I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

SSgt Baloo

Re: I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

I hear ya brother! Been there' date=' done that, got a case o' them tee-shirts. :straight:[/quote']

It's very rare for me to have outright nightmares (had them as a child, but maybe a handful since middle school), but occasionally (once or twice a month) I'll have a dream that keeps me right above sleep, and I know that unless I walk around to "reset" I'll just slip back into that dream and won't actually sleep.

Instead of nightmares, I sometimes (maybe once a year) get something akin to a night terror (but not quite the same).

(Spoilered for possible rambling)

I am always in my own bed, but something else is there. Once, it was a spider the size of a dinner plate descending from the ceiling directly over my face. Another time, it was a gremlin-like creature crawling up the bedspread at the foot of the bed, and then along the edge of the bed toward my face. The most recent merely consisted of some noises, thumps and the such, which I "knew" were due to a burglar forcing the front door and coming up the stairs towards my infant daughter's bedroom. In all cases, I am laying in bed, unable to move, as these apparently real events take place. The last two or three, I'm able to recognize what's going on, and realize that I'm trapped half asleep and concentrate on just moving my hand, and after an interminable few seconds, I'm able to twitch my hand and finally wake up fully. Then walk around the house with my honkin' big Mag-Light and an axe, just to make sure there isn't any burglar.

I get that too sometimes. Not so much these days' date=' but years ago it was fairly common. The technical term for it is "Sleep paralysis with hypnogogic hallucinations." I took part in a study about it back in college.[/quote']

It's good to have a name, I guess.

What really got me was how full sensory it all was. I not only saw the creepy little gremlin approaching my face, I heard its breathing and the click of its teeth, and felt it through the blanket as it took each step up my body. I could smell something burnt and dusky from the spider as it descended, and some sort of slither as it let the silk out. The one with the burglar was auditory only, but by far the most terrifying.

When I was in high school, I had some dream where some kind of midget witch vampire (the only way I could describe it) thing with long claws made some crazy leaps and leaped on my shoulder like some crazy raccoon and was going to bite my neck. When I woke up. I was wild-eyed and knew it was a dream. But, my body would absolutely not move. After a couple of seconds it caused even more fear. So, I tried to scream but I couldnt.

It finally ended sounding like...

"mm....mmm....maa.....maa.......MAAAAAMMMMMMAAAAAAA!!!!!"

Yes, a 16 year old kid screaming for his mommy. :o

What I would consider my absolute worst dream was about a few months after our last cat had died. Somehow, he was alive again......except his body had been turned inside out (think that monkey in the experiment gone wrong in the Jeff Goldblum version of the fly). And my dream self could tell he was suffering but couldnt do anything about (which was on a more extreme scale than what I felt in his last days when he had stomach cancer but we didnt know yet.) It didnt scare me. But, it completely disturbed me out of my mind. For about 2 days, I was just in a complete depressed daze. I just couldnt shake the image. ANd while I wouldnt say I was even remotely suicidal. My thoughts lingered on "I'm still alive?.....who cares?" And I couldnt shake that thought out of my mind.

It does scare me sometimes how much it affected me. And I hope a dream never does that to me again on that level.

What I would consider my absolute worst dream was about a few months after our last cat had died. Somehow, he was alive again......except his body had been turned inside out (think that monkey in the experiment gone wrong in the Jeff Goldblum version of the fly). And my dream self could tell he was suffering but couldnt do anything about (which was on a more extreme scale than what I felt in his last days when he had stomach cancer but we didnt know yet.) It didnt scare me. But, it completely disturbed me out of my mind. For about 2 days, I was just in a complete depressed daze. I just couldnt shake the image. ANd while I wouldnt say I was even remotely suicidal. My thoughts lingered on "I'm still alive?.....who cares?" And I couldnt shake that thought out of my mind.

It does scare me sometimes how much it affected me. And I hope a dream never does that to me again on that level.

When I was in fifth or sixth grade, our dog was acting very lethargic, but our normal vet said she was just overweight. We put her on a diet, but she didn't improve. My parents took her to another vet, who discovered a massive infection. I don't know if there was no way to help her, or we just couldn't afford to help her, but my parents had her put down right there at the vets. A couple nights later, I had a nightmare that instead of having her cremated,

the vet had cooked my dog and was serving her up like a Thanksgiving turkey, with people pulling her legs off like drumsticks.

