What Non-Fiction Book have you just finished?

ahduval

Re: What Non-Fiction Book have you just finished?

Then' date=' too, there is the USN's absolutely disgraceful treatment of the Indianapolis's captain afterwards. Basically, he was scapegoated for everything that had happened, and eventually committed suicide. Some sources blame Admiral King for a lot of this - he allegedly had a major grudge against the guy's family.[/quote']

Yeah, good point. If anyone should have been blamed for the disaster, it would probably should be the guy (whose name escapes for the moment, Gillette?) who considered the SOS as a hoax. If not for that, maybe rescue would have come in say a day or 2. Rather than the 4,5 days it took. Would have been many more saved at least.

Rock, Iron, Steel: The Book of Strength by Steve Justa.

More a booklet than a book, but inspiring and well worth the read. Steve Justa is a modern descendant of the Old Time Strongmen, one of those outliers who has spent his life building amazing practical strength. Here he lays out some of the training systems he used to build that strength. Barrel lifting, isometrics, weighted running, shovel lifts, sled pulling, the Backlift, the Hand-and-Thigh lift, and more are covered, along with programs for more common gym lifts, including a training with singles program that might make McFitness club trainers blow a gasket.

Even if you're not interested in strength training, this booklet offers a fascinating look at what the human body can accomplish with time and dedicated practice. If you are interested in building strength, Rock, Iron, Steel will likely change the way you train.

So, it's a very good book. Recommended.

When Life Nearly Died, by Michael Benton, 2003. It's about the mass extinction event at the end of the Permian, about 250 million years ago. It is estimated that 90-95% of all species went extinct.

The first 100 pages or so is history of geology, starting a bit after William Smith's time (see The Map That Changed The World for him), with the designation of the Permian era (it's named for the Russian city of Perm) by the English geologist Murchison, and the victory by Lyell of uniformitarianism over catastrophism, that wasn't really overcome until about 1980 with the discovery of the iridium-loaded clay layer at the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary by Alvarez et al.

The next 100-150 pages discuss the biota of the Permian, reconstruct the Permian world, and discuss what is known about the boundary, what survived it and what the world looked like after, and physical causes and effects as recorded in the geological record. It doesn't seem that an impact is to blame here; rather, a massive episode of volcanism, a spike in planetary surface temperature, and a large release of methane from the ocean floor. Oxygen levels in both atmosphere and oceans plummeted and the post-catastrophe ecosystems were very species-poor.

The last 50 pages or so discuss mass extinctions in a more general way, inevitably bringing up the one we humans may or may not be wreaking now. This is the weakest part of the book.

I'd be interested to know post-2003 discoveries about the Permian-Triassic boundaries. The book doesn't present a tidy solution or complete discussion of the event; there's still room for further analysis, clearly.

I read that last year. Very interesting book.

Letters to a Young Mathematician, by Ian Stewart.

Written as a series of letters from a mathematician, as from an uncle or long-time family friend, to a girl/young woman ("Meg"). They are spaced in time over her academic career: beginning during the equivalent of early high school, though undergrad and graduate school, postdoc, early university faculty years. Encouragement about what mathematics as an endeavor (and later, as a profession) is all about, including introduction to problems famous and otherwise, why pre-college math looks almost nothing like the math that real mathematicians spend their time on, how to choose or be chosen by the right advisor in grad school, and some glimpses into the world of research mathematics. Well worth putting this one into the hands of any bright, potentially mathematically oriented high-school student (or, perhaps, earlier); the right person could well find this one inspiring.

Still "reading my way into American history," to quote William Polk (Birth of America: pick it up for the footnotes, if anything. Seriously, lose your sense of entitlement and do some thinking to go with the reading before you publish). I've finally found one that a layperson might like if a layperson could like that thing.

