I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

SSgt Baloo

Re: I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

In my dream, I'm some sort of a hyper-capable detective seeking to find and stop some maniac who's trying to take over the world. I keep having to undo the damage he's done to someone just before I arrive (and just after he leaves). This damage consists of cheering people up because the bad guy said something "cruel" to them. I think he was more like Discord than Darkseid.

It was a post-apocalyptic world, and we were traveling through an endless desert in search of someplace safe to stay. We came to a large farmhouse with fields in back. The people there said that we could stay here, and if we were hungry we could go out to the fields to harvest some food.

So out we went, into the green fields. But instead of grain or vegetables, the fields were sown with nettles and thistles, planted in a way that make them look like food crops from a distance. Why would someone go to all the trouble of planting weeds like this? Then it dawned on me... these people were cannibals, who would lure unsuspecting survivors to their farm with promises of food and safety, and then kill then and eat them!

Well, I wasn't having any of that. The cannibals started hunting us, but I turned the tables. One of them was stalking me with a crossbow. I hid behind some rocks and when his back was turned I jumped him. I knocked him over and then kicked him until he stopped fighting, then I cut his throat with my pocket knife (the only weapon I had on me). I took his hat, jacket, and crossbow and started stalking one of his buddies. It was dark so I approached him, hoping that my silhouette would be similar enough to his friend's. I got behind him and (again with my pocket knife) grabbed him and started stabbing him in the kidney. I reversed my grip on the knife and started stabbing him in the chest, hoping to hit his heart. Then it dawned on my that my knife was too small to get deep enough to hit anything vital in his chest, so I started stabbing him in his throat. He went down. With the crossbow, I ambushed another one of the cannibals, shooting him in the back of the neck and killing him instantly.

By this time, I had garnered quite the reputation among the cannibals, so they decided to hire a professional assassin to take me down. I knew I needed to be smart, so I blended in with the population (strange part of my dream, that suddenly there's a large enough population for a stranger to blend in with!). I kept my head low and waited until I found my enemies alone, then I would strike quickly and fade back into the woodwork. But I always had to keep my eye out for that assassin, who I knew was out there somewhere looking for me...

I was a "presence" in the dream, sort of like a guardian angel. There was an ocean beach next to moderately steep hills with a dirt road running along the ridge. My guy was standing at the foot of the hill when a large bear, sent by the "enemy" (whoever that was) was about to attack. I stopped time, teleported my guy to the top of the ridge, facing the bear, and equipped him with a rifle and the knowledge of the bear's location and its intent to kill him.

Then I unstopped time and let things happen. I had hours of dreams like that last night

I was driving, minding my own business, when a cop car lit up behind me. I pulled over, and so did the cop car. Strange, since I was pretty sure I'd been under the speed limit. I stopped, and he pulled up behind me and got out of his car, looking the full picture with uniform, stiff, wide brim hat and mirrored shades. That was strange, though, since it was dark out. I rolled the window down, and asked why I'd been pulled over. He smiled a little, reached for his aviators, and said he was hungry. He removed his shades, which had hidden not only the empty sockets beneath, but also the thin, writhing tentacles that framed the empty sockets like eyelashes. I sat, paralyzed, as more tentacles reached out, feeling out the edge of the open window, caressing my face, reaching for my own eyes.

I was John Dillinger, and me and the boys were planning our biggest bank heist ever. With the money from a previous job, we bought an old abandoned farmhouse out in the boonies, where we could work and plan in peace.

Unfortunately, the Feds got word of what we were doing (the caretaker of the place sold us out) and they set up a listening post in a nearby construction site.

Fortunately, I knew about the Feds listening in, so I had a plan. Me and the gang spent weeks just doing nothing but fixing up the old farmstead. We didn't talk about the upcoming job, we didn't talk about previous jobs. We just got down to business cleaning and repairing the house, the barn, and the surrounding lands. We had plenty of money to live on for a while. We knew that if we just lived normal, boring lives then eventually the Feds would get bored and leave us alone.

It was kind of fun, just cleaning up the old place. There was a ton of work to do. I found an old soda machine and spent a lot of time fixing it up. I got it to work, and we all could get ice-cold root beer from it for a nickle (although it was very picky about what nickles it would accept). Once I got that fixed, my next project was to refurbish an old wooden deck. I had to sweep it off (there was a lot of broken glass on it), and then I scrubbed it, and after I was done I planned to get some wood stain and paint it. Other guys were fixing some old cars that were on the property, or re-doing the shingles on the roof, or cleaning up the inside of the house. Another guy found a big nest of spiders and was trying to figure out a way to drive them off without hurting them.