When I was in fifth or sixth grade, our dog was acting very lethargic, but our normal vet said she was just overweight. We put her on a diet, but she didn't improve. My parents took her to another vet, who discovered a massive infection. I don't know if there was no way to help her, or we just couldn't afford to help her, but my parents had her put down right there at the vets. A couple nights later, I had a nightmare that instead of having her cremated,

the vet had cooked my dog and was serving her up like a Thanksgiving turkey, with people pulling her legs off like drumsticks.

:eek:

When I was in Basic Training I had a lot of weird dreams. One that sticks in my mind is the one where my dad fell in two (he just split at the waist) and I put him and his legs into a wheelbarrow to take him to the emergency room. Dad was in fine fettle at the time, so I expect it was just the stress of military training.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a dream this morning. Very sci-fi.

I was on another planet, where the prevailing tech was middle ages(fire, swords, full plate armor, etc), but the ruling class were aliens with advanced tech, and some of the law enforcement had middling advance tech like rifles and steam powered horseless carriages. I was part of a rebel group, and several of us were watching two of our members being executed in a peculiar fashion. The condemned would have his hands nailed to a board spread across his shoulders, so his arms were outstretched, then a noose put around his neck, and he had to balance on a teetering board twenty feet above the ground. If he lasted the length of an hourglass (actually 15 or so minutes), then he would go free, but due to blood loss or shock, it almost never happened. It was very entertaining for the ruling class to watch.

One of the rebels had already fallen to his death, but the other was teetering up there. I had to find my wife, who was also a rebel, as she was a crack shot with our illegal firearms, and she'd be able to hit the rope, and we'd catch our man and escape. I went searching for her, finding her on the other side of a wall, so I flew over the wall to get her. (It wasn't strange in the dream. I guess I had my own advanced tech? Some sort of anti-grav device?) The dream ended as I flew her back over the wall and we ran off to save our fellow rebel.

The other morning I dreamt that I had to deliver a giant cauldron of Navy Bean Soup (with Ham) to a group of orphans. The only problem being they lived on the other side of the river Styx, so I had to convince Charon to ferry me and my giant bubbling cauldron across the river. I offered him the best piece of ham from my cauldron of soup, but he said he was Jewish. That made no sense to me, so I woke up.

Last night I dreamt that I stabbed a man to death. After all, he was following me with a revolver out. So I ambushed him in a hallway. His blood was hot and sticky, and the smell of it filled my nostrils. I picked up his gun, a black snub ose revolver, and set out looking for the people who'd sent him.

....I still hear that haunting music in my head.

A male voice, chanting something, not in English, very repetitive. Reminds me of the music of Tangerine Dream in that movie Legend, but it's not anytemhing I remember specifically from the move.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that in the dream I also had a duffel bag full of Hero rules and was worried about traipsing through a blizzard

Last night I dreamt that I stabbed a man to death. After all' date=' he was following me with a revolver out. So I ambushed him in a hallway. His blood was hot and sticky, and the smell of it filled my nostrils. I picked up his gun, a black snub ose revolver, and set out looking for the people who'd sent him.[/quote']

Not really strange. Dreams like that happen to me all the time.

What? :straight:

....I still hear that haunting music in my head.

A male voice, chanting something, not in English, very repetitive. Reminds me of the music of Tangerine Dream in that movie Legend, but it's not anytemhing I remember specifically from the move.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that in the dream I also had a duffel bag full of Hero rules and was worried about traipsing through a blizzard

So, did Mia Sara with gothic look appear in your dream? We gots to know. :)

Had a dream this morning. Very sci-fi.

I was on another planet, where the prevailing tech was middle ages(fire, swords, full plate armor, etc), but the ruling class were aliens with advanced tech, and some of the law enforcement had middling advance tech like rifles and steam powered horseless carriages. I was part of a rebel group, and several of us were watching two of our members being executed in a peculiar fashion. The condemned would have his hands nailed to a board spread across his shoulders, so his arms were outstretched, then a noose put around his neck, and he had to balance on a teetering board twenty feet above the ground. If he lasted the length of an hourglass (actually 15 or so minutes), then he would go free, but due to blood loss or shock, it almost never happened. It was very entertaining for the ruling class to watch.

One of the rebels had already fallen to his death, but the other was teetering up there. I had to find my wife, who was also a rebel, as she was a crack shot with our illegal firearms, and she'd be able to hit the rope, and we'd catch our man and escape. I went searching for her, finding her on the other side of a wall, so I flew over the wall to get her. (It wasn't strange in the dream. I guess I had my own advanced tech? Some sort of anti-grav device?) The dream ended as I flew her back over the wall and we ran off to save our fellow rebel.

