Real Locations that should be fantasy

Eosin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wulingyuan park in Hunan, China.

The House of Winchester.

Periglacial freeze thaw honeycomb formation .

The Science Fiction Museum / Experience Music Project building in Seattle.

Awesome thread! Reviewed the whole thing before posting. Some of the links are dead, but lots of great stuff still to be found. Some of the links lead me down interesting side path . 90 years after the flood in Boston, it is still possible to smell molasses. THAT lead to some odd story ideas.

Awesome thread! Reviewed the whole thing before posting. Some of the links are dead, but lots of great stuff still to be found.

Good observation. Many of the links and image postings are moribund now. I think I'll try to update some of them, starting with Eosin's thread-commencing post.

The links below now lead to active web pages. I strongly urge anyone unfamiliar with these to check them out. They're spectacular and incredibly appropriate to fantasy settings.

I've been putting together a list of real places on Earth that seem to have been created by some aspiring fantasy writer. I'd like to know what everyone else has tucked away on their hard drives or bookmarked.

My List includes:

Museum of the Dead

Bone Cathedral

Wieliczka Salt Mines

Door to Hell

Crater Lake

Mirror of Heaven

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Chand Baori step well, Rajasthan, India, Around 900 AD, King Chanda had it built to solve the area's drought problem. Roughly 13 stories high, dug into a V-shape nearly 100 feet below the earth's surface, with an estimated 3,500 perfectly levelled steps, King Chanda devoted it to the Goddess of Joy and Happiness, Hashat Mata, upon its completion.

Chand-Baori.jpg

Chand-Baori-India.jpg

The Leshan Giant Buddha, Sichuan, China. Begun in 713 AD, and completed in 803, this is the largest statue of the Buddha known, and the largest statue of the pre-modern world.

Leshan-Giant-Buddha-China-Historical.jpg

Leshan_Giant_Buddha.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...