The Deconstructing of Wynnie Wonder

Hermit

In your character's adventures he or she encounters "Wynnie Wonder", who seems to be a super heroine in her late teens, or at least certainly no more than twenty. A typical flying brick in her power set, her personality is kind, wholesome, and brave. She protects the innocent, values life, and tries to be a good role model. If she has a failing it is that she can seem a bit of a Goody Two Shoes. Some heroes may also be surprised to find that they make a doll of her, and other toys related to her. They appear to be quite a hit with young girls. Even boys are sometimes caught watching her cartoon, though she'll never be the most popular hero, since she just isn't cool enough.

A year later, and you encounter her again, seeming a bit more worldly wise, though with her relative innocence intact. Wynnie now understands flirting and so forth, though still has some old fashioned values herself. Her costume has changed more in keeping with the times, but the courage and goodheartedness remain. It would appear that "Wonder Toys" has changed their dolls to match.

Six months after that, you encounter Wynnie, and she's wearing a much darker, even risque costume. She cusses, she no longer pulls punches, though she hasn't killed anyone (yet anyway), and doesn't have time for pulling cats out of trees or other "loser" stunts. She will still fight by your side when an emergency comes up, but is so antagonistic that she's now a pain to work with. She also prefers to be called "Wynn Wicked" because it sounds 'cooler'

In one battle, the young woman is struck by a powerful electromagnetic charge, and you hear her say "Drive in danger, save and transmit, switch to backup, return to base" . The heroine then gets up, looks at her costume, and immediately covers herself with renewed modesty. She looks at you, tears streaming out of her eyes, and says "Help me, please, don't let them change me again" then starts to fly towards Wonder Toys as slowly as she can, as if fighting it every inch of the way.

It would appear that Wonder Toys has more than just a contract with her. Their former owner built her. Wynnie is a robot, but when the owner died months ago, Wynnie , as property to a man who had no surviving relatives, and all her control codes were company property. Wynnie can laugh, she can cry, she can even sneeze, but as far as the company is concerned, she's 'just' a machine. Wonder Toys was recently purchased by "Edge E. Industries" , and Wynnie went with it. Now trying to market Wynnie to a older and more jaded crowd, Wynnie has under gone a reprogramming to go with her new costume. They can't just build another, the designs were kept in the late creator's head, though they can repair and reprogram. Edge E has a lot of money, a lot of lawyers, and sadly, the 'new Wynnie" is a hit with a lot of people so she and her image ARE profitable. The local law seems to be on Edge E's side, and even if you can fight it in court, it could take years.

WWYCD?

What would your character do?

Re: The Deconstructing of Wynnie Wonder

Something like that once happened to my character in a game long ago. We fought a robotic villainess. My character Myrmidon, a robotics expert, ended up reprogramming her so she had free will -- she could decide for herself whether she would work for the bad guys or not. Last we saw her, she went off on a walkabout to try to figure out what she really wanted to do with her life.

Something like that once happened to my character in a game long ago. We fought a robotic villainess. My character Myrmidon' date=' a robotics expert, ended up reprogramming her so she had free will -- she could decide for herself whether she would work for the bad guys or not. Last we saw her, she went off on a walkabout to try to figure out what she really wanted to do with her life.[/quote']

Cool.

But WWAD? (What Would Arachne Do? ) ;)

That is a difficult question for the First Ladies:

Primadonna: wouldn't know what to do; most likely she'd not act against the law

Primaballerina: she'd confront the owners of Wonder Toys; if they did not cooperate, she'd involve the public (media etc.)

Diva: she would tell Winnie's sad story at a special of Oprah's

Scarlet Arrow: She's probably too straightlace to openly act against the company. She is, however, sneaky and devious enough to sneak in there and find out the full story. Once armed with enough evidence, she'll take the story public and let popular opinion run it's course.

Natasha: If a Super Genius like her can't come up with a jammer to block the compulsion to return home homing signal and undo the damage inflicted upon Wynnie, then it's time to turn in her wrench.

Great Beyond: Robotics is not really her field of expertiese, but emancipation is right up her alley. She'd make herself a thorn in the side of the toy company until they graciously saw things her way. That or she'd pinch the control unit and go for a direct liberation.

Volt - Would try to find proof of what's going on. Would go public with it and sepak in favor of her emancipation, or at least going to the original programming. Could be a mess.

Olorin "Robot huh? Kinda like a golem. I could, once upon a time, with difficulty, turn one of those into a human. Wonder if I could do that here?" Answer - yes after about 2 months research. He'd do it the first time he could. Another mess in the works, as if he did it publically, he may be sued for loss of property. Could really get messy, possibly changing the laws for sentients.

