A campaign for my kids

incrdbil

Ok, its time to really start bringing my kids up geek. Their first RPG. My girls, 10 and 12, plus my wife will be the players. the supers genre was chosen.

So, should I grab Teen Champions, PS 238, Or just wing it? Doing a 'super' school game with starting 200 point heroes won't be too hard. Considering they won't be looking at the rulebook, I'll be making the characters based of what they say they want to play, and none of them know much about the CU or PS 238 for that matter, would there be any benefit to using those books?

Re: A campaign for my kids

Caveat: I do not own either PS238 or Teen Champions, nor have I seen either one yet. If my understanding is wrong, I apologize in advance.

However, I understand that PS238 uses a simplified version of the character rules, kinda like Sidekick (but not exactly the same).

Since your kids (if not your wife) are starting out new to the system, that might be an easier intro to the Hero System.

Also, I think the setting might be a better fit for the kids. You could even maybe slightly adjust things to make PS238 a middle school / junior high rather than an elementary school. Unless you home-school, that could make it a familiar setting to the 12 year old, and a "promotion" to the 10 year-old, adding to the appeal.

Just my $0.02, YMMV.

Having just read through the book (thanks, Susano!), I would cast my vote for PS 238, also. A well-done presentation of the concept, coupled with a decent subset of the system rules.

You might want to get and provide copies of the comic series for perusal, if only because they're a smashing good read. :)

or a bit of dark champs tas wouldn't hurt either

sorry if i'm out of line

Ack...scooped again :D

I was going to suggest PS238 or Teen Champs with a dash of DC:TAS.

You could go straight TC. It all depends. What type of comics do they like?

Ack...scooped again :D

I was going to suggest PS238 or Teen Champs with a dash of DC:TAS.

You could go straight TC. It all depends. What type of comics do they like?

they mainly have there superhero fix from the Justice League cartoons, Teen Titans, Batman and Superman Cartoons.

Then they watch all of the super-hero themed movies appropriate for their age.

They've read a few comics, mainly the Teen Titans ones and a few other kid suitable comics.

they mainly have there superhero fix from the Justice League cartoons, Teen Titans, Batman and Superman Cartoons.

Then they watch all of the super-hero themed movies appropriate for their age.

They've read a few comics, mainly the Teen Titans ones and a few other kid suitable comics.

I have a build of the animated Teen Titans I used at a Con I can shoot you when I get home if you want. If you ask around on the board there are some good builds around.

But if they like those shows they will like Teen Champions/DC:TAS

I'd get them some PS238 comics first (or read on-line) and see what they think.

However, if they're expecting a JLA-like campaign, then either Teen Champions or PS238 could be a bit of a switch mentally for them. I have both and I think they'd be a little jarring for someone who was expecting a regular campaign. Unless of course the PS238 comics are a big hit, or Sky High gets voted on as the campaign setting.

I'd consider a regular 350 point Champions game with an appropriate campaign (positive outlook, black and white morality, not very realistic, no blood and guts) and go from there. I assume you'll be doing most of the rules and character write ups.

Further, I think you should try to make a campaign city that echos the comics they have seen. Something that both the JLA and Batman would fit into. Bright and shiny buildings and people, right next to dark streets where the PCs can get their abandoned warehouses and deserted waterfront fix. You might be able to adapt Hudson City or Vibora Bay.

Keep the villains very recognizable and similar to the comics. Black Harlequin comes to mind as a potentially good villain. Champions Universe has a lot of "homage" characters, exploit that shamelessly to provide a familiar campaign world for your family.

Unless of course the PS238 comics are a big hit' date=' or Sky High gets voted on as the campaign setting. [/quote']

Well, the girls really loved Sky High. But heck, my oldest loved Justice League: New Frontier, and it was fairly grim at points. The school setting would be something, of course, really familiar to them.

But you right about the expectations. I was thinking about doing 200 point, just starting out heroes, but that power level isnt quite what they are looking at. I think I'll raise that up a enough to clearly make them superheroes.

incrdbil

PM me an email address and I'll send you my versions of the Teen Titans and the character sheets I used. If you use HD3 I can send those too. The Character sheets are slimmed down with most of the numbers stripped off.

Well' date=' the girls really loved Sky High. But heck, my oldest loved Justice League: New Frontier, and it was fairly grim at points. The school setting would be something, of course, really familiar to them.[/quote']

I would literally put it to a vote. Explain how each of these settings will play out, and let the family choose their favorite. I think perhaps a bit of deference to the youngest ones, who will be quick to loose interest if they don't get what they want, would be wise for everyone's enjoyment.

Teen Champions and PS238 have a good explanation of the genre. The players are children, and first and foremost they are expected to go to school. Be in class, pass tests, etc. Regular school stuff. Of course, the GM will arrange for adventures, but the players aren't supposed to be regular crimefighters or anything. That's the biggest difference I see. Schools kids don't fight bad guys, not normally anyway.

Considering what Gojira mentioned, I would suggest not using PS238. I don't think kids would really enjoy playing an RPG about going to school. They are already there for at least 6 hours a day.

If you really want to do younger heroes, perhaps you should aim for a more after school/ weekend hero type scenario. Basically leave out the school (for the most part) and concentrate on the lives of the characters after the bell rings.

Lots of great ideas. They seem to want to play close ot ther ages, so a school background is sort of unavoidable, but I'll try to keep it from dragging things down. Maybe use the Harry Potter stuff as a guideline--the school is a springboard for adventure.

Of course, another idea is to put them i a regualr school, and have their abilities secret. Playing out keeping the big secret coud be fun for them. I'll talk it over a bit more with them to see if I can get a wee bit more detail.

My wife has never tried the superhero genre before. Should I find it ominous she asked ot play a mind controller/telepathic character? :)

Considering what Gojira mentioned, I would suggest not using PS238. I don't think kids would really enjoy playing an RPG about going to school. They are already there for at least 6 hours a day.

I was going to mention that too. For the most parts, kids don't want to act their age. You get 10-12yos watching the stuff like Hanna Montana & That's So Raven (young teens), you get young teens watching stuff like Dawson's Creek or The OC. Usually if they play let's pretend, it's one age step up. So, Teen Champions might be a better fit. If you're not too obvious you might even be able to sneak in some real life RP'ing about smoking and drugs and etc.

Not that I personally have kids, but my sister has a whole passle of them.

One more thing...

"Galactic Teen Champions"

One more thing...

"Galactic Teen Champions"

This was my idea also after reading some of the other replies on this thread. Allow for kids on the JLA Space Station rather than in an earthbound school. Super Girl and Super Boy rather than Sky High.

Unless they are playing their ages, forget school then. Get out the Justice League satellite.

CES

Yup.