What Non-Fiction Book have you just finished?

ahduval

Re: What Non-Fiction Book have you just finished?

A Lion's Tale: Around the World In Spandex - Chris Jericho

Man, this guy has jammed a lot of living into his career. This starts with him doing wrestling stuff with his best friend as a kid and ends with him doing his first appearance in the WWE on RAW.

You get to see from his vantage point just how messed up most of the promotions are and why the WWE just seem like Nirvana by comparison. Some very funny incidents, a lot of self-deprication.

I really need to get that book.

The last non-fiction book I read was _At Dawn We Slept_ (Gordon Prange), a very thorough look at events leading up to the Pearl Harbor attack. Still holds up well nearly 30 years after it was first published. Read it as research for my weird WWII campaign.

Rethinking Mycenaean Palaces, 2 rev., exp. 2nd Edition, eds. Michael L Galaty and William A. Parkinson [2007].

I'm not an archaeologist and have to fight a strong temptation to read the first paragraphs and zone out, but it is amazing how far we've come ..and how far we have left to go. (And by "we," I mean, "you archaeology boys." My job is to skim the abstracts.)

Stiff by Mary Roach

Reviews the history and current use of human cadavers in science. It is humorous, but remains respectful of the dead. I have read it three times and would recommend it to anyone who isn't too squeamish.

How was it?

It provided me with some insight and inspiration for a socially inept super genius character that I'm working on, though that's not why I started reading it.

Overall, I thought it was a quick and interesting read. It's a rather unique look at savantism and I would generally recommend it to others. That said, Daniele's brilliant with mathematics and linguistics, but he's a somewhat uneven writer. This is probably a good thing though, as I think it gives you an impression of how his mind works. He'll obsesses over certain small details or explanations on one thing and then gloss over another entirely.

It provided me with some insight and inspiration for a socially inept super genius character that I'm working on, though that's not why I started reading it.

Overall, I thought it was a quick and interesting read. It's a rather unique look at savantism and I would generally recommend it to others. That said, Daniele's brilliant with mathematics and linguistics, but he's a somewhat uneven writer. This is probably a good thing though, as I think it gives you an impression of how his mind works. He'll obsesses over certain small details or explanations on one thing and then gloss over another entirely.

Thanks, I've been thinking of picking it up.

Going for your certification' date=' or just interested?[/quote']

I have toyed with the idea of getting a cert but it would basically be a vanity credential. I do train a few health professionals but outside of the ER staff and a few patients who hit me up at the gym I don't have any intention of doing it "for real."

I have toyed with the idea of getting a cert but it would basically be a vanity credential. I do train a few health professionals but outside of the ER staff and a few patients who hit me up at the gym I don't have any intention of doing it "for real."

Fair enough. I feel similarly about some of the training camps and seminars I get invited to. It would be fun, but if you're not in the industry there's not much practical value.

A few months ago I read through Pavel Tsatsouline's Beyond Bodybuilding; it's commercial, and aimed at the mass market, but it's also entertaining and pretty information dense. Worth picking up second hand.

I also re-read Zatsiorsky's "Science and Practice of Strength Training" every now and then. Pretty dry, but very interesting.

Thus far in 2008 I've read the following non-fiction books:

Eisenhower

Geoffrey Perret

Patton: A Genius for War

Carlo D’Este

Charles Darwin: Voyaging

Janet Browne

Charles Darwin: The Power of Place

Janet Browne

The Fate of Liberty: Abraham Lincoln and Civil Liberties

Mark E. Neely, Jr.

A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America

Stacy Schiff

An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa 1942-1943 (Reread)

Rick Atkinson

The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy 1943-1944

Rick Atkinson

The Supreme Commander: The War Years of Dwight D. Eisenhower

Stephen E. Ambrose

Russia’s War: A History of the Soviet Effort: 1941-1945

Richard Overy

Calculated Risk: The Extraordinary Life of Jimmy Doolittle-Aviation Pioneer and World War II Hero

Donna Hoppes

The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy

Adam Tooze

The Dictators: Hitler’s Germany, Stalin’s Russia

Richard Overy

When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler

David Glantz & Jonathan House

Operation Jedburgh: D-Day and America’s First Shadow War

Colin Beavan

Crusade: The Untold Story of the Persian Gulf War

Rick Atkinson

How The Allies Won

Richard Overy

The Third Reich: A New History

Michael Berleigh

Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives

Alan Bullock

Von Braun: Dreamer of Space, Engineer of War

Michael J. Neufeld

Dragon Hunter: Roy Chapman Andrews and the Central Asiatic Expeditions

Charles Gallenkamp

I'm currently about halfway through Mysteries of the Middle Ages and the Beginning of the Modern World by Thomas Cahill

Thus far in 2008 I've read the following non-fiction books:

Eisenhower

Geoffrey Perret

Patton: A Genius for War

Carlo D’Este

Charles Darwin: Voyaging

Janet Browne

Charles Darwin: The Power of Place

Janet Browne

The Fate of Liberty: Abraham Lincoln and Civil Liberties

Mark E. Neely, Jr.