I do seem to have an exceptionally large amount of dreams with me being some kind of rebel against some tyrannical force or another. Makes we wonder a bit. :sneaky:

That and I seem to be a soldier lost in enemy territory in 'Nam a lot too. :straight:

Note: I also seem to be the part of a some kind of elite sniper in those dreams a lot despite the fact I cant hit a target at 50 yds with a .22 in real life. :o

So' date=' did Mia Sara with gothic look appear in your dream? We gots to know. :)[/quote']

Is that who that was?

She was waiting for someone. Not me.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary tells me it's time to wake up.

• 1 month later...

Now THIS one was a Doozey!

Last night I dreamed I was a young man who was trying to court a woman (Doris day -- back when she was HOT!) who worked in an office as a secretary. Her boss looked like the guy pitching catchphrases in this ad:

Someone else in the office had designs on her, and when he discovered she was interested in me, he killed her and disposed of the body. While my character in the dream didn't know this, I myself did. I went on to become the physical therapist of boss-man's son, and, just as the sleazeball was about to pin the rap on me, I was recruited by the angels to become one of them and, among other things, clear my name and ensure Sleaseball the murderer got justice. My powers included the ability to read peoples' heart (emotions, desires and intentions), to give messages without being seen, invisibility, flight, desolidification, enhanced strength, etc.

While I was an angel, I also had a magical Lamborghini Murcielago Spyder. It could fly, become invisible and insubstantial (perfect for parking in the living room! ;)) I began doing my "angel work". The last part of my dream had me entering a house to implant the feeling of hope into a resident there. Just as I was exiting the house by flying up through the roof a woman in the room looked right at my invisible self and remarked "I see an aura without a body." I stopped and returned and asked her how she could see me. I didn't get to hear her answer because just then someone knocked on my door and woke me up. :P

I do remember another dream I had when I was in my teens. I was fighting in the Revolutionary War. I was like one of subordinate of George Washington. My main missions seemed to be guerilla-type, leading small forces in hit-and-run tactics.on the British (from what I could gather I was experienced at fighting out on the frontier before the war). I seemed to have 2 officers who were brothers under me during missions. The older brother was my #2 and was a perfect 2nd-in-command. While his younger was inexperienced and tended to fall apart in pressure situations. Unfortunately, on one mission we were ambushed, and older brother got taken down by cannon fire. Surprisingly, this pushes younger brother over the edge and he actually ends up being the one who organizes the men together to take the position. Then it seems to fast forward to the end of the war, where I mention to George Washington, how that younger brother really became an excellent officer and took up the slack once his brother died.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a couple in the last few days, probably brought on by the bout I've been having with food poisoning. :sick:

• Soviet Russians (all of them -- go fig) are attacking my airbase from a bunker right on the corner of that airbase. The troops are massed to storm the bunker and suddenly I realize that if they launch their nukes we'll all be destroyed. The US base was ready to launch their missiles in retaliation. I and a few other guys managed to get close enough to explain that since their bunker would probably not survive if they hit the base they were sitting on that maybe they'd be better off negotiating for peace. Just after the Soviets opened up their bunker, the US base launched it's missile, but detonated it high above the atmosphere. I can remember thinking "Wait! They aren't going to launch. Why are you launching now?"

• I went to visit a suburban family of elephants in 1960. We went to an amusement park where I was the only human. Later, when we got back, we rescued ducklings from wild predators.

• Last night I dreamt I was working at WalMart and was getting ready to go home, when I found a cache of oversized hershey bars in my locker. I was wondering how to get them out of the store without anyone thinking I was stealing them (in the dream, they were mine, but I had no receipts). Fortunately, I found my mobility bag in the bottom of the locker and packed them in that.

I dreamed of birds.

Not birds in flight, but birds nesting. Everywhere, many wild species. Right out in the open, on the ground, not in trees, or under any shelter.

I'm circling around some large, formidable looking bird - maybe the size of a turkey, but not of the largest turkey - and stumble across a large brown egg lying on the ground unattended.

I roll it towards the big brown bird, thinking maybe it belongs to that bird and if not, it still has a better chance of hatching if it's in some nest, but the nesting bird blocks the egg with its beak and rolls it away and gives out a cry that startled me because it sounded so much like it was saying "NOT (something)" (Probably telling me "Not mine, stupid.")

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary dreams