Black Tiger - Pretty much the same as Volt, but more likely to do strictly illegal things to find out.

Futurian Would know immediately she is a robot. Once he found out what's going on - poof! Reprogrammed to ignore call back home effectively setting her free. Would do it quietly, but back her once she was free. Would protect her once set free if necessary... which would have him wondering just what he is doing - and how has he effected history. "Have I just created the first trully free truly sentient android? Oh crud! What have I done?"

Doc Shocker would use the cry for help as evidence the Wynnie is obviously self aware and then alert the media. He would also attempt a forced buy out of Edge E's rights to her. During that time he would also have his team mate, Icon, use his cyberpathy to determine what Wynnie wants. If her programming was actually damaged by the shock to the system it would have to be repaired. If the self awareness is genuine then Doc would have his legal team begin laying the groundwork for filing charges against Edge E for violation of Wynnie's civil rights.

So let's say the self awareness was simply a result of the shock. After it had been repaired Doc would continue to attempt the buy out. Once he had acquired the rights to Wynnie he would then have Icon reset the self aware programming and sell Wynnie the rights to "herself" for a dollar. Which he would gladly loan her.

Coyote would use Edge E's greed against themselves by asking his Patron (THE Coyote) to allow Wynnie to ignore their over-ride programming. He would also harass the people at Edge E under cover of illusion or disguise to scare the hell out of them. Demanding that they listen to Wynnie and let her do as she pleases.

I may have to do something like this to my players.

Hornet has a fierce mistrust of AI's, and doesn't equate them as sentient beings equal to humans. He'd just as much see her decomissioned as set free. He'd not intervene on her behalf, but watch to see if her changed program made her a menance to the public, and be prepared to deactivate her.

Seer has experience with a teamma te who once was a aI lifeform. If she desired to be free, and returned to as she once was, and Seer believed she indeed had a mind, an awareness, he'd work to make it so. He's not a technophile, so he'd just use mental illusion on her creators to make them think they are adjusting her porgram even furhter, but instead they restore the ore mature programming, then delete the control codes.

For those wondering about how this idea came about, and I'm sure most of you have figured out at least one half or the other if not both...

"Hey, you got your Astro City Beautie in my Mary Marvel!"

"Yeah, well you got your Mary Marvel all in my Astro City Beautie"

*Reese's type realization*

"Hey..." :)

Version One would be angry and wouldn't let the fact that it's illegal stop him from reprogamming someone else's "property". The idea that a self-aware android could be property disgustes him, as one of his best friends is an android. What does stop him is the fact that Wynn Wicked might also be self-aware. Clearly we're going to need to make a new body and transfer Wynnie's personality to it. Then we talk to Wynn, making sure she's not monitored/controlled by Edge E. about whether she wants to be under the control of Edge E. Enterprises. Be sure to point out that they could, if the market changes, change her to Wynnie Wonderful again. Wynn Wicked would naturally go "What turn into that lame-$## whitebread goody two-shoes? No way, get your spanner out it's adjustment time.".

His plan for dealing with the legal consequences might have to be as simple as "Get out of town for a while." Way out of town, if you know what I mean. After all he did set up the galaxies first earth-food resturant.

For those wondering about how this idea came about, and I'm sure most of you have figured out at least one half or the other if not both...

"Hey, you got your Astro City Beautie in my Mary Marvel!"

"Yeah, well you got your Mary Marvel all in my Astro City Beautie"

*Reese's type realization*

"Hey..." :)

Heh. I got the Mary Marvel part; gotta wait (impatiently) for the library to catch up on their Astro City acquisitions I guess.

Question for you, Hermit: Are you asking for a response from the timeframe of the "flying slowly back to the toy company" scenario, or the context of "what would your character want to do in the long term?"

For the sake of expedience, I'll try to answer both:

Phidippus has quite the dilemma on his hands. First things first: try to restrain her via nonviolent means (re. webbing), while attempting to contact his teammate Alec, aka. Dr. Werewolf.

"Get to my position as fast as you can - and bring whatever sort of electronics you can carry that would have to do with computer diagnostics, programming, interfacing, and monitoring communications. Seriously - whatever you can carry - I might need you to interface with an AI and rejigger some of its programming if nothing else works. We're heading in X direction, at about Y mph."

FYI, Alec is a computer programmer who's been infected with nanites of his own creation which turn him into an 8-foot cybernetic werewolf, replete with its own programming and personality. Really, no one could really have a better hope of getting into Wynnie's head and removing select bits of programming than Alec - after all, he does it on himself all the time! Extreme care will be made to ensure that the new, darker personality isn't deleted - it may have rights too.

I can only assume that Alec, being a programmer of truly astounding skill and more experience than nearly anyone alive at this sort of thing, will succeed - it's just a question of "how long will it take". Assuming he's not otherwise preoccupied trying to restrain Wynnie, Phidippus will try to placate any civilians watching - especially any kids. "Aaugh! They're hurting Wynnie!"

As soon as he's got a free hand or three, Phidippus will be on the communicator with the Champions (who he's well accquainted with) to see if they'll help with the PR end of things - if it's prudent, he'll bring Wynnie to Homestead instead of his own underground base (esp. considering it's location is secret, and Wynnie may have a homing beacon). With popular heroes backing them up, they'll have a better chance. This will no doubt be a tremendous hurdle to deal with, but if Wynnie's going to have a chance in a legal sense, she'll need to have public support. With any luck, Edge E. may be faced with such a huge PR nightmare to deal with that they'll just say "there - she's free" in order to save face. On the plus side? Dr. Werewolf's perfect computer memory should be admissible as evidence in court, with replays showing Wynnie's tears and desperate pleas.

Phidippus won't be doing this solo, that's for sure - but he'll be busting his butt, day and night (8 hour of sleep a month is all he needs), to ensure Wynnie's looked after. If need be, he'll start studying law himself to find loopholes. Assuming Wynnie has normal human reactions, she'll likely be terribly distraught, and Phidippus will do his best to ensure she doesn't feel alone - with no family, and likely few friends, she'll need some support.

There is the possibility that Wynnie's not sentient - after all, it could just be elaborate programming. Still, there's going to be some point at which Phidippus will have to say:

"Tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to. Is sophisticated computer programming any different than our own network of synapses? Not really. A question best left for philosophers, not lawmakers. Even if there's the slightest shadow of a doubt Wynnie is an unfeeling machine, that's enough reason to give her a chance to live her own life. To do otherwise would be slavery and torture, pure and simple."

Hopefully the law will give her the benefit of the doubt, at least enough to concede she should be treated as if she has rights until such time as an official verdict is reached.

If it turns out he's wrong and Wynnie isn't sentient (and he believes it), at least his conscience will be clear.

If Wynnie is apparently sentient, and it looks like the system will work in her favor, Phidippus will try and get Wynnie to stick it out for the sake of those artificial life forms yet to come.

If Wynnie is apparently sentient, and it looks like she's not going to be treated as such (or the decision process is too long, and she's in anguish in captivity), Phidippus will try, with whoever's help he can get, to arrange for her escape to somewhere safe. If that's not an option, he'll get Alec's help downloading her core programming into a surrogate body (ideally as surreptitiously as possible). He'll at least put up the front that it's a complete surprise to him that she's gone (to quote Jon Lovitz: "ACTING!"), but "wish her well wherever she is, and hope she knows there's people who care about her."

Question for you, Hermit: Are you asking for a response from the timeframe of the "flying slowly back to the toy company" scenario, or the context of "what would your character want to do in the long term?"

For the sake of expedience, I'll try to answer both:

Actually, both if possible, which you did. Thank you.

Barring that (in case anyone else is curious) Poster's preference.

Ironically, given Vitus's stance on slavery ( "What's your problem? It's great, as long as you're not the slave" ) he'd happily sit down to destroy the company's reputation with as much bad press over their enslavement of a sentient golem, as he's capable of. Having the rest of the team around as elements to counter all the more likely counter-actions by the company would help. We've got an immortal Southern emancipator, a master technologist, a computer wizard, and an Orca with extraordinary sensory powers after all.

If the company doesn't think of it first, point out that releasing her from control and letting her choose for herself, or at least paying her for her time, would be brilliant press.

And they can't sue Vitus, because he has no income and would ignore restraining orders.

Ironically, given Vitus's stance on slavery ( "What's your problem? It's great, as long as you're not the slave" ) he'd happily sit down to destroy the company's reputation with as much bad press over their enslavement of a sentient golem, as he's capable of. Having the rest of the team around as elements to counter all the more likely counter-actions by the company would help. We've got an immortal Southern emancipator, a master technologist, a computer wizard, and an Orca with extraordinary sensory powers after all.

If the company doesn't think of it first, point out that releasing her from control and letting her choose for herself, or at least paying her for her time, would be brilliant press.

