent of a Double Knockback punch, anyway.[/quote']

The Blob has always had superstrength. I just picked up the Essential Ms. Marvel #1, and he's shown slapping Wonder Man through a guard tower...that's back in 1981.

Specifically, Vision's quote on seeing that is: "That guard tower only marginally impeded Wonder Man's progress. His trajectory indicates that he will land somewhere in the West Bronx. It will be some time before he rejoins us."

Sounds like Double Knockback to me...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blob has always had superstrength. I just picked up the Essential Ms. Marvel #1, and he's shown slapping Wonder Man through a guard tower...that's back in 1981.

Specifically, Vision's quote on seeing that is: "That guard tower only marginally impeded Wonder Man's progress. His trajectory indicates taht he will land somewhere in the West Bronx. It will be some time before he rejoins us."

Sounds like Double Knockback to me...

That would be Avengers Annual #10, a good thing to include in an Essential Ms. Marvel collection because that's where she gets Rogue-raped.

How's about DC's the Phantom Stranger? When he first appeared, dressed in the peak of late 60's cool, he didn't appear to do anything to anybody except be the writing staffs sock puppet. A way of laying down plot threads for the readers. Ah yes, from that same era, Deadman. I mean really... a gymnast, killed by a rifle shot while in mid air, who now haunts the world as an untouchable ghost (apart from the old body possession trick)searching for his killer. Huh?

Yep, DC writers of that era had access to great recreational drugs.

Yep, that's a wierd one, but hardly the worst. There was a whole slew from the LSH's readers suggestions, including Colour Kid or that girl with the ring of eyes around her head?

Let's get back to Cable. How about nailed to a dead cow and then floated over a Great White Shark feading frenzy...

How's about DC's the Phantom Stranger? When he first appeared, dressed in the peak of late 60's cool, he didn't appear to do anything to anybody except be the writing staffs sock puppet. A way of laying down plot threads for the readers. Ah yes, from that same era, Deadman. I mean really... a gymnast, killed by a rifle shot while in mid air, who now haunts the world as an untouchable ghost (apart from the old body possession trick)searching for his killer. Huh?

Yep, DC writers of that era had access to great recreational drugs.

If you can remember the 60's, you weren't there.

How's about DC's the Phantom Stranger? When he first appeared' date=' dressed in the peak of late 60's cool, he didn't appear to do anything to anybody except be the writing staffs sock puppet. A way of laying down plot threads for the readers. [/quote']

Hey, lay off the Phantom Stranger. He was cosmic, man.

If you can remember the 60's' date=' you weren't there.[/quote'] Yep, I was there, reading comics, too young for the rest of it though. That had to wait for the 70's... wherein I made up for it.

Hey' date=' lay off the Phantom Stranger. He was cosmic, man.[/quote'] Yes he was. Just wandering around, issuing dire warnings then, when the hero finished all the criminal catching, problem solving, cosmic event thwarting etc,he'd just smile say "my job is done" and bugger off to wherever it was he came from.

Excuse, I've got to get back to sticking pins in my 'Cable' action figure.

They actually made Matter-Eater Lad cool (if a little edgy) in the new Legion books. Granted' date=' he never actually goes by that moniker in the new books, but it's the same character.[/quote']

I don't think Matter-Eater Lad is the worst character in comics. He does however have the worst codename in comics.

Cable and Wolverine if nothing else for the "popularity" compared to the general crappiness of them. Well, Wolverine wouldnt be so bad except for being a total @$$hole and being able to superheal from anything. If the frickin' universe blew up, he'd probably regenerate from that. :rolleyes:

I've been debating this in my head, and have reached a decision. Even though he used to be cool, I have to give it to Wolverine. Why? A few reasons. He started the whole trend of "loner on a team" and, of course, "berserker with claws and a healing-factor." Plus, he has become the single most over-used, over-exposed, over-rated, and over-estimated comic-book character I can think of. And, I think many of the current problems with Marvel Comics come from them going "Wolverine is our most popular character. So, let's make all our characters more like Wolverine!"

Doesn't old Blobby also have super strength (considering his weight' date=' he needs it!) and gravity control powers? I remember reading something about him now having the equivalent of a Double Knockback punch, anyway.[/quote']

Well, he was de-powered by the Great Scarlet Witch FUBAR, but yes, he did. He was strong enough to contain the grey Hulk (until he ticked Hulk off, of course), and learned to reverse his gravitational 'immobility' into a pretty impressive gravity smash. On top of being pretty darn invulnerable.

Cable and Wolverine if nothing else for the "popularity" compared to the general crappiness of them. Well' date=' Wolverine wouldnt be so bad except for being a total @$$hole and being able to superheal from anything. If the frickin' universe blew up, he'd probably regenerate from that. :rolleyes:[/quote']

The hulk actually has better regeneration than wolverine....

We can only dream of an alternate reality' date=' improved from our own by this having happened there. :)[/quote']

And in that reality Bruce Lee stopped playing Kwai Chang Caine in the TV series 'Kung Fu' after the fifth season because he had other projects.

:D

Hey, I just read my copy of Wizard #201, and they list Wolverine as #1 in a list of the top 200 comic book characters of all time. Yes, ahead of Superman and Batman. Batman was #2.

Wolverine was an interesting character before he took over every title at Marvel. One day I fully expect to see a story arc where he takes out Galactus.

Oh choices, choices.

I'd have to throw Cable in there first up. For all the reasons stated up at the start of the thread. But let's not feed him to the Great Whites, that's an endangered species you know.

And Wolverweenie for what he's turned into. He has been cool in the past but that was the past.

HAven't been reading comics for a while so I can't talk about Iron Man. ALthough from what I've read on these forums it sounds like he's been turned into a joke. Does anyone think it was all just preliminary marketing for the movie?

Bishop & Gambit come in for some hate too. Bishop just cos who the hell needed another refugee from the dystopian future. Gambit cos he's a twink. And if he was a DnD character you just know he'd be an elf.

As long as we're piling on regrettable X-Men, I have to give a partial vote to Maggott. Guy whose mutant power is his digestive system is actually two intelligent super-slugs named Eany and Meany who crawl out through his stomach and can eat anything, like a slug version of Matter-Eating Lad. Then they transmit the power to him, and he turns blue, gets really strong, and does other stupid things. Plus, his dumb accent. Conceptually, he's about as dumb as you can get. Who comes up with the idea for "guy with slugs in his stomach", anyways?

Galactus calls for someone on a whole 'nother level than Wolverine.

Galactus calls for Squirrel Girl.

:) Too funny.

Speaking of one of her teammates, I always thought that Mr Immortal should get tired of the superhero biz, and go evil (by whatever plot reasons - or maybe he is just undercover) and ends up a major crime boss in new york.

Then the punisher kills him.

And a week later the punisher comes in for the new crime boss, and it's the same guy. So he kills him again.

and again

and again.

So we have Mr Immortal really frustrating the Punisher, and the readers actually have a recurring villain with a lethal hero. :)

I don't think Matter-Eater Lad is the worst character in comics. He does however have the worst codename in comics.

Well, if we are going to do bad code names, and LSH has many, I think Infectious Lass might top the chart...;)