After a while, the guys started getting itchy to start working on our "real" job, so I went out to try to find the Feds and convince them to leave us alone...

I have begun to note recurrent themes in my dreams.

• Strange, wonderful cars and other vehicles: Many of my dreams feature airshows or used car lots with an amazing selection of eccentric vehicles, ranging from adult-sized pedal-cars to alien spacecraft being sold to cover gambling debts. Not all of them have a backstory, but in many dreams I get to drive them, either because I buy it in the dream or because it's "my car". Often I find myself travelling long distances in airplanes (sometimes I'm the pilot, others, I'm a passenger. Frequently there are airshows with very odd and interesting aircraft, many of which I assume were inspired by some artist's conception I saw in a book about future flight or some such
  • Wilderness parks and beaches populated by bizarre, often monstrous creatures: Last night I was part of a team of park rangers trying to capture something that looked like a 1/4-scale Gojira. There were many animals similar to the mammalian megafauna (like this) and I seemed to have a way with most of them. If there's a beach, the waters inevitably host very large, often unspecified dangerous animals. Frequently I find myself nervously swimming in these waters, looking for something big that's been causing problems for everyone. Although I'm not confident of my ability to deal with the threat, in the dream, I'm the best shot anyone has, so in I go. :fear:
  • Long road trips (or the occasional space voyage): My most memorable was the motorcycle trip I took with my 88-year-old mom to some lake resort in Southern California, followed by a quick ride through Mexico, Central and South America. Sometimes I drive from New Mexico to Germany or visit London (I've never been to the latter, nor to any British isle).

There's more, but that's all I can recall for now.

Anyone else get dreams with a Narrator?

Once that I can remember.

Dream opens with me and my best friend at the time hanging out in my basement. Then the narrator chimes in:

"Your best friend. You love him like a brother. So it comes as a complete surprise when he tries to strangle you." Which he precedes to do.

In an early instance of my taking control of my dreams, I then beat up my friend, pull out a phaser and zap the off-screen narrator.

No' date=' but I once had a dream with opening credits.[/quote']

Over the years, I've dreamt at least three complete films, with credits and everything.

One was an animated black and white horror movie, one a '60s Japanese spy film, the last a modern day horror.

I only appear in the last of these.

Weird is when you're dreaming that you're stuck on the cowcatcher of one of

the old-style trains, and it runs into something while you're still stuck on it.

I had the interesting misfortune to have that dream many years ago, and I

was sleeping on my side at the time. When the train in the dream had the

collision, my head came off the pillow so hard that I sprained my neck (for

lack of a better term); not exactly the best way to wake up, let me tell you.

Major Tom 2009 :nonp:

Anyone else get dreams with a Narrator?

Lucius Alexander

Oneiropalindromedary

My original answer was no, but I just remembered a dream I had as a kid. I was going to jump down from a ledge to the sidewalk. The narrator in the dream (it seemed to be a PSA) said it was unwise to jump down. Because if you did...

At that point I jumped, but instead of landing onto the sidewalk, I practically flew halfway around the world. My dream ended when I landed. I woke up and went back to sleep. Then I had the same dream. This pattern occurred four or five times that night.

Each time, my landing was different. Sometimes I landed safely, other times I crashed.

4 teenagers successfully convince the leader of a small clique that she needs a larger entourage and to agree to the merger of the two groups. However they demand that the new kids help them with a burglary of a corporation. The 4 teenagers agree but it goes wrong and one of the clique members gets shot by security. The 4 teenagers were actually working undercover to try to solve the burglaries, but what the clique didn't know is that the corporation they were robbing from was actually their secret employer getting them to do burglaries as a cover for industrial espionage. To divert suspicion they had the kids rob them, so they could be killed, sealing off the loose ends. The undercover agents are harder to get though, so they unleash their secret weapon, these swarms of gooey little creatures that tag intruders with slime so they can't pose as employees to escape....

No' date=' but I once had a dream with opening credits.[/quote']

Now, that I'd like to see.....

Lucius Alexander

....PRESENTS

A PALINDROMEDARY ENTERPRISES PRODUCTION

STARRING LUCIUS ALEXANDER

as HIMSELF

I have begun to note recurrent themes in my dreams.

With me, it's what I call The Infinite Building.

Sometimes it's like I'm dreaming a universe where there is no such thing as "outside." These dreams go back to my childhood. Often it's a school. Sometimes it's a city that's one big building. Almost never am I trying to get out, in the dream it just seems natural and unsurprising that the rooms and corridors go on forever.