A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America

Stacy Schiff

An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa 1942-1943 (Reread)

Rick Atkinson

The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy 1943-1944

Rick Atkinson

The Supreme Commander: The War Years of Dwight D. Eisenhower

Stephen E. Ambrose

Russia’s War: A History of the Soviet Effort: 1941-1945

Richard Overy

Calculated Risk: The Extraordinary Life of Jimmy Doolittle-Aviation Pioneer and World War II Hero

Donna Hoppes

The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy

Adam Tooze

The Dictators: Hitler’s Germany, Stalin’s Russia

Richard Overy

When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler

David Glantz & Jonathan House

Operation Jedburgh: D-Day and America’s First Shadow War

Colin Beavan

Crusade: The Untold Story of the Persian Gulf War

Rick Atkinson

How The Allies Won

Richard Overy

The Third Reich: A New History

Michael Berleigh

Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives

Alan Bullock

Von Braun: Dreamer of Space, Engineer of War

Michael J. Neufeld

Dragon Hunter: Roy Chapman Andrews and the Central Asiatic Expeditions

Charles Gallenkamp

I'm currently about halfway through Mysteries of the Middle Ages and the Beginning of the Modern World by Thomas Cahill

Very interesting list. Would make a better syllabus for a WWII history course than a few I've seen.

Very interesting list. Would make a better syllabus for a WWII history course than a few I've seen.
Yeah, I've been on a bit of a WW2 roll lately. I've still got a fair number of WW2 books in my "reading list" which are two boxes of unread books I keep in my car; including a biography of Mussolini and a 1200 page general history of the war. Several others are on order with Amazon, although not all WW2.

So far in 2008 I've spent $630 on books. No reason to think I won't hit $1000 by the end of the year. :D

How to Build a Time Machine

Paul Davies

As a science fiction / science fact fan there's little here that I haven't read before. This, however, is a really nice summation of the basics of wormholes, black holes, time dilation, etc. for the layperson. Very accessible language and examples. A short book, I read it over three lunch breaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior

by Ori Brafman, Rom Brafman

Attempting to answer the question "Why do smart people do stupid things?" can be tricky at best. This book starts by getting inside the head of a pilot right before a plane crash, and makes many assumptions that the authors cannot possibly verify. It also has several bad examples to support the garden variety psychology presented here. Though the reading is mildly interesting, there's nothing new or insightful.

Until chapter 7. If the information in chapter 7 about the function of the brain is correct, it's pretty mind blowing. I'm leery to accept it as 100% accurate just now (due to some sloppy logic earlier in the book) but the implications are incredible enough that I need to follow this up.

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel Walker Howe, What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815--1848 (Oxford: OUP, 2007). 978-0-19-507894-7.

This contribution to the OUP history of the United States series is a breakout hit this year, winning the Pulitzer Prize and garnering massive attention and sales. It isn't the last word, to my mind, but deserves the attention. The lack of cut-and-paste repetition is a miracle in the modern era of book compositing.

Benny Morris, 1948: The First Arab-Israeli War (New Haven and London: YUP, 2008) 978-0-300-12696-9. A reluctant read in that it falls out of my period of focus right now, but still worthy. It is difficult for me to say, but this would seem to be the most generous possible pro-Zionist interpretation of the events of 1947/8, and that is surely "damning with faint praise." Don't be fooled by the first passages of the conclusion.

Log-Man, if the findings that shook you are what I think they are, you may wish to look up Merlin Donald, A Mind So Rare: The Evolution of Human Consciousness (New York and London: W. W. Norton, 2001). 0-393-04950-7.

Up Till Now, the autobiography of William Shatner. Full of funny comments and unexpected insights. Id just finished Get a Life!, his book about Star Trek fans and conventions, and his completel lack of understanding of them at first to his present love of them. Up Till Now gives a pretty detailed understanding of the man and his story, but it jumps around a lot. Often an anecdote will be interrupted by something totally unrelated, then he will go back and finish. It can be a bit jarring.

Overall, I liked it, and Im glad to have read it. Knowing that he viewed the original series as a "failed TV show" helps explain why he couldnt understand why so many people wre so devoted to it until he decided to get out into the crowd and see what it was like from another perspective.

Shatner is an interesting dude.

I recently finished Weather: A Visual Guide by Bruce Buckley, Edward J. Hopkins, and Richard Whitaker. I'm a total weather whore, so I liked it. I wish they'd spent more time on extreme weather, but it has a lot of good "intro to weather" information in it, from how clouds form to what causes doldrums. The last part of the book focused on global climate change, but didn't really get into much detail.

Overall, a good beginner's guide to weather. :thumbup: