A campaign for my kids

incrdbil

Re: A campaign for my kids

My wife is flexible, said she would go with what the girls like. And my girls, of course, immediate chose different options, just to argue with each other. What I sense is, that both are ok with being in school, but they both really like the idea of a super-hero school.

So, here's my plan:a school for young superheroes who still want to keep seperate identities. So, during the morning, its regular old school. Then through arrangements by a generous offer, scholarship, or whatever it takes to fool the school system and parent they go to a new, cutting edge school for kids of diverse talents in the afternoon.

This school is actually maintained by a retired superhero who finds young supers, and offers them a school to come to to train in their abilities and learn crimefighting skills while protecting their identities. (Maybe the old hero does it out of a sense of guilt, a young hero he knew, or sidekick he didnt train well enough got hurt really bad, or even killed..or so he thinks..duh-duh-duh).

So, they have the normal trials and tribulations of school (plus the extra angst of going to the 'wierdo school' as called by their normal classmates) plus the plot potentials of super-hero training. If the normal school bit isn't going over well, I just reduce it, or have them transfer full time to the super-school.

I can easily put the super school in a sattelite, flying in the air or whatever. The age range of mutual consent is 14 to 15 years of age.

Conflict can come from within the school, or outside. I'm going to ramp up the points a bit, using all this nifty Tenn titans themed stuff Spence was so kind to send me to help populate the school :)

I would suggest picking up that copy of Teen Champions. It contains Ravenswood Academy plus several NPCs to include other teen supers and staff. A great jump off point.

Plus the NPC's give some great ideas for character creation for new hero gamers.

My wife is flexible, said she would go with what the girls like. And my girls, of course, immediate chose different options, just to argue with each other. What I sense is, that both are ok with being in school, but they both really like the idea of a super-hero school.

So, here's my plan:a school for young superheroes who still want to keep seperate identities. So, during the morning, its regular old school. Then through arrangements by a generous offer, scholarship, or whatever it takes to fool the school system and parent they go to a new, cutting edge school for kids of diverse talents in the afternoon.

This school is actually maintained by a retired superhero who finds young supers, and offers them a school to come to to train in their abilities and learn crimefighting skills while protecting their identities. (Maybe the old hero does it out of a sense of guilt, a young hero he knew, or sidekick he didnt train well enough got hurt really bad, or even killed..or so he thinks..duh-duh-duh).

So, they have the normal trials and tribulations of school (plus the extra angst of going to the 'wierdo school' as called by their normal classmates) plus the plot potentials of super-hero training. If the normal school bit isn't going over well, I just reduce it, or have them transfer full time to the super-school.

I can easily put the super school in a sattelite, flying in the air or whatever. The age range of mutual consent is 14 to 15 years of age.

Conflict can come from within the school, or outside. I'm going to ramp up the points a bit, using all this nifty Tenn titans themed stuff Spence was so kind to send me to help populate the school :)

That actually reads a lot like ravenswood. Also if you can, you might try and contact Dr. Anomoly. We have a Ravenswood game(the setting has modified from the book though), and even a full roster of students. I suggest checking out www.castle-walls.org/hero/teen/yearbookmain.html. It has a lot of things prepared, and the Dr. can give a lot of insight in the operations. Also I would love to field any questions, although I wasn't involved in the generation of the setting, I do know a few details that migth add flavor.

Just a thought. Also I think the school thing might get old, quick. I know as a kid I would get bored fast playing a super version of myself that had to go to school. But maybe that is just me.

La Rose

If you can attend GenCon or Origins this year I am running my Meyerson Academy teen champions games. I have had players as young as 8 play (an they had a blast). I spend time teaching the system.

A suggestion that your family might like and I have slots open in my Origins events.....

Had you not already ordered the Hero stuff, this is actually a project I'd suggest the old Marvel FASERIp system for. Free nowadays (TSR basically gave the fan sites permission to make the PDFs available), and a very simple system to pick up and play for new players.

Of course, you can build a pretty simplified version of Hero by paring down the optional rules, too.