Jon Latimer, 1812: War With America (Cambridge: Belknap for Harvard UP, 2007; 978-0-674-02584. Don't confuse it with the lesser effort by Canadian author Mark Zuehnke, with its similar dust jacket design. And perhaps used caution if your veins run red-white-and-blue, as Latimer's point is that, bulletin: America lost. As always, the themes of the day invade history, and 1812 starts looking astonishingly like the misadventure in Iraq, with the difference that Madison had the good sense to pull out (and a great deal more help from Castlereagh and Liverpool than G. W. is getting.)

It was a draw in that Britain didn't want to come in a stomp the US at the time, since they were kind of busy elsewhere.

I'm trying to think of which goals the US achieved from that. Perhaps less shanghai tactics on US ships? Other than that though, Canada was certainly a bust.

That was was basically just called off as it wasn't worth fighting by either side. Despite the success of the blockade, it could be considered something of a victory for the Americans as it ended in a treaty wherein the British effectively recognized the United States as a sovereign nation.

Hmm..in what sense does he mean that? It looks like a draw to me' date=' and given that that's the best an upstart nation could expect against the superpower of the time, it's hard to say the US did badly.[/quote']

Let us not forget also the effort of Hawk in the US administration who felt it was part of Canada's destiny to join with the US. Seriously, many US rep/sen felt that Canada would welcome the Americans with open arms, eager to throw off British citizenship.

Main problem was that in Upper Canada (Ontario), many of the settlers were decandents of United Empire Loyalist. Basically they were Americans who were kicked out of the US for remaining loyal to the Crown. Many left just short of a lynch mob and most lost all their possessions. These were not the people who would remember the US fondly. Remember this was at most 30 years after the end of your revolution. For many this was recent history.

The French in Lower Canada had been given alot of latitude by the British and were not sure the US would honour those bargains if it came to power.

The Maritimes were basically like Ontario.

So yes the sailor conscription problem was one element for the war. But another was the desire to kick the British out of North America completely.

So as far as most Canadians regard it, we won. Why? Because you didn't conquer any Canadian territory. We still didn't know who we were, but we knew who we were not, Americans.

• 4 weeks later...

Click: What Millions of People Are Doing Online and Why it Matters

by Bill Tancer

This is actually a pretty interesting topic, and I'm surprised how relatively new the concept is. Tancer works for a company that tracks internet searching. Tancer pores over the billions of bits scanning for previously unseen patterns. He discovers some interesting and completely counterintuitive patterns occurring (the big example: January is the prime month for prom dresses) and he's able to really dig and ask the question 'why is that happening?'

It is a tale told primarily from a marketing perspective, but it also offers some keen insight into the real curiosities and fears we all have. Our search patterns and habits can reveal more about us than we ourselves are ready to admit.

A bit technical at times, with a handful of graphs, but I thought it was well worth the read.

Microtrends: The small forces behind tomorrows big changes by Mark J. Penn and E Kinney Zalesne.

Covers a whole bunch of movements. Small ones. Ones that affect around 1% of the population (give or take). It was interesting. Some of the trends I had already heard of, like more 'Cougers' going after younger men. Others were a surprise (roughly 1% of young men in California aspire to become Snipers. It was an open ended question, but the young men didn't just say 'join the army'. They went straight to sniper.)

He gives the research on why he sees these groups as emerging trends and how he thinks the business world can take advantage of them. I don't know if I can recomend buying the book, but you might skim the chapters (each trend is covered quickly, with about 5 pages each) and read a couple that jump out at you in the bookstore.

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond

It was pretty good. It didn't cover as many different collapses as I might have liked (he mentions Ankor Wat and Greece so freakin briefly . . .) but it was an interesting perspective. I might be interested in reading a good rebuttal, if the scholarship seemed honest.

A Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans by Michael Farquhar

This details the story of many historical figures who are interesting, but not much remembered. I haven't finished, but I have enjoyed it so far.

The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth. Pretty good book, with a good breakdown of exactly why each food made the list, as well as a good bibliography and some useful web links. Didn't really pick up much practical info I hadn't already taken away from other books on the subject, but it did convince me to make an effort to include a few things in menus I'd been ignoring. I sometimes think that books like this and the Superfoods series take too technocratic an approach to eating, looking constantly at the nutritional function of food and ignoring the equally important function of taste, both in isolation and as part of a cuisine. On the other hand, I'm a hedonistic eater by inclination; it's probably best for me to be regularly reminded of the nutritional side of what I'm eating.