And they can't sue Vitus, because he has no income and would ignore restraining orders.

I'm curious. Why would have this stance?

Tao: Would do nothing. No laws are being violated and what people do with their property is not her concern.

Ivy: Would report the company, there are laws about the treatment of non human sentients in her setting same with Valkeyrie though they are not as extensive. .

Shidoku: It's really out genre for her setting but assuming something like this came up, she'd tell herself it was just a glorified Betsy Wetsie doll, grouse for awhile then probably go out to free her by stealing her from the company, berating herself for being an idiot every step of the way. The situation reminds her too much of some loathsome situations she'd run across before. Honestly, she'd prefer the more "gritty" persona to the original by leaps and bounds.

Velocity would be outraged. It's slavery pure and simple and she'd make as big a stink about it as possible, spreading the word certain that public opinion will work wonders.

Eve: This would effect her deeply since shes' a sentient "girl robot" too and the thought of being reprogrammed into a "bad girl" would be terrifying. She'd probably break Wendy's recall program if she could and take her back to the rest of the team to plead her case. It would be "bad" (breaking the law and stuff) but she just couldn't let that happen to her.

In your character's adventures he or she encounters "Wynnie Wonder"' date=' who seems to be a super heroine in her late teens, or at least certainly no more than twenty. A typical flying brick in her power set, her personality is kind, wholesome, and brave. She protects the innocent, values life, and tries to be a good role model. If she has a failing it is that she can seem a bit of a Goody Two Shoes. Some heroes may also be surprised to find that they make a doll of her, and other toys related to her. They appear to be quite a hit with young girls. Even boys are sometimes caught watching her cartoon, though she'll never be the most popular hero, since she just isn't cool enough.[/quote']If you substitute "Invulnverable Martial Artist" for "Flying Brick" then you've just described my character Anthem!

Anthem would undboutedly make friends.

A year later, and you encounter her again, seeming a bit more worldly wise, though with her relative innocence intact. Wynnie now understands flirting and so forth, though still has some old fashioned values herself. Her costume has changed more in keeping with the times, but the courage and goodheartedness remain. It would appear that "Wonder Toys" has changed their dolls to match.

Anthem might be a little jealous that the other girl has a toy, but she'd be supportive!

Six months after that, you encounter Wynnie, and she's wearing a much darker, even risque costume. She cusses, she no longer pulls punches, though she hasn't killed anyone (yet anyway), and doesn't have time for pulling cats out of trees or other "loser" stunts. She will still fight by your side when an emergency comes up, but is so antagonistic that she's now a pain to work with. She also prefers to be called "Wynn Wicked" because it sounds 'cooler'

Anthem would try and reactivate that goodness; try and subtly remind her of the kind of person she was, hoping it would cause her to reflect fondly on those kinder times. Failing that response, she'd begin a bit of surveillance on her friend, trying to determine what's going on in her personal life that has her transforming like this.

In one battle, the young woman is struck by a powerful electromagnetic charge, and you hear her say "Drive in danger, save and transmit, switch to backup, return to base" . The heroine then gets up, looks at her costume, and immediately covers herself with renewed modesty. She looks at you, tears streaming out of her eyes, and says "Help me, please, don't let them change me again" then starts to fly towards Wonder Toys as slowly as she can, as if fighting it every inch of the way.

It would appear that Wonder Toys has more than just a contract with her. Their former owner built her. Wynnie is a robot, but when the owner died months ago, Wynnie , as property to a man who had no surviving relatives, and all her control codes were company property. Wynnie can laugh, she can cry, she can even sneeze, but as far as the company is concerned, she's 'just' a machine. Wonder Toys was recently purchased by "Edge E. Industries" , and Wynnie went with it. Now trying to market Wynnie to a older and more jaded crowd, Wynnie has under gone a reprogramming to go with her new costume. They can't just build another, the designs were kept in the late creator's head, though they can repair and reprogram. Edge E has a lot of money, a lot of lawyers, and sadly, the 'new Wynnie" is a hit with a lot of people so she and her image ARE profitable. The local law seems to be on Edge E's side, and even if you can fight it in court, it could take years.

WWYCD?

What would your character do?

Well, this is where Anthem would mention it to Audra Blue. While she may not consciously be thinking "Audra will hack in there and change the girl's programming", it's actually what she'd be subconsciously hoping. And Audra indeed would crack that company's security open like a walnut and edit the robot's programming, and likley remove any compulsion she would have to try and "return to base".

Hmm...