Bill, knowing your wife, and you..... Those two girls of your will have more than enough creativity to keep you busy, plus knowing you, you will be more than able to cope and adapt, seeing you have been my GM for more years on and off than I want to count.

Just go for what will make the girls happy and then adapt as needed.

• 2 weeks later...

First up--Wildefire, played by my youngest daughter. I gave her a semi-mysterious origin just for simplicities sake, and maybe for a special plotline down the road.

WILDEFIRE
Val	Char	Cost	Roll	Notes
13	STR	3	12-	Lift 151.6kg; 2 1/2d6; [1]
20	DEX	30	13-	OCV 7 DCV 7
18	CON	16	13-	
10	BODY	0	11-	
13	INT	3	12-	PER Roll 12-
11	EGO	2	11-	ECV: 4
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack: 3d6
16	COM	3	12-	

5/20	PD	2		Total: 5/20 PD (0/15 rPD)
5/24	ED	1		Total: 5/24 ED (0/19 rED)
4	SPD	10		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
7	REC	0		
36	END	0		
26	STUN	0	Total Characteristic Cost: 75

Movement:	Running: 6" / 12"
Swimming: 2" / 4"
Leaping: 2 1/2"
Flight: 20" / 40"

Cost	Powers	END
33	Multipower Fire based weaknesses, 50-point reserve,  (50 Active Points); all slots Custom Modifier (-1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Lack of Control; -1/4)	
3u	1)  Regular Fire Blast: Energy Blast 8d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points)	2
3u	2)  Strong Fire Blast: Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points)	5
3u	3)  FireBall: Energy Blast 6d6+1, Explosion (+1/2) (48 Active Points)	5
2u	4)  Fire Punch: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6+1, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (40 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20) plus Sight Group Flash 2d6 (10 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) (Real Cost: 5)	2
3u	5)  Blinding Flash: Sight Group Flash 6d6, Explosion (+1/2) (45 Active Points)	4

16	Elemental Control, 40-point powers,  (20 Active Points); all slots Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Fire Based Weaknesses; -1/4)	
18	1)  Fire Shield: Force Field (15 PD/19 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (42 Active Points)	1
24	2)  Fire Flight: Flight 20", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points)	2
2	I can take the Heat!: LS  (Safe in Intense Heat)	0
9	Protected Vision: Sight Group Flash Defense (9 points)	0

Perks
1	Fringe Benefit:  Membership: Clique

Skills
3	Acrobatics 13-
2	PS: Cheerleading 11-
3	Oratory 12-

Equipment

Image Inducer: Shape Shift (Sight Group), Instant Change, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/2) (22 Active Points)  [1 cc]

School Pin: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds, Number of Minds (x8) (25 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Radio, hearing, not mental (-1/4)  0

Ravenswood Costume: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)  0 

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 125
Total Cost: 200

100+	Disadvantages
15	Social Limitation:  Secret Identity  Frequently (11-), Major
15	Psychological Limitation:  Protect the Innocent (Common, Strong)
10	Psychological Limitation:  Curious (Common, Moderate)
10	Social Limitation:  Age--Under 16 in normal ID (Frequently, Minor)
15	Hunted:  Ravenswood Staff 11- (As Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)
10	Hunted:  Clique character belongs to 11- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)
10	Rivalry:  Professional (Head Cheerleader), Rival is More Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
5	Distinctive Features:  Clique (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable)
10	Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x STUN Cold Attacks (Common)
0	Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 200

Background/History: Tyra Wilde is a 14 year old girl who was much like many others until an accident on her 12th birthday. She was visiting her fathers workplace, and she was terribly bored with the office and the boring stuff he was showing her. He was called away to a meeting, and she decided to explore. The warnings on a nearby lab were only enticements to the over-curious girl. She doesn't remember what happened after she went in the lab--she woke up outside the building, her father very happy to find her. It seems a fire broke out in the building while he was gone, and the entire structure burned down. Tyra wasn't sure if she was responsible, but she was afaraid to talk about it. Shortly afterwards, she started noticeing odd things. She was always a clutz before, but now she was graceful, even acrobatic. And then came the day where she found she could actually control fire. Well, sort of. She's really good at projecting fire, controlling it is another story. Somehow, she had gained super-powers. Although becoming a super-heroine wasn't her first thought, she's always been kind at heart, and concerned for others, and the combinanation is leading to an inevitable destiiny.

