Savate: Sport and Martial Art

proditor

Re: Savate: Sport and Martial Art

I speak and read French.

I believe the correct wording is "Savate dans la rue" -- literally, "Savate in the street."

"That's hardcore!" would be most closely translated "C'est dur!" ("That's hard!") or "Formidable!" (Closest translation, "Awesome!")

Thanks, you've been a help.

BTW, there's another French phrase I've been puzzling over -- with your permission, I'd like to bounce it off you and see if you can translate it for me?

I think it's funny that the street-level empty-hand stuff is so, indeed, formidable, but the WEAPON form is based on aesthetics. Of course, kung fu has scholar sword, too.

Escrima isn't that aesthetic, and I used to work out with a Dog Brother, so I'm just prejudiced. I think the acrobatic and aesthetic h2h stuff is great, but I prefer weapon arts to be pragmatic. Just personal choice. Savate cane IS pretty, though, and I'm sure it's a good workout.

I think it's funny that the street-level empty-hand stuff is so, indeed, formidable, but the WEAPON form is based on aesthetics. Of course, kung fu has scholar sword, too.

Escrima isn't that aesthetic, and I used to work out with a Dog Brother, so I'm just prejudiced. I think the acrobatic and aesthetic h2h stuff is great, but I prefer weapon arts to be pragmatic. Just personal choice. Savate cane IS pretty, though, and I'm sure it's a good workout.

I still think we're talking past each other here...

Canne de Combat is like Kendo, and Canne d'Arme is like Kenjutsu.

Or like Judo/Jujutsu, etc. etc.

The video shows the sporting form, not the fighting form.

Savate is also a sporting form, and far more popular than Savate Defense, but that's changing to some degree apparently.

dog brother?

The Dog Brothers are a loosely organized group of martial artists that do full contact weapons sparring using minimal armor (fencers mask, various types of gloves, sometimes knee and elbow pads).

The majority of it is Filipino Martial Arts based stick techniques, but there are other styles that represent (Krabi Krabrong, Latigo y Daga, Kendo, etc). There's also a lot of grappling and some empty hand. It's not quite anything goes, but it's pretty close.

• 2 weeks later...