Jared Diamond is the most influential historian of our generation, cuz he knows so much more than other historians.

And he was trained as a botanist. Which raises the point that sometimes "knowing" isn't the same as knowing, if you get my drift. People have refuted Diamond on a case by case basis: Karin Seaver's demolition job on the Greenland thing is memorable; Heather McKillop, The Ancient Maya is too cautious to entirely reject "collapse theories," but the discrepancy between what we know and the big picture stories is striking.

Easter Island is particularly exotic. The big history of the island that's out at the moment is a second edition fo the work from which Diamond drew. The critiques that I'm aware of are generally journal articles, and I can't put my finger on the authors.

I strongly recommend Norman Yoffee, Myths of the Archaic State for Mesa Verde specifically and "collapse" generally, just because it is a theoretical work of the first importance for everyone who wants to be an informed citizen of the modern state. Adam T. Smith, The Political Landscape, which I have touted endlessly on this board, is a sort-of amplification and restatement. In deference to the critics, though, Archaelogical Review thought enough of a run-on review of Yoffee to publish it as an article recently. Can't remember the author's name, but he had a fiery-hot mad-on about Yoffee.

If it was brought up, Martin Byers, Cahokia: A World Renewal Cult Heterarchy

In other news, my recommendations for generalist-level reading should be taken advisedly, since there's a reason that I'm reading myself into an area. That said, Alison Weir, Elizabeth the Queen makes a good claim that we need a more personal look at this pivotal ruler. I also found it a good prep for reading Susan Ronald, The Pirate Queen. (The latter is a little dry for a researcher trying to refashion herself as a popular reader, and a little less daring than my favourite of the genre so far, Benjamin Woolley, The Savage Kingdom: The True Story of Jamestown, 1607, and the Settlement of America.) Woolley is a little less ready to think outside the box (read: is less of a crank) than I am, so I was a little disappointed about the strength of the conclusions he was ready to draw.

Summary:

Against Diamond

Karin Seaver, Frozen Echoes: The Norse in Greenland and Beyond (subtitle is basically my reconstruction; don't type the whole thing into a library catalogue and expect to f ind the book!)

Heather McKillop, The Ancient Maya --a good book for serious readers

Norman Yoffee, Myths of the Ancient State ---one of the "big" books of the era, unfortunately neglected for its apparently narrow focus

Adam T. Smith, The Political Landscape --ought to be far more widely read

Byers --So many downright silly things have been said about Cahokia that it is a pity that the first serious book about it should be such heavy wading.

What I've been reading that is worthy mentioning: Alison Weir, Susan Ronald, Benjamin Woolley, and probably, once I struggle through the Doughty story one more time, Stephen Coote, Drake.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the early reviewer book I won from LibraryThing. I'll have to be choosier next time.

1,000 Dollars & an Idea

Sam Wyly

Every book has its reader. In the interest of full disclosure, I am not the audience for this book.

The book’s subtitle could well be “All I really Need to Know About Being a Billionaire I Learned in High School Football.” Part biography, part motivational speech, this book doesn’t do either particularly well. I don’t read motivational books, so I’m admittedly probably not the person to be discussing this aspect. The lessons learned, which are passed on with exceeding casualness, are generic and trite. Never give up. Don’t be afraid to fail. You have to work for what you want. Like many motivational speakers he presents these clichés as though they were a cure all. “I wasn’t afraid to fail, and now my cancer is gone!”

Wyly leaves a lot of important details out during this pathway to success. In one paragraph his family is poor and living without running water and electricity, but in the next paragraph his father buys a newspaper business. Simply believing in trite sayings doesn’t make that happen.