Personality/Motivation: Right now, Tyra is a happy, fun loving girl, who is just as excited that her dream of being a cheerleader is possible as much as her powers. Her natural dexterity and speed before were very lackiing, but now she has developed skills that some say could make her an olympic athelete.

Next up, StarStrike

STARSTRIKE
Val	Char	Cost	Roll	Notes
20/50	STR	10	13- / 19-	Lift 400.0kg/25.6tons; 4d6/10d6 [2/3]
14/17	DEX	12	12-	OCV:  5/6/DCV:  5/6
13/25	CON	6	12- / 14-
13	BODY	6	12-
18	INT	8	13-	PER Roll 13-
13	EGO	6	12-	ECV:  4
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6
14	COM	2	12-

6/25	PD	2	Total:  6/25 PD (6/15 rPD)
5/20	ED	2	Total:  5/20 ED (5/15 rED)
3	SPD	6	Phases:  4, 8, 12
7/15	REC	0
26/50	END	0
30/51	STUN	0	Total Characteristic Cost:  65

Movement:	Running:	6"/12"
Leaping:	10"/40"
Swimming:	2"/4"

Cost	Powers	END
Heroic Identity, all slots OIHID (-1/4)
30	1)  SuperStrong:  +30 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points)	1
19	2)  SuperTough:  +12 CON (24 Active Points)
5	3)  SuperAgile:  +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
10	4)  Is that supposed to hurt?:  +13 PD (13 Active Points)
10	5)  Is that supposed to hurt?:  +13 ED (13 Active Points)
12	6)  Impenetrable Skin:  Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED)
16	7)  No, really, are you trying to move me?:  Knockback Resistance -10"
4	8)  I can move anything:  +20 STR; Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only for Lifting/Moving Things; -1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)	10
13	9)  Superflight..well, jump:  Leaping +6" (10"/16" forward, 5"/8" upward) (Accurate, x4 Noncombat) (16 Active Points)	2

Equipment

Image Inducer: Shape Shift (Sight Group), Instant Change, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/2) (22 Active Points)  [1 cc]

School Pin: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds, Number of Minds (x8) (25 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Radio, hearing, not mental (-1/4)  0

Ravenswood Costume: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)  0 

Perks

Skills
3	Computer Programming 13-
3	KS: Computer Hacking 13-
3	Electronics 13-
2	KS: The Superhuman World 11-
2	KS: Computer Security 11-
2	KS: Internet Fads and Trends 11-

Total Powers & Skill Cost:  135
Total Cost:  200

100+	Disadvantages
5	Accidental Change When angered of very frustrated:  8- (Uncommon)
10	Distinctive Features:  Mutant: Registers on Mutant Scanners (Not Concealable; Always Noticed ; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10	Hunted:  Clique character belongs to 11- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)
20	Hunted:  Ravenswood Staff 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)
15	Social Limitation:  Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major
10	Social Limitation:  Age--Under 16 in normal ID (Frequently, Minor)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Protective of Innocents (Common, Strong)
10	Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Darkness Based Attacks (Uncommon)

Total Disadvantage Points:  100

Background/History: Kimberly Star Woods seemed to be a typical kid, fairly smart, not too athletic; she spent a lot of time on the computer, though she wasn't interested in breaking into computers, she liked just knowing how. She also spent a lot of time on the superhuman forums and web pages. she liked trading rumors, gossip, and information on all of the various forums..though she didn't care much for all the jerks who seemed to like villains. Her time on the web was a refuge from all the usual tramuas of teen life. She had to put up with a lot of stupid boys whothought a girl couldn't know a lot about computers, but she found them easier to handle than many of the stuck up girls at her old school who called her a lot of names and tried to bully her. Then she turned 13, and life got weird. Her mutant genes kicked in. She realized that instead of reading about superheroes, she could be one!

Personality/Motivation: Kimberly is a bit shy, and not exactly overwhelmingy confident. Still, she's always been fascinated by superheroes, and the moment she realized she was developing powers, there was absolutely no dount in her mind what she would do with them. StarStrike has a very strong sense of morality. Bad Guys must be stopped, no matter what. She's got powers, and she doesnt liek people who hurt others or break the law so its pretty simple what she has to do, from her point of view.

Powers/Tactics: StarStrike can bring up a shining field of twinkling energy about her. When she does so, she becomes superstrong, tough, and quick. She can even fly! Ok, so its not flying, she just jumps really high. But she hopes one day to fly. Even when not manifesting her powers, her mutant physiology has made her a lot stronger and taller than most girls her age, which she is pretty sensitive about. Sometimes, when she gets really angry or frustrated, her powers will manifest, often leading to some property damage.

And now my wife's character, Synapse--the edgy 'wierdo' who just needs good friends to put her on the right track.

SYNAPSE
Val	Char	Cost	Roll	Notes
13	STR	3	12-	Lift 151.6kg; 2 1/2d6; [3]
14	DEX	12	12-	OCV 5 DCV 5
15	CON	10	12-	
10	BODY	0	11-	
13	INT	3	12-	PER Roll 12-
18	EGO	16	13-	ECV: 6
13	PRE	3	12-	PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6
12	COM	1	11-	

4/21	PD	1		Total: 4/21 PD (0/17 rPD)
4/21	ED	1		Total: 4/21 ED (0/17 rED)
4	SPD	16		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
6	REC	0		
30	END	0		
25	STUN	0	Total Characteristic Cost: 66

Movement:	Running: 6" / 12"
Swimming: 2" / 4"
Leaping: 2" / 4"
Teleportation: 15" / 120"

Cost	Powers	END
17	Teleportation Powers: Elemental Control, 34-point powers	
18	1)  Teleport Protective Field: FF (14 PD/14 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (35 Active Points)	1
19	2)  Stepping Out: Teleportation 15", x4 Increased Mass, x8 Noncombat (50 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)	5
11	3)  Back at You: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Full Range (+1) (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2)	4

11	Mind Shield: Mental Defense (15 points total)	0

28	Mental Powers: Multipower, 50-point reserve,  (50 Active Points); all slots Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)	
2u	1)  Ohh, I love Secrets!: Telepathy 8d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4); Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2)	2
2u	2)  Psychic Smackdown: EB 8d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points); Beam (-1/4)	2
3u	3)  Messing with your Mind: Ego Attack 4d6 (Human class of minds), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4)	2
2u	4)  See things My way: Mental Illusions 5d6 (Human class of minds), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Cumulative (60 points; +3/4); Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2)	2
2u	5)  I like things done My Way.: Mind Control 8d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points); Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2)	2	

Perks

Talents
6	Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Skills
3	Streetwise 12-
3	Stealth 12-
3	Lockpicking 12-
3	Acting 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 134
Total Cost: 200

100+	Disadvantages
15	Psychological Limitation:  Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Stubborn (Common, Strong)
15	Social Limitation:  Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major
10	Social Limitation:  Age (Frequently, Minor)
20	Hunted:  Ravenswood Staff 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)
5	Susceptibility:  Being Teleported by anyone/anything else, 1d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)
5	Unluck: 1d6
10	Distinctive Features:  Mutant: Registers on Mutant Scanners (Not Concealable; Always Noticed ; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
0	Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 200

Standard Equipment:
Cost	Powers	END
Image Inducer: Shape Shift  (Sight Group), Instant Change, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/2) (22 Active Points) (, )	[1 cc]
School Pin: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds, Number of Minds (x8) (25 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Radio, hearning, not mental (-1/4) (, )	0
Ravenswood Costume: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (, )	0

Background/History: Another year, another school. Her parents warned her that thsi was it. No more second chances. No more expulsions. No more trouble, or she was going to be in real trouble, maybe even sent to some juvenile detention facility. Desdemona sighed. Another lecture. It wasn't her fault. She just kept gettign bad breaks. Well, maybe that last time she deserved it, but those kids were so mean to others, she just had to teach them a lesson. Then that escapade sneaking out..well, the police wanted to call it breaking and entering, but she wasn't there to steal anything! Life is just so unfair. The only thing that makes her life bearable (even if she won't admit its also why she gets into so much trouble) were the powers she discovered just a few years ago.