Lucius Alexander

...SPECIAL EFFECTS BY: PALINDROMEDARY ENTERPRISES

Ordinary Effects by.........

Now, that I'd like to see.....

Lucius Alexander

....PRESENTS

A PALINDROMEDARY ENTERPRISES PRODUCTION

STARRING LUCIUS ALEXANDER

as HIMSELF

FEATURING TWO of the BALDWIN BROTHERS*

as the PALINDROMEDARY

* No, not Alec, two of the others.

I was leading a group of civilians--the last group of survivors--through the abandoned terraforming colony in an effort to escape the xenomorphs that were pursuing us. There were five or six of us scrambling down metal passageways and through claustrophobic storerooms. I was the only one who hadn't given up hope, and I had to constantly berate and encourage them to keep them fleeing listlessly through the installation. Several times I had to pick up or drag a civilian who'd collapsed in a puddle of despair on the floor.

Eventually we came to the edge of the main facility, and furtively crossed some open ground to a kind of portable structure that turned out to be a computer lab. We shut the door, hoping that the creatures wouldn't be able to find us if we weren't in the infested building. But it didn't work. They opened the door and started coming in. We threw whatever wasn't nailed down at them and held them off for a couple of minutes, and I managed to smash one with a metal chair. But they kept coming in. Finally I got irritated and imagined myself some acidproof clothes and an M41A pulse rifle and got to work. The rifle worked beautifully, hosing the bugs out of the portable. Leaving the civilians behind, I walked out, back into the main colony. I was going on the offensive.

• 2 weeks later...

The Fantastic Four and a couple of original characters are trying to figure out which villainous mastermind stole their third dimension and I'm thinking "It's probably related to you guys actually being comic book characters"...

I dreamed I was living in a Sims world, and not only did I know the cheat codes, I had installed mods to allow even more fine-tuning of each and every person or thing I met. This was good, because there were monsters coming and it was my job to protect the community. For the most part I was restoring elderly cars to like new and restoring youth and beauty to the women. Purely for aesthetic reasons. ;)

In the woods, my daughter found a small, pale, dead snake with the face of a human infant. We took it home, and in the course of examining it, it came to life. Over time, the face grew more and more human, and the snake-like body fleshed out. My daughter kept leaving toys on top of the snake-baby, either out of neglect or forgetfulness or possibly resentment at the attention the snake-baby was getting. By the end of the dream, snake-baby was fat baby Chinese girl, with a forked tongue. Although she was still as pale and cold as death, she wiggled and hissed for attention and love, crying silent snake tears.

I found a secret room in my house. I'm not sure how I found it, but there it was, behind the wall on one side of the house. It was a large room, completely unfinished -- bare plywood floor, 2x6 beams in the walls, no insulation or drywall or anything. Even the electricity was unfinished, just wires in the walls leading to where outlets and light sockets would be.

I was very excited. A whole new room! I began to make lists in my head as to how I would finish it. I would need to put in insulation, finish the electricity, put up drywall. I could then begin to paint, lay carpet, put in lights, finish the whole room!

I could hardly wait to begin moving all my things in here -- I was going to make it into my own private office. I could bring my comics, my bookshelves, my desk, even my painting supplies!

I found a staircase in the back of the room, going up. It led to the attic, which was also an unfinished piece. Smaller than the first secret room, but still another challenge! There was a fireman's pole in the middle of the room that led down, into darkness. I assumed it dropped down into the basement, but I wasn't sure. I wanted to explore it, but I had other things to do first. The main problem I had to solve was, hornets had gotten inside the attic and had built nests along the walls and ceiling. Before I could do anything, I had to get rid of them.

I went downstairs to get some hornet spray. I also armored myself up -- I put on a hat, a heavy jacket, goggles, and gloves. I buttoned myself up tight so that if any of the hornets came after me, they'd have a hard time finding exposed flesh to sting. I approached the main hornet's nest. It was huge, bigger than a basketball. I could see inside it, the tiny white larvae wriggling around. I didn't get too close; luckily, I had one of those pressurized hornet sprays that has a range of 20+ feet. I started to hose the nest down. The hornets went ballistic and began flying after me! But luckily, the poison did its work. They were dropping out of the air before they could reach me. I continued to hose the nest down well after its occupants were all dead, and continued spraying around at the smaller surrounding nests before those insects got wise and attacked.

My first task was complete. The hornets were dead. Now I had to figure out how they had gotten inside and seal it up.