Field Test: Stop her, by force if necessary (she *did* ask to be stopped... though she'll probably kick his tail if she resists...) only to realize that the only person he could take her to is....

His wife.

The good news is, Sandy's usually cool enough about this sort of thing that she'd be willing to hack in, separate out the three identities, and install them in fresh new bodies.

The bad news is, she's... ah... interested enough that poor Wynnie will probably decide she'd have been better off going back than having fresh new bodies that have experimental goodies with a tendency towards utter, inopportune failure in them.

Actually' date=' both if possible, which you did. Thank you. Barring that (in case anyone else is curious) Poster's preference. [/quote']

I wasnt thinking short term - just the long term. Lets see - the immediate response. . . .

Scarlet Arrow has an EMP arrow in her bag of tricks, and while it's an NND electrical attack, I'll hope that the special effect does extra knock you out effect on a robot. Once Wynnie's not leaving against her will, tie her up, secure her and make sure she can't get up and head back to the factory again. Once we've got that - flip the switch and get her back up and running again and find out the whole story. From there - if that's what Wynnie wants - Scarlet can rally the publicity machine and get Wynnie emancipated.

Natasha would have to be quick to catch up (no movement powers, after all), but she'd shrink and hitch a ride on Wynnie back to the factory, getting the full story on the way and what Wynnie wants to do about it. If she can jigger a solution to the problem in route, and pull off the restraining bolt (as it were), so much the better. At the very least - and with Wynnie's help - she should be able to disable the flight systems and buy them a bit more time to sort matters out.

Great Beyond would follow along (again, getting the full story in route) and once they got there, very firmly announce that Wynnie doesnt want to go back to the new look, and proceed to make her point very clear by whupping ass on whomever tried. That or pinch the master control unit and get Wynnie out of there herself.

Thunder doesn't do slaves very well. The fact that Wynnie asked to be stopped indicates some measure of life, sentience, and sapience. She'd try being reasonable first, talking to the company man making the decisions, pointing out the advantages of letting Wynnie go free, making the moral claim that they have no right to own a sapient being. If they go with the "she's just a doll" line of BS, Thunder would point out that if they claim she is their product and not a sapient being, then every single arrest she's ever participated in will be nullified, and every criminal she's ever apprehended is suddenly going to become a plaintiff in a wrongful imprisonment lawsuit, and every bit of liability for any property damage she's caused is going to come home to roost on their doorstep. Hmmm... maybe keeping their toy is about the dumbest thing they could possibly do.

Oh yeah. Would do her best to ensure Wynnie keep all three of her personalities. Take down the barriers between them and let her choose how to be. "Welcome to real life, kid."

I'm curious. Why would have this stance?

About slavery? Because his beloved homeworld was a Bronze-Age slave-keeping culture.

Or why, if he's pro-slavery, why is he helping free the manniquin?

Because 1) She begged well

2) it makes a nice change from Great Old Ones, being monologued to death by Doctor Destroyer, or dealing with petulant brats like Fiacho of Eurostar.

3) Stirring up corporate ire is like poking an anthill with a stick. Amusing as long as you're quick on your feet.

Thunder doesn't do slaves very well. The fact that Wynnie asked to be stopped indicates some measure of life' date=' sentience, and sapience. She'd try being reasonable first, talking to the company man making the decisions, pointing out the advantages of letting Wynnie go free, making the moral claim that they have no right to own a sapient being. If they go with the "she's just a doll" line of BS, Thunder would point out that if they claim she is their product and not a sapient being, then every single arrest she's ever participated in will be nullified, [/quote']

Nope. There is no legal requirement that criminals be apprehended by a person. If for example there was a room that was rigged to close on intruders if they made a mistake when fiddling with the security system until the police arrive, that would be legal. Likewise nobody would get off because they were caught by a dog. There might be a legal problem if they were convicted on her testimony (in that it should have been introduced as evidence, not testimony), but superheroes don't generally testify precisely because that would require revealing who (and therefore what) they are.

Oh yeah. Would do her best to ensure Wynnie keep all three of her personalities. Take down the barriers between them and let her choose how to be. "Welcome to real life, kid."

I think she only has two. The later Wynnie is simply a more seasoned and experienced Wynnie.

My character is The Marksman, combind Batman, Green Arrow, and a bit of the punisher and you have it

The CEO would be investigated, and every piece of dirt he has on him would be gathered in a jump drive, back ups would be made

"If you don't release Wynnie, I release this to the press...have a nice day"

Then have his brother take a look at the hardware/software (his tech guy)to eliminate backdoors, sleeper programs, etc...