Personality/Motivation: Synapse is a different kind of girl. she marches to her own drummer, both in fashion, music, and tastes. she's been labeled a wierdo for a long time now, but she doesn't care what the normal kids think. In fact, she doesn't really like normal kids that much, all trying to be alike, act alike, dress alike. For a long time, she sought out fellow 'individualists' but there's a lot of personality clashes there. She refuses to admit to anyone that hse is sort of lonely, and really would like some others with 'wierd' abilities to just to be with.

Powers/Tactics: Synapse has strong teleportation based powers, plus a good array of mental abilities. she's still learnign to harness them, and occasionally she loses focus and can't achieve the affect she was hoping for.

ok, Highlights so far.

The young would be heroes met while headed out to go shopping for back-to-school clothes. By odd coincidence, they happen to be on seen for a bold robbery by 5 2ell-armed thugs. More importantly, these thugs actually had the support of an actual supervillain. Fortunately, the young heroes had time to deal with the Thugs before Ogre turned his attentiosn to them. They were just puny little children, after all.

The three heroines manages to bring down the Ogre, after a scary fight. They left immediately afterwards to talk. Plans to meet again and perhaps fight crime together were made.

Rowan, former superheroine and headmaster of Ravenswood Academy managed to witness the fight. It wasn't hard for her to keep an eye out for the girls, and she eventually approached them, offering then a chance to go to her school (using scholarships for synapse, whose mother could never afford the school). The girls accepted, andf the parents agreed, all 'surprised' to hear how such a prestigous school was interested in their kids.

Fun items of note: Wildefires impromptu attempt at instant change, by wearing her uniform underneath and activating her forcefields led to her burning up her normal clothes. she said she had an extra set of cheerleadign workout clothes..carried with her, and burned up as well.

Synapses attempt at teleporting the girls out of the arealed to them making a splash, literally, in a nearby park pond/fountain.

Starstrike attempting a move through even if my daughter didnt know the combat move by saying 'I jump at the Ogre as hard as I can and tackle him"--trying to save Synapse who was in trouble.

Another fun moment was Wildefire discovering just how far out her flash-explosion went. StarStrike found out just how far that was as well.

Lot's of girly-behavior (with my wife getting to ham up playing a 14 year old giel with her daughters) and talk during the fight ('ohh, look at those shoes).

Next week, they tour Ravenswood with the parents, then the first day of high school.

• 1 month later...

so...

Are you still doing the campaign or have you given up on it, because of the lack of info since the last post from July.

I don't mean to sound rude, it's just that this campaign sounds really interesting and I would like to know more about what happened to the teen heroines.

I'll post a summary of the latest arc--school starting up has put a little crimp into activities, so its sort of an every other week game.

But, as of right now school has started, they have gotten into their classes, meth their classmates, and are balancing their regular classes versus the 'real' ones, as they call them, plus the bickering by the cliques within the school. I"m setting up an angel if rivalry with some upperclassmen, as the girls are relatively powerful for their age compared to most freshmen--even upperclassmen, which causes some jealousy. They had a brief encounter with a young would be vigilante from Old Detroit, who they think should be in school. The focus of this sunday will be an encounter with Generation VIPER.

Quote: "I wanna fight bad guys"

Good luck! I have started my oldest two girls into HERO and they love it. Don't worry too much about cliches; at this level they love the old tropes, and new ears make old jokes new again. I keep telling my wife we need a fourth child, because we need a rogue to round out the group, but she is strangely resistant to the idea . . .