Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storn

Storn's Fantasy Art, Comics and Doodles

Originally posted by Storn

Here is Spar, the young loremaster from Sembia. A great character by the newest gamer in our extended group, Chris. I got the illo ready for the game coming this weekend. Enjoy.

Very nice. Another excellent character sketch; evokes a lot about the figure depicted.

This is the Maltese Cross. She is actually in my Malta campaign, which is Dark Champions in a Champions Universe... but she looks like a fantasy character... so here she is.

Wow. This is really top-notch -- Id put that against the best work of any of the top artists in the industry. Great job.

And here is my PC for the excellent, once in a while game, that my friend Matt is running called Chalice. Chalice is THEE city and my D'artagnan stand-in Stefan is about to embark on some really dangerous political adventures.

Like everything except the face. The cocked eyebrow + grin makes him look too feline. Its distracting. Plus the right eyebrow lifts your eye off the upper left corner of the page, right out of the fantastic detail contained in the costume and weaponry. If his brow were furrowed a bit in focus, or if the left eye brow were cocked (EDIT: instead of the right) in counter point to the grin on the right it would work better IMO.

Here is a further experimentation in digital over pencil. This was another one of those scenes that woke me up in the middle of the night. And I just had to put to paper.

Hmm. My eye goes right to the elaborately detailed forward knee and stays there. Maybe a little reflected light on the faces of the foreground figures would help pull the eyes there.

Thanks K.S., for all that time.

No worries; I was bored at work and killing the last half hour ;)

Actually, Ive followed your artwork casually over the years, and I have to say that you are the most improved artist I am aware of in the industry, which I know must sound like a backhanded compliment, but really is meant in the best possible way.

IMO most of the gaming artists dont grow much AFAICT; their artwork isnt majorly different from year to year. You keep trying to push your personal envelope, and that says a lot about a person.

The cover of Champions is what made me go "hey, wow -- this is Storn? Nice!"

So basically, I guess Im saying, keep up the good work, it is appreciated. :)

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

The center of gravity is odd on this picture.

Stylistically it works, but it pulls my eyes all over the page. They end up on the wrecking ball arm in the dirt, leaving a huge open gash of dead space from the upper left corner to the wrecking ball. Also leaves the cat and arch out in the cold -- the eye gets sucked away from them entirely to the point that they might as well not even be there.

Actually looking at this again, it occured to me that it might be meant as a book cover, with the robot filling the front panel and the cat on the back, allowing a lot of white space for fluff text and the "V" of white space coming in on the spine.

If thats the case then this piece works when considered in split format, though the lunging hero kind of blends in w/ the bot a bit.

I like all your pictures in this thread but I must disagree with Killer Shrike your finished work are much better than your sketches. My favourite picture is the one with the purple dragon knight and the statue head, the statuehead is especially good. It is a pity that you don’t like drawing background's because you do it very well. I also think that you are very good at drawing women. For the history of the realm I thought that it was okay but you should have focused more on describing the players actions and the consecveces of their adventures.

And I like the 3 eyed troll. :)

Originally posted by Trencher

I like all your pictures in this thread but I must disagree with Killer Shrike your finished work are much better than your sketches. My favourite picture is the one with the purple dragon knight and the statue head, the statuehead is especially good. It is a pity that you don’t like drawing background's because you do it very well. I also think that you are very good at drawing women. For the history of the realm I thought that it was okay but you should have focused more on describing the players actions and the consecveces of their adventures.

And I like the 3 eyed troll. :)

And thats the beauty of Art Appreciation. We can all appreciate it differently ;)

This is Garreth. A.k.a "that blue skinned freak". One of Rick's PCs in the Realms and probably the most important. Son of Elminster and Mystara (her mark of 7 Stars plain to see), goddess of Magic, raised in a pocket dimension... his curiousity is only matched by horrible color and fashion sense.

But recent events have made him more serious, more aware and more responsible. HIs burden is heavy and the future is most uncertain.

Re: Storn's Fantasy Art, Comics and Doodles

Cranking thru some of my own artwork for my own game. Which I'm running this week.

First up is Eltherion, Sentinel of Lethyr Forest, one of two of the last of his/her kind. This is one of Eric's PCs... who is being dusted off after a long hiatus. And brother to one of my games GREAT villains...Lotholis (who, btw, is the lich looking dude on my website under "doodles".)

2nd, is Methamere Dray. Harper and spy. Leading the current expedition to find a means to bringing down Lotholis. And before anyone accuses me of not doing my homework on flintlocks/muskets... it ain't one. My Realms has "guns"...but they don't work under gunpowder models. They accomplish the same thing, throw a bit of lead downfield and hurt something...but it is tweaked to represent the world a bit tighter.

Re: Storn's Fantasy Art, Comics and Doodles

Cranking thru some of my own artwork for my own game. Which I'm running this week.

First up is Eltherion, Sentinel of Lethyr Forest, one of two of the last of his/her kind. This is one of Eric's PCs... who is being dusted off after a long hiatus. And brother to one of my games GREAT villains...Lotholis (who, btw, is the lich looking dude on my website under "doodles".)

2nd, is Methamere Dray. Harper and spy. Leading the current expedition to find a means to bringing down Lotholis. And before anyone accuses me of not doing my homework on flintlocks/muskets... it ain't one. My Realms has "guns"...but they don't work under gunpowder models. They accomplish the same thing, throw a bit of lead downfield and hurt something...but it is tweaked to represent the world a bit tighter.

Very very very nice. I am always impressed