As the book progresses it slowly transforms from historical pep talk into an actual biography. The second part of the book is actually interesting. Gaps in the story still appear. He glosses over important points while spending paragraphs describing trivial details. Wyly’s casual tone makes for easy reading, but he has a tendency to slip into economics jargon so easily that you can get lost. He is like a teacher who doesn’t realize that he lost his students long ago. You plow through, though, and find you can pick it up again…at least until he delves into the arcane lore of legal acquisitions and stock market filings once more.

“1,000 Dollars & an Idea” is a jumble of enjoyable stories, stock market lessons and pep talks. If you are the audience for this book, you’ll probably enjoy it quite a bit, but don’t expect any spectacular insights.

• 1 month later...

Zooom!

Where's My Jetpack?

A Guide to the Amazing Science Fiction Future that Never Arrived

by Daniel H. Wilson

With the particular crowd it probably goes without saying that looking back on technology predictions from the early years of science fiction has been a very popular topic of the last decade or so. Jetpack continues the trend with a fun tongue-in-cheek attitude as it examines past predictions such as flying cars in every garage, food in a pill, and colonizing the moon.

The real meat of it, though, is the look at where we are now with this tech. What ideas are still being worked with, which ones have been largely rejected or relegated to novelty status? If you're like me then you've seen a lot of this kind of science fiction meets science fact stuff, but there were still some surprises inside. I didn't know, for example, that there is now an anti-sleeping pill which will let you stay awake for a week at a time with no ill effects! Very neat.

It's a short book and a fun read. The cover is very stiff (for a paperback) and coated with silvery metallic ink to enhance the retro-futuristic feel. Worth borrowing from your library :thumbup:

Re: Zooom!

Where's My Jetpack?

A Guide to the Amazing Science Fiction Future that Never Arrived

by Daniel H. Wilson

With the particular crowd it probably goes without saying that looking back on technology predictions from the early years of science fiction has been a very popular topic of the last decade or so. Jetpack continues the trend with a fun tongue-in-cheek attitude as it examines past predictions such as flying cars in every garage, food in a pill, and colonizing the moon.

The real meat of it, though, is the look at where we are now with this tech. What ideas are still being worked with, which ones have been largely rejected or relegated to novelty status? If you're like me then you've seen a lot of this kind of science fiction meets science fact stuff, but there were still some surprises inside. I didn't know, for example, that there is now an anti-sleeping pill which will let you stay awake for a week at a time with no ill effects! Very neat.

It's a short book and a fun read. The cover is very stiff (for a paperback) and coated with silvery metallic ink to enhance the retro-futuristic feel. Worth borrowing from your library :thumbup:

IIRC we discussed the "No sleeping" drug, and it is NOT without ill effects. I believe Markdoc posted the facts that often are missed.

Re: Zooom!

IIRC we discussed the "No sleeping" drug' date=' and it is NOT without ill effects. I believe Markdoc posted the facts that often are missed.[/quote']

I'll have to look for that. This is the first I recall of hearing about it.

I just discovered this guy has some other awesome titles, like How to Build a Robot Army: Tips on Defending Planet Earth Against Alien Invaders, Ninjas, and Zombies, How To Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion, and Mad Scientist Hall of Fame: Muwahahahaha! He may not be the best writer, but he sure knows how to pick subject matter! :D

Evidence and Inquiry: Towards Reconstruction in Epistemology (1993) by Susan Haack.

In it she proposes a solution to the regress problem via a synthesis of Foundationalism and Coherentism. I'm still pondering it. On its face it seems like a solid beginning.

One of the underlying implications of her theory "foundherentism" [needs a less awkward name], which I find compelling, is the notion that schools of thought in terms of approaching knowledge aren't mutually exclusive in of themselves.

/note, from here on I'm dissecting her premise and building on it.

I don't know that she intended to imply skepticism, foundationalism, coherentism, infinitism, and like approaches are epistemological methods rather than independent systems, but it logically follows from her attempt at synthesis, and opens the door for a much more robust approach that uses the right tool for the right job rather than trying to cram square pegs into round holes [metaphysically speaking, of course].

It would be interesting to see an attempt to bring a more profound synthesis of a broader range of competing methods to fruition.